Star of Indiana

Oddly enough, I know someone who marched Star 93, then came back 5 years later to age out with Cadets. I know im not the only person on this site to have been taught by the guy though.... :tongue:

What was his name?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was his name?

Chad Pence

Star 93, Cadets 98

He played tuba. He is Poh-Ho. He is awesome.

Another great one is Joe Fussel. Marched Star 93 (was the bari soloist in the ballad at age 16!), Brass Theatre in 94, then BD 95-97. He went on to teach Cadets from 98-02.

Michael Terry

Cadets 2000-2007

Edited by doogiempt

I have a few questions about Star's current status.

Is Star still a non profit or have they gone corporate?

Are their any age requirements? If so what are they?

Do the members still pay due or are the paid?

Did they reach their organizational goals when changed from a DC to their new form?

What precludes the from having two units, one for Blast and one on the field?

I have a few questions about Star's current status.

Is Star still a non profit or have they gone corporate?

Are their any age requirements? If so what are they?

Do the members still pay due or are the paid?

Did they reach their organizational goals when changed from a DC to their new form?

What precludes the from having two units, one for Blast and one on the field?

Star of Indiana is no longer. Jim Mason has since created MEG - Mason Entertainment Group. The full time employees include Donnie VanDoren, Jon Vanderkolff, and Jeff Lee, and Jim Moore.

There are no age requirements, although they prefer cast members to be 21 or older.

Cast members are paid.

They did reach their goals.

Jim Mason is not interested in fielding a corps. He has put all of his energy into the theatrical productions.

1st question I've got. How many of their members went on to march in other corps after the announcement was made that they weren't doing a field show in 94?

The other question, is anyone here on DCP a member of Star in 93? I wonder what your initial reaction and thoughts were when you heard they were going to completely change the direction, and perform an indoor show instead of the field show. Were you upset? excited? bummed? angry? thrilled? And did you have any idea before the season ended that was coming in the future?

Also, someone said there were cd's available with them performing with another group from the indoor show, does anyone know how to get ahold of these? I'd love to order them if they aren't too expensive. Are there also DVD's available of this performance?

1) Not too many people immediately left to go to other corps in '94. I can think of 1 snare drummer to BD (I think he died in a motorcycle accident shortly thereafter) and 2 mellos to Crown. The rest either came back or didn't march anywhere. One of the cool things about '94 is that we slimmed the corps down to about 100-110 members with no age requirements. This meant we were at about 75-80% vets. This made learning a 2 hour show much easier. The drill for Medea was very close order since we were trying to compress a full DC show onto the floor of a basketball arena and in many ways it was more difficult than '93. It was like Vanderkoff had a chance to take a breath and add that little extra umph to the show.

2) I never heard any rumors about us leaving until after the season. Mason alluded to it after our finals performance, but he was so cryptic I had no idea. I heard it first from a Madison friend of mine in the fall of '93. At first I didn't believe it. I was kinda' ###### that that was how I had to find out. I know many people were very upset when they heard about it at our banquet as well. I heard stories of many sitting there in utter disbelief. At the same rate, I was a '93 age-out and went home from finals thinking I would do anything to play Medea again so I was pretty excited for the opportunity after I calmed my arse down from the original shock.

We played many cool venues but not enough shows (16 total I think). The endless and consecutive days of rehearsal got old really quick. I was also frustrated that we could never quite get the entire 2 hour show "finals night" clean. One area would get really clean while another would regress etc etc.

I had blind faith in our leadership at that time and naively allowed myself to believe that the corps would go back to the field after it's 3 year contract with Canadian Brass was up. In some ways, I feel I contributed to the folding of the drum corps by participating in '94. As Casey mentioned already, I had (and continue to have) a hole in my heart that only got bigger with each passing year after '93. Brass Theater was great but it just wasn't drum corps.

I was very proud of what Brass Theater and Blast accomplished, but there's a lingering frustration that we weren't gone because of bad financing but because of one man's blind ambition. He's taken a great non-profit youth organization and turned it into his own personal money maker. Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy, but the least he could've done was divorce himself from the corps and taken Mr. Cook's money and created his own venture from scratch. Then, Star could've at least had a chance to try and make it on it's own as a DC without corporate sponsorship [/whining]. Fortunately, I am really enjoying the opportunity to root for corps that my friends are teaching at. They really are doing things the way I want to see/hear them so that's a pretty darn good consolation....THANK YOU GUYS!!!

3)You may still be able to find the CDs on amazon.com. You might even be able to get some through the star of indiana website but I doubt it. As mentioned already, there are several clips on that site that shan't be named.

****disclaimer****

I apologize in advance for my whining. I put this stuff to bed a long time ago, but this thread just brought it back to the surface without notice. Second, I apologize to any of my Star brothers and sisters if it appears I'm airing dirty laundry. Please PM me if you think I need to edit my post and shut my cake hole...love you guys.

Wow... this really surprises me. I was always under the impression that everyone knew Star was not going to field a competitve corps in 1994 before the 93 season even began... or at least during the season. I had no idea that members did not know until the fall. Must have been some shock.

I wonder if anyone has ever really tried to get Star of Indiana going again. There is so many people who really want it. I know most say it is impossible, but you never know.

(You know... there was a time that everyone said the first three episodes of Star Wars would never be made)

Wow... this really surprises me. I was always under the impression that everyone knew Star was not going to field a competitve corps in 1994 before the 93 season even began... or at least during the season. I had no idea that members did not know until the fall. Must have been some shock.

I wonder if anyone has ever really tried to get Star of Indiana going again. There is so many people who really want it. I know most say it is impossible, but you never know.

(You know... there was a time that everyone said the first three episodes of Star Wars would never be made)

The members did not know, and neither did the staff.