Would corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets

In my experience, the majority of the members of the top corps have not marched elsewhere.

I'd say previous corps experience probably matters the most in the percussion caption.

Edited by Jayzer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The director of America's Core (go buy it!) has some great points regarding the current state of the Troopers.

In general, I've become a bit more pragmatic about this over the years. When I was marching and in the years immediately following, it really chapped my hide that someone would jump up instead of trying to stick with the Troopers and build upon the talent and work of the year before. But what I realize now is that corps like the Troopers can only build something by being true to themselves and building a return talent base that is there out of desire. If someone really doesn't want to be part of a building process and wants to go where that part is already done, it's not anyone's business to try to stop them.

I will say that I have directly experienced people in top tier and mid tier corps (members AND staff) looking down their noses at other corps below them. That's the part that stinks because it demeans the hard work done by EVERY corps. It helps foster the notion that lower-tier corps aren't worth the time or risk. (example: "Why don't you try out for someone better next year?" That just sucks.)

I personally don't believe so. Sure, many members of smaller/younger/lower placing corps eventually march the corps of their dreams, but considering that a corps like Cavaliers had 700 auditionees last year, those top corps would still fill up their ranks with top-notch talent.

This never gets much publicity, but some times, marchers from corps at the very top leave to march other corps for whatever reason.

Just because a corps has 700 auditionees doesn't mean that any of them are worth a hill of beans. Most of them probably are pretty good to even THINK they could make it, but everyone on here thinks that just because there are hundreds of kids trying out for a certain corps that those kids are any good to begin with.

Just because a corps has 700 auditionees doesn't mean that any of them are worth a hill of beans. Most of them probably are pretty good to even THINK they could make it, but everyone on here thinks that just because there are hundreds of kids trying out for a certain corps that those kids are any good to begin with.

But out of those 700, there are likely enough who really can play/march/twirl to fill the few dozen openings in the corps. Even if 10% were worth your hill of beans, that's 70 kids. Wouldn't you think at least 10% are worth "a hill of beans"?

In the past yes it is true that many have left the Troopers and have gone to other corps. Half of the 2004 Troopers Drumline became half of the Blue Devils drumline the following year. After the Troopers folded in 2006 many of the members went elsewhere and didn't come back when the Troopers returned.

This year former members of the Troopers were seen in:

THE PHANTOM REGIMENT

CAROLINA CROWN

THE BLUE DEVILS

THE BOSTON CRUSADERS (One of the DM's to be exact)

THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

THE BLUECOATS

THE COLTS

THE BLUE KNIGHTS

Now I will say this. Most of the members that went on to these corps did so because of the collapse in 2006. Now the returning rate of members in the Troopers has risen. Less and less are leaving because they all believe that they are becoming contributors to the Troopers revolution. In 2007 the Troopers returned to the field with the largest corps since 1995. They placed 20th. One year later most of those kids returned and put the largest Trooper hornline in history onto the field. They placed 16th. The first semifinals performance since 1995. The Troopers are no longer a "Feeder" corps. If they can make the same stride as they did in 2008 you will see the Troopers in the Top 12 in 2009. They are no longer in the bracket of Pioneer, Mandarins, Academy and Pacific. They have re-entered the arena with the big dogs.

For the Troopers, the answer to your question is, yes..... A few years ago. As far as the future is concerned, the answer is no. Because in a few short years the legend from Casper will be competing with the corps listed above.

add to the list:

GLASSMEN

SPIRIT

great post though...

Great performers will be great performers. what about all the 16/17 year olds in cavaliers and blue devils who've never marched anywhere before.

Actually, i'm willing to bet if every corps from 21-8th place folded it would make 7-1 way way more competitive.

No. Individual corps are better when the activity is stronger at every level -- including division II/IIIs (or whatever they're called this week), "all ages," and alumni corps.

When we were rebuilding VK in the early 80's, including the inactive year of 1980, we were looking for people who wanted to build a corps. We were not afraid to ask what their intentions were. If they even hinted that they wanted to get experience to audition for SCV or BD, we told them that both of those corps had their own feeder, and that they might be better served to march SCVC or BDB.

We ended up with a dedicated group that wanted to build their own corps, to leave a legacy when they aged-out. Most of the people who joined that inactive year were on the field for VK's first finals in 1984. We only lost about 10 people from 1980-84, and that included age-outs.

There's something special about building a winner. It takes a tougher character than those who don't want to invest the time and just join a winner. I can guarantee that there were people on the field at retreat in Atlanta that felt better than anyone in the Cadets. To come from nothing and build a finalist...well, you just have to experience it to know how it feels.

Garry in Vegas

No. Individual corps are better when the activity is stronger at every level -- including division II/IIIs (or whatever they're called this week), "all ages," and alumni corps.

I think this was very true up until just recently. There are so many high school bands out there now that are just fantastic. They kind of provide the training that the lower tier drum corps used to provide. I mean, look how many less drum corps there are over all now... and do you think the top ones are suffering in quality because of it? I think they are the best they've ever been.

I'm fairly sure about 10 kids that marched Spirit last summer marched Phantom this summer. And some of them were long time vets. 3-4 years. Of course some people stayed and some people went other places, but the Phantom figure was way more dramatic. I, in know why have hard feeling toward them but it is something to think about.

I think there is another angle here that needs to be considered....If those corps mentioned disappear, would the DC activity lose its viability as a competitive activity and even come apart as a performing medium? What is the minimum number of viable corps needed in order to have sufficient audience in order to survive as an activity similar to what we have now?

Back to the OP...

I don't think the performance level would change as a hypothetical situation. The so-called 'top corps' get the highest-end talent as a rule and max out thru the 150-member limit at present...and a lot of it has to do with instructional/program stability and ability as much as the talent pool. That's why those corps are always at the top of the activity.