Thoughts and Questions on 1976

Ah well.

Matt, I'm gonna leave it up to you to cover the Illinois corps from '76. (And don't forget the Flying Dutchmen.)

Matt, I'm gonna leave it up to you to cover the Illinois corps from '76. (And don't forget the Flying Dutchmen.)

In '76? Off the top of my head, the menu could have included

Black Knights

Skokie Imperials

Vaqueros

Guardsmen

Cavies

PR

Springfield Statesmen

Ottawa Crusaders

DP Vanguard

Paul Hall Warriors

Scarlet Knights

Flying Dutchmen

Geneseo Knights

Fox Valley Raiders

Illiana Lancers

Blackhawk Voyageurs

and various and sundry Cadet corps.

Two of those corps are still around. One of them is still pretty good. :tongue:

So was I. :tongue:

In 1976 in Wisconsin, you just might see one of the following corps:

Cedarburg Thunderbolts

I know they came back after the merger that produced Pioneer, but didn't think it was that early

And on occasion the Yoopers would come to visit:

Menominee Northernaires

Our last season was 1973.

I know they came back after the merger that produced Pioneer, but didn't think it was that early

I beg to differ, here's a roster from '76:

http://my.execpc.com/~thbolt/thbolthist.html

Our last season was 1973.

Oooops. :tongue:

Black Knights

Skokie Imperials

Vaqueros

Guardsmen

Cavies

PR

Springfield Statesmen

Ottawa Crusaders

DP Vanguard

Paul Hall Warriors

Scarlet Knights

Flying Dutchmen

Geneseo Knights

Fox Valley Raiders

Illiana Lancers

Blackhawk Voyageurs

The Blackhawk Voyageurs were actually a Wisconsin corps.....I'ma add them to my list. :tongue:

Two of those corps are still around.

Was Nisei still around in '76??

• Like 1

Vaqueros

Were they still Vaquero's, or were they the Fireman-Vaqueros in '76?? Geno, help us out here!!!!

And were the Hornets still around??

My twenty seven cents ....

1976 - TJK and LancerLegend tell the truth, and their memories are remarkably clear. First tour was a phenomenal start. As a rookie, I was thrilled to beat virtually every corps in the country. The California trip however, in my opinion, took its toll. There were numerous break-downs, cutting into rehearsal time and rest time. Remember our one hour "free day" in San Francisco? Enough time to find a pizza place and get a decent meal...

I never bought into the Jerry the Guru thing either, or the cheese. And the black pants and high spats were somewhat of a disaster. Yet history speaks, and we finished fifth, rising a bit from the ashes so to speak.

BD was truly incredible in 76. Watch the Countdown performance and pay attention to the color guard - phenomenal !!! (The rest of the corps wasn't too shabby, either) The fact that Madison changed virtually their entire show on the fly is also remarkable, given that they almost repeated. Anyone who marched Madison that year care to comment? You must have rehearsed 24/7. :tongue:

Were they still Vaquero's, or were they the Fireman-Vaqueros in '76?? Geno, help us out here!!!!

And were the Hornets still around??

They were still just "The Vaquero's" ... that name stayed until the early 80's when they then merged with the "Firemen" in a weak attempt to stay alive. It was pretty funny to see the uniform combo: The guard in beautiful Spanish costumes, followed by a corp wearing Firemen uniforms. Didn't quite make sense. I'm sure I have a picture here somewhere, I'll have to dig, though.

The Vaquero's in 1976, '77 and '78 had a few good years there. Not a tremendously polished corps, but a great corps experience for local kids to be a part of. And Joe Courtney - still active in drum contests and drum corps - did a great job as director.

The Hornets were DEFINITELY around... we were in several contests with their small but hard to not notice corps.

Just my opinion, but I think the Garfield Cadets got absolutely hosed at the 1976 prelims. They should have made finals.

One of the biggest ripoffs ever.

Fran