Thoughts and Questions on 1976

27th and Cavaliers met face-to-face 8 times in '76. 27th beat Cavaliers once in June, once in July and twice in August. Cavaliers beat 27th 4 times in August.

Lancerlegend has most of 76 covered correctly, but in defense of a couple of "Half-Century" Lancer relics, let's compare as many of us old b-tards memories and eventually we'll find the whole story that is now more than 32+ years ago! My middle-aged memory recalls 1976 as 2-seasons in one.

First tour had us beating everyone on our 2nd annual tour to California. Madison and their "Revision 1" show including "Mahogany" as a ballad was scoring real low. Yes, we beat BD in Denver and Yes, success was everywhere! I even recall spending the Country's Bi-Centenial by marching in the Disneyland parade.

Second tour was a totally different season where we LOST to everyone in sight. The bottoming-out point was in Toledo, Ohio where we also lost to the Seneca Princemen and the Capital Freelancers; both fine drum corps BUT.... beat MAdison and BD and then lose in Toledo 3-weeks later? Our night in Toledo culminated with a small speeding Toyota crashing into our bus after the show. 40+ of us were stuck at a Denny's for 2-days and almost missed the World Open Prelims.

The last week and a half before Philly was a rebuilding period and a saving finish!

3- Personal Highlights of 1976...

1) I graduated High School!

2) I marched in the Disneyland Bi-Centenial Parade

3) A salvaging finish to the season at DCI in Philly

1- Personal Pledge learned from my 1976 season..............

I will NEVER travel to Toledo, Ohio again in my life,... for too many bad memories!

Blue Devils were smoking! Who was the french horn soloist with Bonnie?

In "Chase the Clouds Away"? I'll have to check my my tape but I think it was Scott Tiret.

Lancerlegend has most of 76 covered correctly, but in defense of a couple of "Half-Century" Lancer relics, let's compare as many of us old b-tards memories and eventually we'll find the whole story that is now more than 32+ years ago! My middle-aged memory recalls 1976 as 2-seasons in one.

Kudos my west coast transplant....you got into some nitty gritty - correctly stated. I figured less is more. Not sure this is the place for our dirty laundry, i.e., were we afraid to loose :tongue: ?, I did not get into the "Nadia vs Olga" speech from the big Kahuna :thumbup: , or that Jerry the Poet :thumbup: was our divine connection to the other world (b-e a-gg-r-e-ss-i-v-e), and that cheese would give us the energy boost we needed in Marion. :thumbup:

Ahhh......the early season in the Midwest was something to behold.

Besides the aforementioned Madison "disco" show, we also had PR ascending to elite status, Cavaliers changing in style from silk cadet to naugahyde standing man, Kilts tanking and suffering the ignominity of being beaten by the Pioneer, Blue Stars attempting to hold winter camps in two seperate cities with inglorious results, Guardsmen and Marquis making a move on finals status and Osage being not far behind.

Mmmmm.........1976. :tongue:

Ahhh......the early season in the Midwest was something to behold.

Besides the aforementioned Madison "disco" show, we also had PR ascending to elite status, Cavaliers changing in style from silk cadet to naugahyde standing man, Kilts tanking and suffering the ignominity of being beaten by the Pioneer, Blue Stars attempting to hold winter camps in two seperate cities with inglorious results, Guardsmen and Marquis making a move on finals status and Osage being not far behind.

Mmmmm.........1976. :tongue:

I was at the show in Manitowac that year.....when Kilties got beat by General Butler Vagabonds. Blue Star beating them was pretty much normal in the 70s.

Went to the Cavies show in Park Ridge....got to see Guardsmen's entire show then watch Blue Stars get blown all over the field by the near by tornado, much like what happened to Niesi Ambassadors in 1971 at the Wisconsin State Fair show.

I was at the show in Manitowoc that year.

So was I. :thumbup:

In 1976 in Wisconsin, you just might see one of the following corps:

Park Falls Brass Regiment

Wisconsin Rapids Zephyrs

Wausau Story

Pages of the Wausau Story

Rhinelander Belles of St Mary

Stevens Point Centralaires

Eau Claire Sundowners

Appleton Americanos

Appleton Toros

La Crosse Blue Stars

La Crosse Blackhawks

Oshkosh Marauders

Manitowoc Royal Knights

Fond du Lac Marquis

West Bend Patriots

Cedarburg Thunderbolts

Madison Explorer Scouts

Madison Junior Scouts

Madison Capitolaires

Milwaukee Pioneer

Milwaukee St Mathias (I forget if they were Cadets, or were Midwest Express)

Milwaukee Militaires

Milwaukee Chordaliers

Milwaukee Rebels

Milwaukee Crusader-Gladiators

Port Washington Windjammers

Janesville Blackhawk Voyageurs

Racine Kilties

Racine Kiltie Kadets

Racine New Day

Racine New Dawn

Racine Explorer Scouts

Racine Spirit of '76

And on occasion the Yoopers would come to visit:

Marquette Majestics

Ishpeming Blue Notes

Sigh.........I don't remember if the Mariners had folded yet (help, Dan.) :tongue:

Edited by uncle z

Went to the Cavies show in Park Ridge....got to see Guardsmen's entire show then watch Blue Stars get blown all over the field by the near by tornado, much like what happened to Niesi Ambassadors in 1971 at the Wisconsin State Fair show.

And we all missed the chance to see the soon-to-be-aborted "Zorba the Greek" number as out of concert for Cavaliers.

Re the original question, 27th was a bit of a mystery that year. I saw them in Wheeling early season and they were smoking, but when I saw them again at Pontiac (now THERE was a great show location.... :tongue: ) the show was just not happening. 27th's guard was stronger in the whole field relative to the rest of their corps, but their overall program balance wasn't as good as with Cavies. In retrospect, I agree that it feels like Green should have been in the 5 spot at Finals, just as they were in prelims, but ah well.

Sigh.........I don't remember if the Mariners had folded yet (help, Dan.) :tongue:

Pretty sure they folded after the '74 season. I don't remember seeing them at any show in '75.