Tour of Champions

It was a short CA tour just after finals that included all the DCI champions (minus The Kingsmen and Star). They all performed their respective shows for that year plus a few of their "corps tunes" and then did some mass corps songs. I got to see it in San Jose and it was fantastic!

Edited by skajerk

That sounds freaking sweet. Most of the time I enjoy the corps encore selections more than the actual show itself. Any chances they'll try this again?

DCI's existing championship-winning corps came out to California after Finals to "test the waters" so-to-speak. The farthest West that DCI had ever gone out for Championships was Denver. The West Coast generally sees drum corps in late June/early July. It gave California fans a chance to experience drum corps live at its peak, and it allowed DCI to check logistics before deciding on Pasadena for 2007.

I believe there were 4 shows: San Diego, Pasadena, Cupertino, San Jose.

The Cupertino show was an indoor performance by each corps. I believe it was the night before the San Jose show. I also recall going to see the corps perform for each other at one of the local high schools. Total blast!

Edited by Wildabeast

Not sure if it would happen again...from what I remember, finals were a week earlier than originally planned because the Broncos needed the field or something (maybe someone can confirm that or shed some more light on it). So, with the extra week, and finals being so close to the west coast, they did the Tour of Champions.

A raging success.....

With a DVD that completely lacks coverage...

I remember hating doing that week. Yeah, it was all fun and games but by finals I was usually very ready to go home. It was just not that much fun at the time for me.

Now looking back on it, I'm glad we did it and I can see the fun that we did have (such as performing at the high school for each other). Im just saying that at the time it sucked because many of us were just ready to go home!

And yeah, the DVD does NOT do the whole week justice at all.

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

Not sure if it would happen again...from what I remember, finals were a week earlier than originally planned because the Broncos needed the field or something (maybe someone can confirm that or shed some more light on it). So, with the extra week, and finals being so close to the west coast, they did the Tour of Champions.

That's how I remember it, too, along with the other suggested idea, that they were also testing the waters for finals on the west coast. With the Indy-focused schedule and championships in week two of August, it doesn't work again in the near future. It was a one-time thing.

You are entirely correct.

It was an incredible week. The strangest thing for me was waking up the night after the World Championship Finals and realizing I had to make it to the airport, not to fly home, but to San Diego. (Granted, San Diego is one of my favorite cities to explore, so that softened the "shock.")

Tour of Champions demonstrated there was a groundswell for a championship week in California.

The only thing I missed was the 115 degree day the corps spent in southern Utah to learn the massed corps production that ended every outdoor event. But boy, I sure heard about it.