2009 Could be Carolina Crown's year

Three reasons:

1. Phantom Regiment was better than Carolina Crown

2. Blue Devils were better than Carolina Crown

3. Cavaliers were better than Carolina Crown

Couldn't agree more. Crown was #### good and placed where they should have. The judges got it right this year in all respects.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for the statistics being the way they are is because these corps consistently have their pick of the litter when it comes to talent. Not because they are judged differently. From an organizational standpoint, they set themselves up to win, and because of their reputations, they draw the talent. If the Cavaliers came out with a crappy book, and the kids stunk up the field, there is no doubt in my mind they would be scored as such. You are rewarded for what you do on the field. Period.

Crown's growth has allowed them to join the upper tier. As an organization, it is up to them to put the pieces together and do something wth that talent. From what I have seen over the past several years, they have proven they are ready for success.

Agreed.

Let's not forget Cavaliers in 1997 - two years off their impressive win, and they get 7th. Or, 1998 Phantom. Or, 1989 Scouts. Judges are professional and judge as they should. We can always disagree with placements when corps are close, but there's no conspiracy, there's no rule that says you have to place within the top 3 before you win, and there's not rule that BD, Cavies and Cadets HAVE TO get high scores.

Couldn't agree more. Crown was #### good and placed where they should have. The judges got it right this year in all respects.

Absolutely. But, it was championship caliber. I saw this out of Crown in 2006. I felt their overall programming was right up there with the very top corps (ok - maybe not percussion programming). What wasn't on that level was execution. They improved on programming and execution in 2007 and 2008 IMO. Will they improve further in 2009? I hope so, but there are no guarantees. However, 2008 Crown was without a doubt the best 4th place corps ever.

And I think they get it right 99.9% of the time. Afterall, are any of us on here qualified to judge one caption, much less all captions? No! Not by a long-shot.

I'm not upset. I don't care what anyone says about the win in 1988. Again, it was a close competition with three great shows. Had we placed 2nd or 3rd, I wouldn't be on here saying we should have won. What 1988 proves is competitive inertia is baloney! We had a good show, talent, and it clicked at the right time. That's it. The fact that we placed in the top 3 before had nothing to do with the win in 1988. Nothing!

Sorry for posting a million times...

I do have to say something about 1988. If there was any corps that deserved to win, it was Madison. That was one of the greatest in your face drum corps shows I've ever seen, and will argue that it connected with the crowd more than Regiments show a few weeks back. We (Freelancers) had the honor of touring with them late in the season, and everyone of the members was first class. They took the time to talk to us and praise our show, and never gave us any attitude. Winners exhibit class both on and off the field, and I see this same quality from the kids and the staff at Crown.

As for Madison 1988, I have NEVER witnessed a crowd response like that in my life. And if there is one show that proves my point about talent, it is this one. Quite possibly one of the most talented group of young men to ever march on a football field, ever.

Edited by Newseditor44

Sorry for posting a million times...

I do have to say something about 1988. If there was any corps that deserved to win, it was Madison. That was one of the greatest in your face drum corps shows I've ever seen, and will argue that it connected with the crowd more than Regiments show a few weeks back. I had the honor of touring with them late in the season, and everyone of them was first class. They took the time to talk to us and praise our show, and never gave us any attitude. Winners demonstrate class both on and off the field, and I see this same quality from the kids and the staff at Crown.

As for Madison 1988, I have NEVER witnessed a crowd response like that in my life. And if there is one show that proves my point about talent, it is this one. Quite possibly one of the most talented group of young men to ever march on a football field, ever.

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say. I will say, I have never heard a crowd react as loudly as they did at the end of our show or when SCV was announced in 2nd.

On a side note - I have four favorite shows from 1989 - SCV, Phantom, Star and................ Freelancers. THAT was such a great show my friend - so fun and entertaining. I'm going to have to watch it when I get home now. It's been a long time :)

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say. I will say, I have never heard a crowd react as loudly as they did at the end of our show or when SCV was announced in 2nd.

On a side note - I have four favorite shows from 1989 - SCV, Phantom, Star and................ Freelancers. THAT was such a great show my friend - so fun and entertaining. I'm going to have to watch it when I get home now. It's been a long time :)

Thank so much! I just wish we hadn't stunk on Finals night. We ripped the house down at Semi's... a huge difference in performance. Finals, we had the deer-in-the-headlights look about us.

I remember when you guys got back from Europe, it was a show somewhere in Iowa or Michigan, we stood around before retreat and started chatting with a few members of the Scouts hornline. I recall the members being so outgoing and friendly, and we chatted about Europe and the experience. For some reason that night stuck out to me as being one of the best on tour. Freelancers used to catch a lot of attitude from the Devs, while Vanguard was a bit nicer. But never as friendly as that night with the Scouts.

OK, I've hijacked my own thread. Jesus...

To me it mainly depends on retention and design.

Can the design team hit another home run for a third year in a row while stepping up the difficulty even further? I really think it would take one of the all time most difficult shows with an all time clean performance to be able to break the glass ceiling. Otherwise, I see them needing to hover in the top 3-4 for a handful of years before they'll break through to the top.

I'll be most curious to see where they go as far as drill design. Its just a purely gut feeling, but I think they may be focusing on elevating this aspect of design more than any other.

And Crown? That'll probably be the first corps under their target list.

I wasn't aware that you could design a show to target the defeat of one corps in particular. I figure if it's good enough to beat the targeted corps, it should be good enough to beat the others too.

Yeah. Next year should be their year. Just like everybody said that 2007 was going to be Bluecoats year.

I don't know. My gut feeling tells me that Crown is different than Coats, Glassmen, and BC. One thing is for sure, they've got people on staff who know how to get a team to the top. I for one don't think '09 will be their championship year though. I'm aiming for '10 or '11 (yikes, this decade has gone by in a flash).