San Antonio Rivals

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see the benefit of them merging.

First off, they both serve different needs within the drum corps community. If they were to combine, (probably as world class), that would leave one group under-served.

Also, as talent rich as SA and Texas are in general, I don't see any reason why they can't co-exist.

First off, they both serve different needs within the drum corps community. If they were to combine, (probably as world class), that would leave one group under-served.

Also, as talent rich as SA and Texas are in general, I don't see any reason why they can't co-exist.

What needs?

and I know for a fact that some crossmen members tried out for revolution originally and made the switch.

Plus I think the factor of "oh i want to march world class rather than a small open class" comes to play.

What needs?

and I know for a fact that some crossmen members tried out for revolution originally and made the switch.

Plus I think the factor of "oh i want to march world class rather than a small open class" comes to play.

Of course it comes into play, but don't you think it's possible there are kids who tried out for Crossmen, didn't make it, and went to Revolution? Might there be some kids that can't afford/aren't ready for/or don't prefer the World Class experience and time commitment that Crossmen offer, and would rather go to Revolution for the Open Class experience?

As with many Open and World class corps sharing the same area, there doesn't seem to be a reason why they can't coexist and thrive.

About the only strategic benefit I could potentially see them sharing is some joint operation costs.

both corps' seasons were fairly successful. This is almost like asking if the Boston Crusaders and any of the open class corps in the Northeast should merge. It happens a lot, that two or more corps are in the same area (California). I think both of these corps can draw the membership they need to be successful....they are the only two junior corps in Texas after all, a state booming in the performance arts area.

Thats true.

But Since Crossmen moved to San Antonio, Revolution has had problems getting members in their hornline and guard. In 2006 revolution had 36

horns and this pass season they had 25.

and I know crossmen have had some problems getting problems getting members as well.

Thats true.

But Since Crossmen moved to San Antonio, Revolution has had problems getting members in their hornline and guard. In 2006 revolution had 36

and I know crossmen have had some problems getting problems getting members as well.

I'd suspect as the Xmen deepen roots in Texas, more local kids will become interested in them, and drum corps in general. I'd guess that could very well benefit Revolution, too.

Thats true.

Pretty much every corps outside the top three (and even them sometimes) has trouble getting members.

I think from 2005-06, Revo should've taken advantage of its membership in regards to its size. Fielding a D3 corps of 77-79 members for those two years, didn't make much sense, since both years fielding a corps of 95-110 would've been easy for Revo. Now, since the Xmen are in town, those numbers are hard to achieve. I really wanted Revo to be the first real TX World Class corps, not another corps from another state who decided to move into TX, so it could take advantage of the great talent. Revo had the opportunity..............they let it slip away!!

The Crossmen were originally and successfully formed by a merger. I remember it well from the time. I also remember some corps' who tried to merge, but it never worked out because each corps wanted to keep its own instructors. That always seemed to be the sticking point.