Phantom Regiment Battery

Tyler C.

I definitely wasn't bashing Crown, if that's your point. I've considered trying for Crown just so I could be closer to their brass line than the stands will allow. :rolleyes: But I consider Phantom's horn line on that same level, with a percussion section I prefer over Crown's (or anyone else's, for that matter), so I've made the Regiment my goal.... But Crown is definitely on my short list.

I understand having your sights set on Phantom and you should get the audition packet and go for it, if that's where your heart is leading you. However, Lee Beddis and staff at Crown are also top notch and would provide you with an extratraordinary experience. As far as Open Class, Teal Sound is relatively close and their percussion program is awesome, too. Bottom line - MARCH SOMEWHERE! Don't squander your eligible years looking for the perfect situation. Just DO it! I'm sure my son will tell you the same thing.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand having your sights set on Phantom and you should get the audition packet and go for it, if that's where your heart is leading you. However, Lee Beddis and staff at Crown are also top notch and would provide you with an extratraordinary experience. As far as Open Class, Teal Sound is relatively close and their percussion program is awesome, too. Bottom line - MARCH SOMEWHERE! Don't squander your eligible years looking for the perfect situation. Just DO it! I'm sure my son will tell you the same thing.

Thanks, Mr. Terry, I plan on it. :w00t: I'm gonna be doing some MAJOR fundraising for the rest of high school. Teal Sound would probably be my best option if I auditioned this year, for proximity reasons, but their tuition is actually higher than Phantom, and almost 1000 bucks higher than Crown! So I guess that makes Crown my best option. :w00t: I'm going to get Phantom's audition packet for sure, but in the meantime I have The Cavaliers' "Green Beats" from the 2006 season, and there are ALWAYS rudiments I can improve on. I'm probably going to take this year to practice, practice, PRACTICE, practice til my chops scream at me, then practice some more. Plus I need to focus big-time on academics this year, my junior year. PLUS, waiting til next November to audition will allow me to march my senior year with my HS marching band. :rolleyes: But my sights are definitely on Phantom Regiment. Rest assured, however, that if I don't make it there for the 2010 season, I'll take that tuition money to a corps who'll have me, and I'll try again for Phantom for the 2011 season. :doh:

EDIT: added "Mr." to my reference to the "elder" Terry. :w00t: I was mistaken and thought I was talking to your son! (He was my high school's brass instructor my freshman year, and arranged the winds for our show last year. Amazing man and musician. )

Edited by aNiMaL

I know percussion isn't Crown's strong suit,

Actually you don't really "know" what you are talking about. They beat BD, SCV and Cadets at finals this year, in drums. What more do you want?

Now that that's out of the way, you are trying out for one of the best quadlines in the world with no corps/WGI experiance. You need to be seriously bringing it at auditions for them to even look twice at you. Im not trying to discourage you, but I think you should have a back up plan of where else you can march.

I apologize if any of this has already been said, but i didnt get to read each entry.

BUT,

Just remember, they are grading your drumming at a high level, but thats not all!

You gotta remember that alot of times, corps like BD, PR, Cadets, Cavies are sort of an "Arrival" for guys who have marched elsewhere in Div 1. For example, I knew a kid who was one of the last 7 quad players at cadets a few years ago before they made thier final selections, then one of the final 6, then a young man who had marched another corps from a 10th place corps the previous two years showed up and was instantly given the nod.

Also,

These days, alot of it is about the feet! You will likely go through some kind of movement audition so be ready for it.

And yeah, you might need to rethink some things if you consider Crown something you might be "Settling" for as opposed to thanking your lucky gods.

I know alot of hot shot players who get turned away from corps because its about more than hands my man.

Best of luck! stay motivated, work the feet! and show up stone cold! (know the book!)

Tony

Ok, ok, I wasn't aware of Crown's percussion scores too much this year, I'll admit that. But I am aware that it's going to be extremely difficult, no matter where I go. Perhaps it'll make my point better if I say that I'm not the biggest fan of the percussion writing at Crown. High-scoring as it may be, I can easily pick seven or eight percussion sections I'd much rather listen to, from a compositional standpoint. That's huge to me. While technical skill level and prestige carries a certain amount I guess, the biggest part to me is the MUSIC itself. And consistently, Phantom Regiment's percussion writing has been my favorite.

Ok, ok, I wasn't aware of Crown's percussion scores too much this year, I'll admit that. But I am aware that it's going to be extremely difficult, no matter where I go. Perhaps it'll make my point better if I say that I'm not the biggest fan of the percussion writing at Crown. High-scoring as it may be, I can easily pick seven or eight percussion sections I'd much rather listen to, from a compositional standpoint. That's huge to me. While technical skill level and prestige carries a certain amount I guess, the biggest part to me is the MUSIC itself. And consistently, Phantom Regiment's percussion writing has been my favorite.

Yeah man,

I understand. We all have our favorites.

Just remember, although it happens, its rare to make those corps right off the bat.

My advice is get in wherever you can and get yourself experienced. Even some Open class and DCA corps can be of great value for learning what corps is all about. Its not just what you see on you tube. Touring drum corps is a huge undertaking and is almost always harder than people think.

Experience counts for alot. Think of it this way. If Drum Corps A marches 9 snare drums, and ages out 5 and 2 others dont return for whatever reason, that leaves two spots. The average high end corps will have over a hundred candidates for one section alone. If you have 2 spots, and say 40 young people who you can see have hands for it, how do you start eliminating?

The answer is feet, age, and experience! So if it comes down to two guys with identical hands, one right out of high school band, vs someone who has been in drum corps somewhere, the nod will probably go to the one who has been on the field at some point.

I dont think anyone means to discourge you my man, just tryin to prepare for what its like out there!

best of luck!

March somewhere, anywhere, the closest one, immediately.

Winter drumline, summer corps. Find someone to give you lessons.

Obsess.

Being involved and doing, at any level, is key. You will learn way more from the inside, than the outside.

March somewhere, anywhere, the closest one, immediately.

Winter drumline, summer corps. Find someone to give you lessons.

Obsess.

Being involved and doing, at any level, is key. You will learn way more from the inside, than the outside.

The first major issue I have is money, as I'm sure is a common issue in drum corps. I'd considered going for Teal Sound, but they're much more expensive than the World Class corps I'd like to audition for! The other two within reasonable proximity (for a 1st timer- I'll definitely be willing to drive to Rockford once I'm reasonably confident I have a shot) are Spirit and Memphis Sound. And, of course, Crown.

been said... but march somewhere...

previous experience can get you farther than you think.

not only that, i would recomend going to phantoms audition camp this upcoming season. you've never marched before and you're basing your ultimate life goal on youtube videos and watching some lots... go to a camp and check it out for your self before you bust your ### for three years go audition and find out you hate it...

if you don't like a weekend of it, you wont like 3 months of it.

(not saying you will hate it... i'm just saying)

been said... but march somewhere...

previous experience can get you farther than you think.

not only that, i would recomend going to phantoms audition camp this upcoming season. you've never marched before and you're basing your ultimate life goal on youtube videos and watching some lots... go to a camp and check it out for your self before you bust your ### for three years go audition and find out you hate it...

if you don't like a weekend of it, you wont like 3 months of it.

(not saying you will hate it... i'm just saying)

I'm basing it on the shows. Period. I would work through ANYTHING, deal with ANY manner of ######## instructor or member (if any), to be able to march with that corps and proudly declare "I MARCHED PHANTOM REGIMENT." I'm a pretty flexible guy, I go with the flow, so the corps could turn my life upside down to make it work for them, and I'd be fine with it. But if I can make it to a camp, I will. They can only help....