Star of Indiana

Thanks for all the repsonses. It is not at all like I thought it was. I really thought that the kids probably knew well before the season ended. I feel bad for the kids who really wanted to be a field corps. I guess to some degree it would be like folding, even though they went on to be successful in another venue.

It is really nice hearing from a members perspective of how they felt and what their reactions were. I think Amber had one of the best responses I have ever seen on these boards. I can see your points, and I suppose it is even more frustratating that you don't even know all the answers yourself as a member. At least if a corps folds because the finances aren't there, they at least know why they folded. If a corps has the finances, and is extremely successful, it is probably more of a lingering question of exactly what happened and why.

I have the utmost respect for Star and what they performed and accomplished over the 10 years they were on the field. I have heard their fees were kept very low, and it sounds like they were treated well by the staff. I miss their entertaining shows, want to thank their staff and performers for 10 amazing years. I never saw brass theatre unfortunately, although I have seen Blast, and enjoyed it alot. I think I'll rewatch some old Star shows tonight.

Unfortunately, having been a member of several corps that folded, I can tell you that no matter what the circumstances the "hole in your heart" for that organization still exists. The pain of losing Star is no greater or worse than the pain of losing the Bridgemen, to me, at least.

KS

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d think putting on the old uniform would make that hole worse, sometimes its better to just walk away and not to pick at that scab

I could better understand the Star Alumni corps had it a goal beyond one more time. Like launching an open class corps (and no, not a new Star, I agree that should be left alone). What ever became of Kingsmens aspirations and all those uniform, hmmm another thread perhaps?

I think launching an open class corps was a goal when SU started doing the mini-corps thing. It's a "one step at a time" proposition. If the mini-corps gets enough momentum and interest, then maybe the next step will be taken. One disadvantage that we (Star alums) have as a community is that we have a very small alumni base in comparison to other corps. A strong recruiting effort would definitely be in order. Another limiting factor is that I think they want to be able to do what they do at a very high level or not at all. It would probably be easier to start an open-class DCA corps from scratch without the burden of trying to uphold a standard.

As far as your characterization of my fellow alums, just keep in mind that it's a two-way street. Of course there are those who fly off the deep end in any group, but on the whole, these are some of the greatest people I've ever been around. We tend to circle the wagons by nature because we are so small and because it's an almost instinctual response to the actual or perceived treatment we received back in the day. I think you have a tendency to project and thus you receive comments in kind.

I think launching an open class corps was a goal when SU started doing the mini-corps thing. It's a "one step at a time" proposition. If the mini-corps gets enough momentum and interest, then maybe the next step will be taken. One disadvantage that we (Star alums) have as a community is that we have a very small alumni base in comparison to other corps. A strong recruiting effort would definitely be in order. Another limiting factor is that I think they want to be able to do what they do at a very high level or not at all. It would probably be easier to start an open-class DCA corps from scratch without the burden of trying to uphold a standard.

That was kinda the point I made earlier (which no one comments on....*sigh*)

Try to form a DCA Class A to "fill the hole." Having been there myself, I can tell you that marching again in 86 -- even at a much lower level than BD (although Dagenham WAS teh BD of the UK at the time) DID help to close the hole. So did marching Empire in 87.

Whatever hole was left was finally closed after finals in 07 when I was with the other alums at the BD busses and was able to share in the win in a way I had never been able to do before ANYWHERE.

SU has several years under their belt now in getting a group together and competing in a show....yes, it's mini corps, and thus the time demand is likely less than for, say, Bucs (since you don't have a large corps and lots of drill), but it's a good starting point.

Don't TRY to be Star...Star left a wonderful legacy that should not be touched. but definitely try to bring what you got OUT of Star perfonally to new people.

That was kinda the point I made earlier (which no one comments on....*sigh*)

Try to form a DCA Class A to "fill the hole." Having been there myself, I can tell you that marching again in 86 -- even at a much lower level than BD (although Dagenham WAS teh BD of the UK at the time) DID help to close the hole. So did marching Empire in 87.

Whatever hole was left was finally closed after finals in 07 when I was with the other alums at the BD busses and was able to share in the win in a way I had never been able to do before ANYWHERE.

SU has several years under their belt now in getting a group together and competing in a show....yes, it's mini corps, and thus the time demand is likely less than for, say, Bucs (since you don't have a large corps and lots of drill), but it's a good starting point.

Don't TRY to be Star...Star left a wonderful legacy that should not be touched. but definitely try to bring what you got OUT of Star perfonally to new people.

While I agree with you, I definitely understand the "all or nothing" mentality. It could still happen regardless. Watching corps where my Star friends teach has closed the hole for me pretty much. In some ways, it's better rooting for corps like Blue Stars and Crown because they are crowd favorites.

While I agree with you, I definitely understand the "all or nothing" mentality. It could still happen regardless. Watching corps where my Star friends teach has closed the hole for me pretty much. In some ways, it's better rooting for corps like Blue Stars and Crown because they are crowd favorites.

Well of course....I certainly understand the all or nothing thought also....but not even Star came out of the box at the top (CLOSE, of course, no denying that!).

However, you have to start somewhere....and today it might BE best to start small and build.

Besides...given the demonstrated quality of SU, does anyone really think a DCA corps built off of that would stay small long??? Success breeds success...look at BD.

Well of course....I certainly understand the all or nothing thought also....but not even Star came out of the box at the top (CLOSE, of course, no denying that!).

However, you have to start somewhere....and today it might BE best to start small and build.

Besides...given the demonstrated quality of SU, does anyone really think a DCA corps built off of that would stay small long??? Success breeds success...look at BD.

You have to keep in mind that the alumni of Star are spread across the country. There is a great core group of people based in Indiana who bear the brunt of the organizational and administrative responsibilities and they can only do so much. A number of those people are involved with DCI corps also.

You have to keep in mind that the alumni of Star are spread across the country. There is a great core group of people based in Indiana who bear the brunt of the organizational and administrative responsibilities and they can only do so much. A number of those people are involved with DCI corps also.

True...but there are also (or should be) a ready supply of age outs to both staff and march....it's no different than anywhere else. The advantage, if there is one, is more of a tradition of Sr corps in the midwest than out West.

Renegades had the advantage of having a buttload of BD/SCV/Freelancer vets....but down in L.A. it's still a struggle.

True...but there are also (or should be) a ready supply of age outs to both staff and march....it's no different than anywhere else. The advantage, if there is one, is more of a tradition of Sr corps in the midwest than out West.

Renegades had the advantage of having a buttload of BD/SCV/Freelancer vets....but down in L.A. it's still a struggle.

As was alluded to, Star has a relatively limited supply of vets. Imagine a corps that only lasted 9 years, with a very high retention rate. Even if they were to (and I'm not suggesting they should) form a celebratory Alumni Corps for a one-time-only exhibition @ DCI Finals, it would be a tiny group compared to what 27, Madison and Cavies pulled off. And some of the most-likely candidates for staffing and leadership are already tied up at Blue Stars, Crown, and elsewhere.

On another note, I wouldn't put much stock in the tradition of Sr Corps in the midwest. There are a handul of mainstays - and more power to them. But the attitude toward sr's in the midwest is not too enticing to those considering forming a new group.

As was alluded to, Star has a relatively limited supply of vets. Imagine a corps that only lasted 9 years, with a very high retention rate. Even if they were to (and I'm not suggesting they should) form a celebratory Alumni Corps for a one-time-only exhibition @ DCI Finals, it would be a tiny group compared to what 27, Madison and Cavies pulled off. And some of the most-likely candidates for staffing and leadership are already tied up at Blue Stars, Crown, and elsewhere.

It wouldn't have to be all Star alums....in fact, I believe I said to not even TRY to resurrect Star...open it up to anyone...same as SU already is.

As for staff...develop your own....a new corps doesn't HAVE to have top DCI instructional talent....give someone newe a chance to shine.

On another note, I wouldn't put much stock in the tradition of Sr Corps in the midwest. There are a handul of mainstays - and more power to them. But the attitude toward sr's in the midwest is not too enticing to those considering forming a new group.

Well...that's something you're more in the know of than I am....can you explain the attitude more? I know in California it's been a lot of "yeah...nice....talk to me when you're big and powerful" or "There are Sr corps out here?"(yeah...and if you'd see the ENTIRE show instead of hanging out in the lot and only going into the stands for the headliners you would've known this 5 years ago!)

The story has been told well and accurately by my fab ex-seat partner. I will answer the $100M question though. We were NOT paid in 1994. We actually paid dues. I am not 100% sure when the members started getting paid. Also, if I remember correctly I think we had less than 10 shows that summer.

While experiencing Brass Theater was an important part of my musical path, it was not for me. Being in Madison that year was like torture. I couldn't even bring myself to go to finals. I left early to go home. I had three years left in my drum corps career. I never marched anywhere else. While sad, I'm glad that I had the time I did with a group that was at the top of the game.

I, too, have the hole. It is partially filled by getting to be a part of the greatness that is Star United. Even if it is on the sideline. Who knew typing about this would still be so sad after 15 years. That's it from me although I'm happy to answer questions people have.

'96 was when we started with the scholarships to IU. They were there to lure college bound musicians in.

Casey