Star of Indiana

Two things-

In 98, we were paid a certain amount of our college tuition if we attended an Indiana University related schools. Those that went to 'other' colleges were paid a different amount towards their college dues.

As for the "Star of Indiana" name - here is what I've heard.

Cook still owns the name "Star of Indiana". All the music and copyrights are part of Mason's organization. When Blast! started, Bill Cook was no longer a part, financially. In fact, slowly over the next few years, part of the money that Blast made went to Mr. Cook to pay him back for all the years that he helped Star and Brass Theater as kind of a "thank you for everything" gesture. Eventually, Blast and Jim Mason had paid Mr. Cook back 100% for the drum corps years.

I'm not going to say this is gospel - but It's what I have been led to believe. (not makin' waves - just sayin).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things-

In 98, we were paid a certain amount of our college tuition if we attended an Indiana University related schools. Those that went to 'other' colleges were paid a different amount towards their college dues.

As for the "Star of Indiana" name - here is what I've heard.

Cook still owns the name "Star of Indiana". All the music and copyrights are part of Mason's organization. When Blast! started, Bill Cook was no longer a part, financially. In fact, slowly over the next few years, part of the money that Blast made went to Mr. Cook to pay him back for all the years that he helped Star and Brass Theater as kind of a "thank you for everything" gesture. Eventually, Blast and Jim Mason had paid Mr. Cook back 100% for the drum corps years.

I'm not going to say this is gospel - but It's what I have been led to believe. (not makin' waves - just sayin).

Pay back Bill Cook? The billionaire who is listed in Forbes as one of the richest men in America. It's a touching gesture, but I wouldn't really miss that money if I was the 1% of Americans whose family is set for life. I would think that Cook wouldve felt the experience was the payback, but what do I know...

I'm just an idealist.

Pay back Bill Cook? The billionaire who is listed in Forbes as one of the richest men in America. It's a touching gesture, but I wouldn't really miss that money if I was the 1% of Americans whose family is set for life. I would think that Cook wouldve felt the experience was the payback, but what do I know...

I'm just an idealist.

I doubt he became a billionaire by ignoring financial matters....regardless of his personal worth, $1million is a LOT of money.

Also, don't forget, he didn't fund the corps every year....he expected it to work on being self-sustaining as much as possible....he simply provided the necessary seed-money.

84BDsop-

Bingo you hit the nail on the head!

Can we move this to historical? Star went out of business 15 years ago.

First off, if you aren't going to contribute to the thread there is no need for you to post. You didn't have to click on the link if you didn't want to read the thread here.

Second, this thread is talking about members well after the days of Star. Members who aged out as many as 6 years later which would be 1999. As well as the extension of Star clear into last few years with Blast and the sequel, which I haven't seen but think it is called Blast 2? So hardly historical in those aspects.

As well as the extension of Star clear into last few years with Blast and the sequel, which I haven't seen but think it is called Blast 2? So hardly historical in those aspects.

Blast 2 is known as "Shockwave", and it's got woodwinds and electronics! Needless to say, it's a very entertaining show and everyone here should see/enjoy it.

I just wanna say that I've really, really enjoyed reading this thread. As someone who never saw Star live, but worshiped the videos (particularly of '93), it's been great to read these stories and get some history on the transition from Star to Brass Theater to Blast. Thank you for sharing your memories, heartbreaking as they might be. I could read about this all day.

First off, if you aren't going to contribute to the thread there is no need for you to post. You didn't have to click on the link if you didn't want to read the thread here.

Second, this thread is talking about members well after the days of Star. Members who aged out as many as 6 years later which would be 1999. As well as the extension of Star clear into last few years with Blast and the sequel, which I haven't seen but think it is called Blast 2? So hardly historical in those aspects.

Don't be a dork.