Star of Indiana

1st question I've got. How many of their members went on to march in other corps after the announcement was made that they weren't doing a field show in 94?

The other question, is anyone here on DCP a member of Star in 93? I wonder what your initial reaction and thoughts were when you heard they were going to completely change the direction, and perform an indoor show instead of the field show. Were you upset? excited? bummed? angry? thrilled? And did you have any idea before the season ended that was coming in the future?

Also, someone said there were cd's available with them performing with another group from the indoor show, does anyone know how to get ahold of these? I'd love to order them if they aren't too expensive. Are there also DVD's available of this performance?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st question I've got. How many of their members went on to march in other corps after the announcement was made that they weren't doing a field show in 94?

The other question, is anyone here on DCP a member of Star in 93? I wonder what your initial reaction and thoughts were when you heard they were going to completely change the direction, and perform an indoor show instead of the field show. Were you upset? excited? bummed? angry? thrilled? And did you have any idea before the season ended that was coming in the future?

Also, someone said there were cd's available with them performing with another group from the indoor show, does anyone know how to get ahold of these? I'd love to order them if they aren't too expensive. Are there also DVD's available of this performance?

medeabrass was in 91-93, I believe. Texas A&M Aggie Band, too. Quite a contrast. Even A&M's greatest rivals know the Aggie Band and respect it. All of them. He tells the story that pretty well even Star's fans (folks at their Bloomington home show) boo'ed them and cheered the other Midwestern powerhouse corps.

Ask him.

I read that only 3 members marched in 1994. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I remember it being a member of Star 93-94 stating that. One was a snare drummer who went to Blue Devils and the other two were mellophone players who went to Crown. One of those two was a charter member of Crown and returned to age out, and the other we picked up midtour. She had a brother in the soprano line.

Can anyone confirm this? I know there were other people that returned to the field in 1995 and beyond.

I read that only 3 members marched in 1994. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I remember it being a member of Star 93-94 stating that. One was a snare drummer who went to Blue Devils and the other two were mellophone players who went to Crown. One of those two was a charter member of Crown and returned to age out, and the other we picked up midtour. She had a brother in the soprano line.

Can anyone confirm this? I know there were other people that returned to the field in 1995 and beyond.

I know a tuba player marched 93 and 94.

I know of a lead baritone that went to BK in 94 to age out.

Oddly enough, I know someone who marched Star 93, then came back 5 years later to age out with Cadets. I know im not the only person on this site to have been taught by the guy though.... :smile:

Been a member since 2002 and now it's time to post...

I was a member of Star after they left the field. There were many members that went on and marched other corps.

There were a lot of members that stayed and were seemingly uneasy with the new ideas. It was a complete change

for them from the short field show that they spent countless hours on the field training. I was new to the entire "corps"

seen and didn't really understand then what they went through. Our format had changed from short field show to a two

part arena venue that lasted close to 2 hours. Same amount of practice time just more music more drill.. Same expectations.

Brass theater I was the first actual arena show and still for the most part had the drum corps mentality to it. Brass Theater II

was more of a transitional IMHO between a corps feel and a concert feel. Brass Theater III is when the concert idea was in

full swing. I think we only used mello's for one song. There were no contra's that I can remember and we used french horns

instead of mello's for the rest of the tunes. It was a amazing and enjoyable experience for me. I was a bag of crap when I

joined but I conformed around halfway through the season when I was finally broken in to the experience. I loved every minute

but it always felt like the people from '93 and before had a bit of a hole in their hearts. I think most moving thing that I

have ever seen to this day musically was watching Eiji Oue (Leonard Berstein's understudy who conducted the minneapolis

symphony orchestra at the time) shed a few tears and tell us when we were on stage that we were the only group to have

made Mr. Bernsteins music come to life again since his passing. Blast! was the next new thing and they are still alive and going

to this day as far as I know. The last I heard they were in Japan and were a pretty big hit.

Just some bits and pieces from my experience. There are DVD's and video tapes available. If you go to Borders you can

get them there or even order them through there. I can't remeber if we still have the online store anymore.

Casey Herman

Mellow and French Horn

Star of Indiana '96 and Alumni performance '04

Fan for Life.......

I think most moving thing that I have ever seen to this day musically was watching Eiji Oue (Leonard Berstein's understudy who conducted the minneapolis symphony orchestra at the time) shed a few tears and tell us when we were on stage that we were the only group to have made Mr. Bernsteins music come to life again since his passing.

I was there at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis that night in 1996. Mr. Oue was conductor of the Minnesota Orchestra (formerly known as the Minneapolis Symphony). Regardless of the name....that was one great night of music!