Thoughts and Questions on 1976

Just finished the top 6 (the rest I'll watch tomorrow).

Blue Devils were smoking! Who was the french horn soloist with Bonnie?

Madison - was this the year that they changed their show halfway through the season? Sop soloist was amazing, who was he?

SCV - Loved Dark Orchid!

Phantom Regiment - Quite a show with musical variety (for PR). A pretty good sop solist too.

27th - was it me or was this show boring? I was there in person in '76 and thought it was more exciting ( I was 16 with an 18 yr old girlfriend sitting next to me). Crown and Danny Boy were great but the rest...ugh.

Bridgemen - Great return to DCI that year. DM was not a very good conductor.

Any other thoughts?

I do remember prelims were hot that year and I think that was the first time I marched on artificial turf too.

Wausau blew me away in class A as did Valiant Knights.

27th - was it me or was this show boring? I was there in person in '76 and thought it was more exciting ( I was 16 with an 18 yr old girlfriend sitting next to me). Crown and Danny Boy were great but the rest...ugh.

:tongue: We tried hard to please you. Trust me - the rifle line had the audience clapping when the lay down and spinning during concert.

The Wiz was a popular Broadway play - and I enjoyed playing it. It wasn't "upper level" music - but we were more known for GE than music. And, our drumline was very strong.

If people only knew that Madison re-wrote their entire show and came so close. We defeated Madison during our first tour - they were the defending champs and it was a huge defeat. Their original show - was not going to be a top six show, but they had the performers. A good friend of mine played French Horn for Madison and every few years, after a few refreshments, we reminice about that season.

We had also beat BD at Drums Along the Rockies at Mile High Stadium. They did not have their new jackets yet - just wore tuxedo shirts. Once those jackets arrived, the rest, is history. But Madison came so close.

I loved SCV's show! The jazz concert piece is one of my all time favorites and for being a drum corps with a classical flare, they did splendid! One of my top three favorite musical shows of all time.

Sorry LancerLegend but i have to join in the 27 bashing a little. I have no problems with the show, I love it! Buts what's with those terrible black trousers and spats! :smile:

Madison - was this the year that they changed their show halfway through the season? Sop soloist was amazing, who was he?

Yeah, that was the year. Started out with a disco show that was really terrible. After 1975 most of the main staff (or "caption heads as they're now called) had left. I don't know if they were "asked" to leave or they were just burned out. I may be wrong but I believe Dave Richards was brought in to run the horn line and I know for sure that Fred Sanford came over from SCV to run the drum line and be "program coordinator". I can't remember who was the M&M staff at the beginning of the year. I do remember silence and verbal insults at the end of tunes and polite golf clapping after the first show. Can't remember the dates at all but shortly after the beginning of the season the old staff was back and most of the tunes from 1975. Sanford stayed on as drum instructor but I believe Lagiuos (sp?) arranged the new drum book. Jimmy Elvord came back as horn instructor and St.Angel as M&M instructor. We went on western tour performing the disco show but learning some of the music for the new show. After the first tour we had two weeks of rehearsal in Madison and I believe started performing the new show around the first of August.

The soloist was Chris Metzger who marched from 71 thru 77 or 78 I think. He was a soloist as early as 73 I think.

No bashing of 27th here. I just remember the show being more exciting in person. I knew the drum line was hot and of course the rifle line was great. I did forget about the black pants and white spats in the brass line though. I think the drill looked a bit different than others. Was that Zingali's drill yet?

:smile: We tried hard to please you. Trust me - the rifle line had the audience clapping when the lay down and spinning during concert.

The Wiz was a popular Broadway play - and I enjoyed playing it. It wasn't "upper level" music - but we were more known for GE than music. And, our drumline was very strong.

If people only knew that Madison re-wrote their entire show and came so close. We defeated Madison during our first tour - they were the defending champs and it was a huge defeat. Their original show - was not going to be a top six show, but they had the performers. A good friend of mine played French Horn for Madison and every few years, after a few refreshments, we reminice about that season.

We had also beat BD at Drums Along the Rockies at Mile High Stadium. They did not have their new jackets yet - just wore tuxedo shirts. Once those jackets arrived, the rest, is history. But Madison came so close.

Sorry LancerLegend but i have to join in the 27 bashing a little. I have no problems with the show, I love it! Buts what's with those terrible black trousers and spats! :smile:

LOL...you can bash the black trousers, but did you like my red kilt? Here's the truth on the black pants.

After our western tour - we returned home pretty confident. The show was similar to 1975 muscially, but there were many new members after many age-outs in 75. We had a weekend in NJ and we on hold score wise. It was suggested to change the look of the hornline - they were blending in. We put that thought on hold, and continued to stagnate with our score. Good show - bad show - same score. After World Open and CYO Nationals in Boston, we literally when shopping to Zayre Dept Store (later became Ames) and bought 60 pair (+/-) of slacks. The high spats were purchased from a local supplier - same shop the durm line's came from. In the end.....we stayed steady at the same score. :(

As for Cavies and Oakland, I know we did better than Cavies almost everytime - I think they caught us at World Open. I never remember Oakland being close. (Oakland did upset 27th in 1975 prelims - 27th came back at finals.)

The 1976 show was still Ralph Pace's design - with input from many on the visual and guard staff. Ralph was the top dog through 1978. In 1979, Zingali set the world on fire with his genius.