Phantom Regiment Battery

Tyler C.

I know it's been said but maybe it needs a lot of people to say it for people to actually do it! lol.

March somewhere.

Anwhere you can.

You will learn something - you will get better as a drummer/musician.

You will gain valuable experience.

For sure.

Too many people set there hearts on marching one or two corps and then when they don't make the cut they abandon their dream for a little while (quite often forever!)

do something to improve on all those areas mentioned above. Just sitting home with your Heavy Hitter pad wont, believe it or not, make you a better drummer. Getting out there and drumming anywhere, in a real drum corps, with real people, WILL.

Don't sit back, ever. Get out there and Make It Happen!

If you put your mind to it you will march Phantom at some point.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm looking into DCA, and I think my parents will appreciate the much lower level of commitment required, financially and schedule-wise. It's my only realistic option to march somewhere next summer before I try for the big boys next November. Alliance would be my best choice based on proximity (which is a HUGE deal for me, currently a junior in high school), and it definitely helps that they just won DCA Class A. :innocent: AND High Percussion at Finals! :blink:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm looking into DCA, and I think my parents will appreciate the much lower level of commitment required, financially and schedule-wise. It's my only realistic option to march somewhere next summer before I try for the big boys next November. Alliance would be my best choice based on proximity (which is a HUGE deal for me, currently a junior in high school), and it definitely helps that they just won DCA Class A. :innocent: AND High Percussion at Finals! :blink:

Hey "Animal" If you're looking for a DCA corps that will give you a junior corps experience, then ALLIANCE is right up your alley. There will be tenor spots available for 2009. You should check out the website and/or contact Terry Reilley for info about audition dates. We look forward to meeting you.

www.alliancedrumcorps.org/

Rob Stevenson

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so I know, in my heart and mind (and chops) that I want to march on Phantom Regiment's tenor line. It is currently my number one musical goal (even eclipsing my desire to participate in my state's Governor's Honors program). HOWEVER- I'm sure that many people try out for that tenor line, and they only take five (give or take one). So my question becomes- if I don't make Phantom, are there other lines anywhere in DCI that can be compared (however loosely - I'm aware of how unique they are) with Phantom's? My thought is that if I don't make Phantom, I can try for another line that is in some way similar, and could perhaps help me better understand what I need to work on before re-auditioning for Phantom.

Participating in just about any world class (and many open class or all-age, for that matter) corps would be a good move. The points of style/technique that differentiate one line from another are not as important to your mission as the need to build solid fundamental skills. All thing being equal, a player with outstanding hands, good feet and a good head on their shoulders has a shot at making anyone's line. If you can play and march and have a good attitude, they'll teach you the fine points of their style.

Barring some exceptionally problematic circumstance (major personality conflict with the instructors or other members of the line, stuff like that), touring and playing all summer (anywhere!) would be helpful you in your efforts toward your goal of a spot in PR's line. You might even find a home and stay with your corps of choice. Whatever the outcome, there's no substitute for getting out there and doing it. You've just gotta play a lot - a lot!

good luck,

Fred O.

Participating in just about any world class (and many open class or all-age, for that matter) corps would be a good move. The points of style/technique that differentiate one line from another are not as important to your mission as the need to build solid fundamental skills. All thing being equal, a player with outstanding hands, good feet and a good head on their shoulders has a shot at making anyone's line. If you can play and march and have a good attitude, they'll teach you the fine points of their style.

Barring some exceptionally problematic circumstance (major personality conflict with the instructors or other members of the line, stuff like that), touring and playing all summer (anywhere!) would be helpful you in your efforts toward your goal of a spot in PR's line. You might even find a home and stay with your corps of choice. Whatever the outcome, there's no substitute for getting out there and doing it. You've just gotta play a lot - a lot!

good luck,

Fred O.

Word....

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll declare this thread closed (to my eyes at least, so what's the point?), as I have found my solution in WGI and DCA. If they'll have me, I'm looking to become a member of Atlanta Quest this winter, and ALLIANCE next summer. I'll then try out for Phantom Regiment next November, and hopefully maintain myself as a member of Atlanta Quest each winter. Thanks again, everyone.

Edited by aNiMaL

• 1 month later...

Ty, no matter what anyone tells you, your gonna go for phantom. so just go for it and stop being bipolar. ive heard you, youve got the potential and heart for it and they may refuse you at first but tryout again if they do because its obvious that you wont take no for an answer and that your set on it.

so go for it

my heart is set on spirit and thats my main goal. go for your goal.

trust me, i know you and you wont stop til you do so go nike and just do it.

<3