Star of Indiana

The story has been told well and accurately by my fab ex-seat partner. I will answer the $100M question though. We were NOT paid in 1994. We actually paid dues. I am not 100% sure when the members started getting paid. Also, if I remember correctly I think we had less than 10 shows that summer.

While experiencing Brass Theater was an important part of my musical path, it was not for me. Being in Madison that year was like torture. I couldn't even bring myself to go to finals. I left early to go home. I had three years left in my drum corps career. I never marched anywhere else. While sad, I'm glad that I had the time I did with a group that was at the top of the game.

I, too, have the hole. It is partially filled by getting to be a part of the greatness that is Star United. Even if it is on the sideline. Who knew typing about this would still be so sad after 15 years. That's it from me although I'm happy to answer questions people have.

At least you had several years....being a rookout REALLY sucks!!

So aside from the logistics/money, what would prevent Star alums from starting a larger competitive All-Age corps? It wouldn't have to be Star Sr, even if you COULD get the rights to the name...that's a VERY large shadow to live under....but something else could be created that would give other memebrs the experiences you got in Jr corps....Star United could still be the minicorps arm of the larger group.

Just throwin' the idea out.

Edited by 84BDsop

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure of the details of how Mason got the Star rights, but he must of had a pretty good lawyer.

I think it was right around 2004 that Cook got out of the Blast! business, I assume Jim got other funding for his MEG - probably some Japanese companies, tehy always seem to be touring there and I think a Japanese company put up the funding to lease the old Star Hall so the MEG groups could continue to rehearse there initially.

I just read some of the stuff on the Star of Indiana website. Bill Cook started/founded/created Star, and he obviously loved the activity... Why doesn't he just start a new corps? It seemed from I read that he was pretty devoted to drum corps and had a real passion for it. He did it once, why not do it again?

I just read some of the stuff on the Star of Indiana website. Bill Cook started/founded/created Star, and he obviously loved the activity... Why doesn't he just start a new corps? It seemed from I read that he was pretty devoted to drum corps and had a real passion for it. He did it once, why not do it again?

He was a massive fan of drum corps and helped out many corps prior to starting Star but he really was not into the way DCI was run or their vision. Many reasons why Star left but one of them was that he was not really happy being in DCI

so I doubt he'd go down that road again, too many of the same people are still DCI

He was a massive fan of drum corps and helped out many corps prior to starting Star but he really was not into the way DCI was run or their vision. Many reasons why Star left but one of them was that he was not really happy being in DCI

so I doubt he'd go down that road again, too many of the same people are still DCI

...and there you go. Someone who knows Bill extremely well and was a long standing member of the Star organization communicating Bill's thoughts on the topic to you.

Oh, wait...this is the guy who spends all his time bashing Star, but now he feels he's qualified to speak for its founder, a man who he clearly knows so well.

KS

...and there you go. Someone who knows Bill extremely well and was a long standing member of the Star organization communicating Bill's thoughts on the topic to you.

Oh, wait...this is the guy who spends all his time bashing Star, but now he feels he's qualified to speak for its founder, a man who he clearly knows so well.

KS

:innocent:

I think cowtown has been pretty level in this thread.

Granted, he may have burned too many bridges for Star folks in other threads. But here, he makes a fair statement and qualifies his final thought as speculative.

No problems here.

I first found out about Star leaving DCI soon after finals in ‘93 when I called the corps office to inquire about auditions. This was extremely disappointing for me; I had been dreaming of marching Star for years, and now that I was finally at the minimum age they were no longer going to field a corps. I was also told that they were not accepting any new members for Brass Theater and only alumni would be asked to participate. So, I pretty much forgot about it and figured I would try again in the future if they returned to the field.

Then, right before Memorial Day in ‘94 I got word that there might be a few openings. I called immediately to confirm and was invited to audition. I was there the next day, and they offered me a French horn/mellophone spot that I gladly accepted. At the time everyone kind of assumed that the Brass Theater thing was a one-year deal, and I figured this was a good way to ensure myself a spot for the return to DCI in ‘95. Plus, it was quite an honor to be able to perform with a group like the Canadian Brass! There were a lot of rookies that year, I would guess at least 1/4 of the corps. They had evidently overestimated the number of alumni that would be willing to return when I had called for audition info. This was a tough year for me. At 16 and one of the youngest members, I was about as green as they come and in hindsight I was probably in way over my head. Let’s just say I did a lot of pushups. Overall I enjoyed this year because of the incredible performance opportunities, but as mentioned previously, there were not enough performances and too many long rehearsal days in a row. We were all pretty much burnt out by the end of the summer.

During the ‘94 season we found out that the Canadian Brass thing was a three year deal. I considered leaving at that time, but was lured back in ‘95 with the promise of bigger and better gigs and rumors of a possible European tour. The tour was certainly better that year, mostly in the form of standstill concert performances in some very prestigious venues. The concerts that Eiji Oue conducted were the most memorable. I have not played under anyone else to date who could extract the same kind of emotion from a group. However, there still did not seem to be enough performances and I became even more burnt out than the previous summer.

The biggest change I noticed in ‘95 was the transition from “drum corps” to “theatrical group”. The G bugles were ditched completely in favor of concert horns, and there wasn’t nearly as much traditional drill; it became more choreography and staging. Rehearsals seemed to become a little more relaxed also; it was not the same intense drum corps atmosphere of the previous year. It was becoming clear to us that Star’s competitive days were over. The remaining drum corps vets always kept a positive attitude, but it was pretty obvious to me that they missed being on a football field. It just wasn’t the same experience. There was definitely a much closer bond between those who had been there in ’93 and I never felt like I had been accepted into that fraternity. This was something I didn’t fully understand until a few years later.

We attended DCI finals as a group in ‘95 after doing an afternoon Brass Theater performance in Buffalo. I will never forget the Madison Scouts taking the field that night and the crowd reaction. That’s all it took….drum corps was in my blood and I knew exactly where I was supposed to be. I realized that, even though I had been given an incredible opportunity with Star, that I was missing out on something I truly loved and only had a limited amount of time to experience. After taking a year off to recover from a surgery, I had the opportunity to march three summers with the Scouts. I was finally able to experience the rush of standing in front of a roaring DCI finals crowd, and the true brotherhood and lifelong friendships that develop during the course of a drum corps season.

I look back on my years in Star with mixed emotions. I certainly don’t regret it. I received two summers worth of world-class brass instruction that took my playing to a whole new level. Who knows, maybe I would have never got past my Scouts audition had it never been for that experience. I had the opportunity to bring audiences to their feet at some of the most prestigious concert halls in the country…..… but it still wasn’t drum corps. And I can’t help thinking that I would probably trade it all for just one more summer with my Madison brothers.

:innocent:

I think cowtown has been pretty level in this thread.

Granted, he may have burned too many bridges for Star folks in other threads. But here, he makes a fair statement and qualifies his final thought as speculative.

No problems here.

...and to each his own.

I simply find it amusing that on a thread where many of the posters (and lurkers) have had this specific discussion with Cook himself that someone so far outside the organization (and an owner of many frequent basher miles) would find it appropriate to chime in with an answer.

Over and out,

KS

I simply find it amusing that on a thread where many of the posters (and lurkers) have had this specific discussion with Cook himself that someone so far outside the organization (and an owner of many frequent basher miles) would find it appropriate to chime in with an answer.

Maybe I missed it. What is the correct answer? What is correct if that answer to which you refer is not?

HH

Maybe I missed it. What is the correct answer? What is correct if that answer to which you refer is not?

HH

Here's the thing...I'm not sure too many really know for sure what the reason is. I know what I've been told. I know the discussions I've had with my Star family. I know what has been speculated about. I personally have never had this conversation with Bill - not many have. Karen - you may be one of the ones that has had this conversation, but I suspect you now fall into #3 below.

What you will find about most of us Star Alums is that 1) this is a touchy subject (that may be the understatement of the day), 2) aside from the obvious reasons, the complete lack of credible information on this subject - even to its members, is one of the reasons it is so touchy, and 3) most folks from within the organization are likely to be tight-lipped whether we have good information or not. This is just how we are. We don't mean to intentionally be obtuse...we really just don't wish to speak for a man that we all respect so highly (point of clarification - I'm talking about Bill).

I hate making broad generalizations and speaking for other people. This is my perception of how the Star crew works. We generally will just say, "Thank you very much. You have a very nice drum corps." And leave it at that.

There are some of us who will talk about our own experiences. I'm still more than happy to do so, and I will tell you if I don't know something. Hope that helps.

Here's the thing...I'm not sure too many really know for sure what the reason is. I know what I've been told. I know the discussions I've had with my Star family. I know what has been speculated about. I personally have never had this conversation with Bill - not many have. Karen - you may be one of the ones that has had this conversation, but I suspect you now fall into #3 below.

What you will find about most of us Star Alums is that 1) this is a touchy subject (that may be the understatement of the day), 2) aside from the obvious reasons, the complete lack of credible information on this subject - even to its members, is one of the reasons it is so touchy, and 3) most folks from within the organization are likely to be tight-lipped whether we have good information or not. This is just how we are. We don't mean to intentionally be obtuse...we really just don't wish to speak for a man that we all respect so highly (point of clarification - I'm talking about Bill).

I hate making broad generalizations and speaking for other people. This is my perception of how the Star crew works. We generally will just say, "Thank you very much. You have a very nice drum corps." And leave it at that.

There are some of us who will talk about our own experiences. I'm still more than happy to do so, and I will tell you if I don't know something. Hope that helps.

I've been coming back here waiting for somebody to step up.

Thank you Amber. This is a candid and thoughtful response that I did not expect to see. I just changed my rating on this thread to 5 stars. :innocent: