Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

My friend marched BK this past season and said they fed him great...3 square meals a day. They give your child what is nesecarry to do what drum corps do everyday.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

That's just getting stronger. Sun damage? Sun block.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

Have you ever spent 3 months in sometimes 100+ degree heat, and if your son plays contra, with that huge thing on his shoulder? Rehearsing 12 hours a day every day? Obviously not. The heat, especially in the southern states, is only tamable by the lack of clothing. The members don't care, the staff don't care, and fans certainly don't care.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

First off, 14 year olds shouldn't be thinking about marching anyway. 16 is probably the lowest reasonable marching age. And when your child is 16, he/she should be mature enough to handle showering with other people.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

I don't know where you're getting the hazing. Do you really think the staff would condone such behavior? No way. They're kids, having fun. Nothing new.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

Again, kids having fun.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

This issue has been adressed by the directors of said corps.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

I'll just go point by point on this one....

1. People are talking about isolated instances of nutrition issues. This is certainly not the norm. If it were, don't you think fewer corps would make it to finals?

2. The summer does take a toll on the body. The reality is that this is our sport. Football, Soccer, and most other sports, if you are committed to them, take a similar toll. As for sun damage, wear sunblock.

3. First of all, the lack of clothing is strictly for comfort. It may not be suitable for "family entertainment," but it's not meant to be...it's rehearsal. I can assure you, when you're in your fourth hour of visual block, it's 98 degrees outside, and your rehearsing on asphalt, you're not checking out the people around you.

4. Yes, hooking up occurs. That happens when the males and females of any mammal species come together. Is it encouraged? Of course not. I've never heard a director say in a corps meeting, "Okay everybody, make sure you have lots of sex on the bus tonight...all of you!" 90% is a grossly exaggerated figure for any corps.

5. Showering together. Are you serious. Again, think about what you are saying? How many outdoor showers have you ever seen? Yes, it's happened, but it is again the exception, not the rule. As far as showering together indoors goes, males and females don't shower together. AGain, I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, but it typically doesn't.

6. Bus antics. There usually isn't hazing. Everyone in corps is there for the same reason. Is there stupidity on the bus? Absolutely! It's called blowing off steam and unwinding. It makes the experience, and it's really how a lot of people bond.

7. What happens in drum corps stays in drum corps. When people go to corps, they get to be somebody else. For a lot of people, they get to be themselves for the first time in their lives. People are more open with their thoughts, feelings, and actions. The activity requires that members express and emote, which wouldn't be possible if the members of a corps didn't have the utmost trust in one another. Naturally, there are some things that you either say or do that you wouldn't want people in "the real world" to know about.

8. I completely agree. I was sitting on the 50, front row for retreat. The Blue Devils trumpet player sickened me. The Blue Devils drummers who were laughing while he was doing it sickened me. There were some other sickening antics from retreat that night, but think about it this way... We've heard stories of about 4-6 people who tried to ruin retreat. There were 12 corps at finals, each marching about 150 kids. Out of the 1800 members that were on the field that night, we're complaining about less than a dozen of them.

My problem with your post is that almost every point that you've brought up is a rare exception. If you decide to not let your child marched based on these points, then I think you are doing your child a huge disservice.

I respect your opinion - like I said - I am looking at it from a "mothers point of you" not from the youth.

It is ok to be worried as a mother, but keep in mind there are responsible adults in charge of all this and so long as they know there won't be any negative repercussions from any actions, they will continue to allow the kids to do what they do. As far as clothing, it's similar to what people wear on the beach, sometimes more clothing than what some wear to the beach. Also, the valid points about family value take place during the rehearsal schedule or times when they are not meant to be performing to the public. So the "nudeness" you proclaim shouldn't be a problem to begin with because technically, there shouldn't be anyone from the public watching during that time. Sometimes the staff does not mind visitors, but keep in mind they are letting people in by their own accord. They may leave by their own accord.

Just one more thing I wanted to add:

Becky Terry was in the Crossmen from 1997-2005. She started winter camps with the corps when she was 12 years old. Her father is an ordained protestant minister who knew even then full well what happens in drum corps and supported her in joining a drum corps at the age of 12. He obviously did not think that allowing his daughter to participate would jeopardize his or her religious or moral principles, whatever they may be.

I'm going to venture and say the OP has been reading the "favorite staff quotes" thread on here. It's got quite a few "colorful" remarks.

I had staffers who were free with their language, and had many who were mindful.

This is the first iv'e ever heard of such a thing. Not to sure about that one, if anything very much isolated incidents at best.

Edited by Zeke

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

I'll bite

1. This isn't the case with modern drum corps I don't think. But if you are worried, then I would recommend as a parent to get involved with the kitchen staff and help make the decisions that you feel are in the best interest of both parents and kids.

2. No different than any other sport or outdoor activity (football? soccer? baseball? swimming? marching band?).

3. There's a lot of moving and sweating that goes on. It would be dangerous to wear clothing that could cause skin infections due to it rubbing on sweaty skin. And honestly, members are wearing no more or less than track and field athletes in uniform.

4. No different than high school IMHO

5. All showering occurs in school gyms, boys in boy locker rooms, girls in girl locker rooms. Just like P.E. class at school

6. Can't comment, I was sleeping every time I was on the bus

7. What happens in a family's home stays in a family's home... I hear that a lot.

8. Kids will be kids. Can't comment. My corps stood at some form of attention the entire time.

But yeah, if you really don't feel comfortable with your child marching (14 is a bit young for a national touring corps anyways, IMHO), then don't let them march. No one will judge you on your decision. But just think if it was like this (click to read)... then I would understand the concerns. members are fed 3.5~4 deals per day, are in a current state of athleticism, and are given the opportunity to tour the nation while playing music with friends. Team work, dedication, setting goals, understanding your body both physically and mentally are what the staff brings to the members. There are antics that are not acceptable, yes, and I can assure that staff do what they can to control that, but I personally believe that parents as well need to take an active role in their child's preparations for what is going to be a summer long trip on busses, especially if said child is under 18. This era of the activity has been going on for over 35 years. You would think if it is as bad as you make it out to be, then the activity would cease to exist... but someone must be doing something right.

I don't think you would be posting here if you didn't want your child to participate... but I don't know. If you're worried, then get involved with the corps yourself and help make the decisions. If not, then wait a few years, teach your child what you expect out of them, then let them take a shot at it at a more mature age.

wow...not sure exactly how to respond as a parent so I will say this, my son marched three years starting at 14. he came home a much different person. he was more responsible, more respectful and a bit more open than he was before hand. I saw MANY positives in his experience. Did he have some exposure to "bad" things? I'm sure he did, i'm sure he saw language and behavior that I may not agree with but I can only try to instill the qualities and morals in him, I cannot be there every time he is confronted. Back home I expect him to be offered to participate in bad things, thats what peer pressure is but I expect him to make the right decisions because thats what i've taught him at home and I don't think trying to keep him in a bubble is realistic.

I'm very proud of him and what he has one over the last three seasons

to be honest with you, i think you have SOME valid points however i do not agree with your level of concern. a lot of these concerns sound like the issues many parents have before sending their first child off to college. Also, college usually brings up the other big concern of drug and alcohol abuse, and i cant say that this concern should even be remotely as large for corps as it should be for college. Even that shouldn't be a concern for parents for college because chances are your son has already rolled a joint and shared some of dad's beer with at least one of his friends while in high school.

Also, athletes go through an equal amount of wear and tear on their joints. Every 14 year old has had a visual experience MUCH more explicit than seeing some colorguard girls wearing sports bras and rolled up short-shorts. Showering together not acceptable? I gather you mean same-sex showering together? Really? Unacceptable? Should everyone have to put on a full one piece bathing suit to clean themselves off because I assure you that won't get you clean.

one member said 90% of the corps hooked up? Which corps was that because apparently i missed out on a good time! That is exaggerated beyond belief. One person's opinion or experience does not reflect the entire activity's participants. The typical 15 year old boy tries to hook up with his new girlfriend 100% of the time when his parents finally leave the room. Try that for statistics.

Drum corps is a growing up experience. Corps builds Character. Kids need it now-a-days. Not many activities offer character in the magnitude that corps does. I wouldn't trade the character and drive i got from corps for a 100% perfectly wear-and-tear free knee joint ANY DAY. I am sure a lot of people would agree. There is much more to it than what the naked eye can see.