Empire's Joey Pero

When they played a "snip-it" of Joey's CD at prelims I told the wife...."that sounds like Maynard but, I don't recognize the tune. Sounds better than usual too." Gotta have that CD !!

If Joey happens to read this I'd like to thank him for showing up at an unplanned party in our room Friday nite . Makes ME feel kinda special. Hope that CD really takes off as I'm sure it will.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter and son had the wonderful opportunity to march with ES this past summer. It was my son's first experience marching and my daughter's third as she spent two summer with the Crossmen. As we were driving all night Sunday from Rochester to my son's midwest college, due to him having classes on Monday, my daughter, out of the blue, started to explain to me how fortunate she has been to be members of the corps she has.

When I asked her what her reasons were she named three people - Jimmy Steele, Al Chez and Joey Pero. She first met Jimmy when he was brass tech at Crossmen and immediately liked his style. Al Chez ...... well, is Al Chez - he has ALWAYS been one of the main inspirations to her in terms of friendships and learning the PROPER way in drum corps traditions. Unable to march in dci this past summer she decided to drag her brother into the dca ranks and started out for Statesmen. I wish I could explain to you how excited she was when she heard Jimmy and Al were part of the instructional team !! When I asked her about Joey she smiled and told me that although she never really had the chance to really get to know him (dci = all summer, everyday vs dca = weekends) Just knowing that he was going to be at a show or rehearsal gave her inspiration to perform like she has never experienced before. When I asked in what way - her reply was that he had the ability to compliment you just by his smile, never had (as she put it) "an attitude" and everytime he put his trumpet to his lips and blew made you want to work just that much harder. Many don't understand how far something as simple as that goes.

She is currently a Music Education student at Syracuse. To hear her say that she hopes one day that she can teach her students the values, professionalism and DESIRE TO PERFORM AT NOTHING LESS THAN YOUR VERY BEST the same way that these three individuals taught her is one of the best compliments these individuals could possible receive.

I would like to thank each of these professionals for all they have done for my children. My kids are what they are today partly because of the hard work, ethics and sportsmanship you three have instilled in them. I am forever grateful to you.

Ken

Gene, that cat can play........can't wait to pick it up. Hey, I tried to catch up with you after minicorps retreat, but your Erie buddies said you left for a Geritol fix. I hope you sold the tix. Catch ya next year

Joe

When they played a "snip-it" of Joey's CD at prelims I told the wife...."that sounds like Maynard but, I don't recognize the tune. Sounds better than usual too." Gotta have that CD !!

If Joey happens to read this I'd like to thank him for showing up at an unplanned party in our room Friday nite . Makes ME feel kinda special. Hope that CD really takes off as I'm sure it will.

Gene, that cat can play........can't wait to pick it up. Hey, I tried to catch up with you after minicorps retreat, but your Erie buddies said you left for a Geritol fix. I hope you sold the tix. Catch ya next year

Joe

Still have the tix, Jim. Interested...? Much better price now :thumbup: Stayed till the end (forgot to pack Geritol.... :music:

Most people think that Joey is JUST a screamer, but that is far from the truth. His actual strength, IMHO is his classical playing. It is unbelieveable, the way he plays "legit" stlyles, I heard some jazz stuff on the recordings as well that was also as great as the rest.

I couldn't agree more. Joey Pero's performance from last year's Empire Show was just outstanding and goes way beyond just pure range and power. I can't wait to get this year's DVD to hear Empire's entire line. To me, they have always had a great sound and I'm sure the top brass award was very deserving.

Also, I'd like to echo what has been said in other threads, what a classy bunch. Their kindness displayed to the MBI on the field was very gracious and reflects so well on the organization.

Their kindness displayed to the MBI on the field was very gracious and reflects so well on the organization.

I'd expect nothing less from my friends there.

To Ken (Gauchos77) above,

Glad to hear your daughter and your son both had great experiences at ES. I know Joe Pero very well. I have had some experience with Jim Steele. I have not had the pleasure of being taught by Al Chez, but my wife did a while back, so I know OF him. Tamm would agree with me: they are very fine instructors, as well as good motivators. (David B. wouldn't want them unless that were true, IMO.) When you have two outstanding players, with more professional playing experience than most DC instructors, not only telling you, but showing you, how to be your best, it can't help but rub off on you.

Joey's work ethic is very strong. Being around him makes me want to be a better player. And, it makes me shake my head in mock disgust as I realize I can never be that good.

I hope you all found your way home safely.

I am certainly humbled by this thread along with all the kind words and thoughts. I'd like to shout out a HUGE thanks to Tom Peashey for making some of my tracks part of this incredible DCA weekend and his undying support, I love ya Tom. Much gratitude and respect to all of my friends without whom, I would not have made it to this point.

The Drum Corps community's overwhelming positivity and excitement surrounding the release of "Resonance" has shown me just how blessed I am to be a member of this activity. I can't tell you how grateful I am to share this with all of you. If you'd like to be kept in the loop join my mailing list and thank you again for the guidance and belief.

Thoughts and prayers to Barb and Fran Harring, it wasn't the same without you two.

Congratulations to all the competing corps and members; we all certainly put on a hell of a show for the fans!

A special thanks to all my Statesmen family including Vince Bruni, David Bruni, Allen Buell, Tommy and Jimmy Allen, the Gibbens', the Kelsey's, Al Chez, Jimmy Steele, Jamie Gibbs, David Orser, Joe Taylor, Joey Guadagnino, Jim Wise, Peter Garro, Joey Nolan, Rob Sanderl, Matt Nordhausen, Teddy Mascari, Kevin Walters, Jeff Allen, Ryan Codd, and all the support staff: whose work in the corps is inspired and uplifting. We certainly had a fun weekend; and as always, did it "Our Way."

That's all for now, more updates to come...

Edited by JoeSop1

Another of "our own" is hitting the big time!

I knew, the first time I heard Joey play in 2002,

that he was going to be someone I'd be listening to on recordings.

He is a remarkable entertainer.

Such a joy to watch.

I had a great seat for finals splitting the 40/45.

Thanks for a remarkable performance Joey and Empire.

Your style of music is what captures an audiance.

A special thanks to all my Statesmen family including Vince Bruni, David Bruni, Allen Buell, Tommy and Jimmy Allen, the Gibbens', the Kelsey's, Al Chez, Jimmy Steele, Jamie Gibbs, David Orser, Joe Taylor, Joey Guadagnino, Jim Wise, Peter Garro, Joey Nolan, Rob Sanderl, Matt Nordhausen, Teddy Mascari, Kevin Walters, Jeff Allen, Ryan Codd, and all the support staff: whose work in the corps is inspired and uplifting. We certainly had a fun weekend; and as always, did it "Our Way."

That's all for now, more updates to come...

Joey,

You are one incredible person! I've watched you grow and mature into a truly wonderful human being, and I'm so happy to be a part of that journey. You continue to amaze me with your God given talent and especially that you haven't forgotten that underneath that musical magician lies a humble, genuine person. A true friend!

You deserve all the success that life has to offer, and remember....when you are stinkin' filthy rich, you owe me a new kitchen counter top!!! :sad:

Edited by Jeff Gibbens

Wish I'd had the chance to meet Joe but hearing him play was one of the top highlights I had in attending my first DCA since 1975. I won't wait so long next time. I can't wait to buy his CD!