Would corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets

Actually, I would argue that the top corps would be even better if the other corps were not around. Consider that 20-30 years ago there were tons of corps competing for members. Prelims took 2 days just for open (world) class. Then you had the Class A corps and a lot of them. The point is that the more corps there are the thinner the talent pool. Ergo, the less corps there are the more competition there is to join each corps and therefore better the talent level for each corps.

As far as experience goes I would say experience schmexperience. If a kid comes to a corps with no experience then they are a blank slate that can be easily trained with fewer things to unlearn from previous experience.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

YEAH!! that's what i was trying to say...

thanks, ha ha

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I would argue that the top corps would be even better if the other corps were not around. Consider that 20-30 years ago there were tons of corps competing for members. Prelims took 2 days just for open (world) class. Then you had the Class A corps and a lot of them. The point is that the more corps there are the thinner the talent pool. Ergo, the less corps there are the more competition there is to join each corps and therefore better the talent level for each corps.

As far as experience goes I would say experience schmexperience. If a kid comes to a corps with no experience then they are a blank slate that can be easily trained with fewer things to unlearn from previous experience.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

I would contend the exact opposite.

First of all, the fewer corps there are, the less of a draw the activity is. Seven corps would not make a "major league", and the "top 7" would not draw like they seem to now if they were the only 7.

Now, specifically to your argument about the "talent pool"....each corps brings some talent to the table. The less corps, the less talent the activity has. It is tempting to think that when we lose one corps, their talent becomes available to all the remaining corps....but that's not the case. Many of their members simply will not march elsewhere, and thus are lost to the activity.

And talent is not the only factor that drives excellence. Competition is another factor. The less corps we have, the less competition. Reduce competition dramatically, and excellence will suffer.

I think this was very true up until just recently. There are so many high school bands out there now that are just fantastic. They kind of provide the training that the lower tier drum corps used to provide. I mean, look how many less drum corps there are over all now... and do you think the top ones are suffering in quality because of it? I think they are the best they've ever been.

You have careened into one of the great problems.... corps are becoming indistinguishable from bands.

When I started to pay attention to corps (late 70s), I was blown away by the sound and the precision, and many other factors that were unique to corps. The rush to multi-key instruments, the addition of electronics, etc., is blurring the difference between bands and corps. When there is no appreciable difference left, there will be no reason to maintain corps as a separate entity.

Corps must remain on the leading edge of performance and design, and, yes, technology. By technology, I don't mean amplification, but instrument technology. What instruments should, say, brass players use to get the clearest, biggest sound? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a G.

You have careened into one of the great problems.... corps are becoming indistinguishable from bands.

When I started to pay attention to corps (late 70s), I was blown away by the sound and the precision, and many other factors that were unique to corps. The rush to multi-key instruments, the addition of electronics, etc., is blurring the difference between bands and corps. When there is no appreciable difference left, there will be no reason to maintain corps as a separate entity.

Corps must remain on the leading edge of performance and design, and, yes, technology. By technology, I don't mean amplification, but instrument technology. What instruments should, say, brass players use to get the clearest, biggest sound? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a G.

Getzen trumpets?

...no seriously, G bugles are not going to happen, and are certainly not on the leading edge of technology. Some Bb hornlines can PLAY like they were on G bugles if thats what you want....it all depends on how you approach the instrument. Even the great traditionalist Hrothgar himself admitted to this after watching the CAC. :thumbup:

For example if a member had marched Capital Sound, and then marched Pioneer, and then marched Colts and then went to Cavaliers...

Everyone is so quick to point an angry finger at the top 3, 5 or 6 but this same issue cascades down through the ranks. Even in your example Pioneer would benefit from the training the individual received at Cap Sound, Colts will get the benefit from both prior corps the kid was in, and so on.

There's more movement up from corps like Citations, Cap Sound, Pioneer, etc. to the likes of Spirit, Blue Stars, etc. than there is to the top 6. Let's not be myopic by targeting this issue at just the top few corps.

Getzen trumpets?

...no seriously, G bugles are not going to happen, and are certainly not on the leading edge of technology. Some Bb hornlines can PLAY like they were on G bugles if thats what you want....it all depends on how you approach the instrument. Even the great traditionalist Hrothgar himself admitted to this after watching the CAC. :sad:

:sad:

Actually the whole "G" was monster loud arguement is getting stale. I think more what he was getting at is the homoginization of the activity as a whole. One of the cool things to a lot of folks were the differences between drum corps and marching band. Once you eliminate those differences drum corps as a defined genre ceases to exist in a bunch of folks minds. We are 90% there already with multi-key normal band instruments, mics, amps, electronics, etc. Add in the WW and the transformation is complete. Super band is what they wanted and super band is what we are getting. Only time and the market will tell if that was the right thing to do. And no the whole tour experience is not what defined drum corps. That's a cop out.

Back OT: At this point and the number of corps left, I don't really think the lower level corps folding would have any effect on the top and quality. They already get the cream. They might sqeeze in a few more but I doubt you could tell the difference.