Rhythmic Gymnastics

I've just been watching the team rhythmic gymnastic finals on the Olympics. I think it would be pretty cool to see color guards doing some of this. What do you all think?

I've just been watching the team rhythmic gymnastic finals on the Olympics. I think it would be pretty cool to see color guards doing some of this. What do you all think?

I was not only thinking the same thing, I called a drum corps friend to make sure he had on the same event. (He was the one from whom I first heard about rhythmic gymnastics many years ago.)

My first reaction is: Color guards have their own set of equipment and rhythmic gymnasts have theirs. I don't see some of the apparatus working well in the environmental conditions of each others' venues. (Wind being a major consideration.)

I had never really seen this before today and I was glued to the TV just thinking about how crazy it would be to see to see a color guard group go out there and rock out. Also looking at the similarities and how simple the scoring is. But even they were talking about score inflation/slotting/etc. I think it's awesome to watch!!

As I was watching, I was wondering why the American Olympic Committee doesn't call up DCI and WGI for this. The United States should be able to go out there.

I can see competitive color guard becoming part of the olympics but incorporating rhythmic gymnastics into color guard is not a good idea.

When you think about it, most groups do something similar to Rhythmic gymnastics type stuff once and a while. A lot os solo work looks like gymnastics/dancing. They don't necessarily use the same apparatus but sometimes they use something other than a rifle sabre or flag. Ex: using balls for some part of the show or those shiny mirror things from Star back in the early 90's....can't remember show.

My wife was huge into color guard and while she thought they RG were cool she thought the idea of hoops and ribbons in color guard were a bad idea. I think she has actually suffered through using hoops or something like that once and it was just not cool to watch.

Leave Rhythmics Gymnastics to their venue and leave Color guard to theirs I say.

Not going to happen. You would have to audition worn-out gymnasts and balerina-wannabe's for it to be comparable. Did you SEE the dance moves and technique the rhythmic gymnasts were performing? NOTHING like that in WG or DC...just...different activities entirely.

Now, the equipment work was pretty simple, IMHO, compared to stuff that DC's and WG's do. But I'm also not an expert in any of these events--have to take that into consideration. But what I see/have seen color guards do just seems much more demanding. That being said, some of the "roll behind the head on the neck" and tosses, etc with hoops were pretty impressive in context.

All that being said, I really liked what I saw. I think it is really, really funny how many of us are thinking/saying the same thing. I'll bet we don't joke about rhythmic gymnastics any more, huh? Curling? Still gonna bash that. But RG, I think, has won some new fans in the DC/WG universe.

Thinking about it.

As I was watching, I was wondering why the American Olympic Committee doesn't call up DCI and WGI for this. The United States should be able to go out there.

My wife and I were just talking about this. Years back when they were trying to get baton into the Olympics, the argument was that it [baton] was too close to what rhythmic gymnasts do. They were told that if baton was introduced, it would be added as another element to rhythmic gymnastics, not it's own event. Meaning that baton twirlers would also have to learn ALL the other elements as well if they wanted to compete. I'm afraid WGI would probably fall under this same ruling and I just don't see that happening.

I'd like to see something along the line of what Blast did added but again, I know that won't happen.

Edited by skajerk