Star of Indiana

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt he became a billionaire by ignoring financial matters....regardless of his personal worth, $1million is a LOT of money.

Also, don't forget, he didn't fund the corps every year....he expected it to work on being self-sustaining as much as possible....he simply provided the necessary seed-money.

Absolutely true.

The Star of Indiana bus lines was one such example. It started with the corps' own buses, grew to include those of Madison Scouts during the off-season, and grew more to include additional buses. The venture was run to help support the corps. It started off slow and grew in a controlled manner into a large venture.

There were other fund-raising projects as well, such as the mini grand prix based on what Bluecoats were doing. I was in Bloomington for that one year and it had turned in to a HUGE public spectacle on the Bloomington downtown square, with a multitude of businesses sponsoring teams. These folks were really into it, with uniformed pit crews. One carpet dealer even had their pit carpeted.

Bill gave the corps a start. After that, it was up to them to make it viable and functional. That is typical of how he's given people chances to do things. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't and the people move on as Bill has when certain business ventures didn't work out.

I started a thread about his new book. In it is discussed how he's started certain projects, product lines, companies, whatever, and realized it wasn't going as he expected. He would cut his losses and start something new that did work. He was never afraid to admit something wasn't working out. But he wasn't afraid to try something new, and right away.

And that is part of what made Star successful. A circus show? Hey, why not. Another such show? Nope...move on to something different.

Absolutely true.

The Star of Indiana bus lines was one such example. It started with the corps' own buses, grew to include those of Madison Scouts during the off-season, and grew more to include additional buses. The venture was run to help support the corps. It started off slow and grew in a controlled manner into a large venture.

There were other fund-raising projects as well, such as the mini grand prix based on what Bluecoats were doing. I was in Bloomington for that one year and it had turned in to a HUGE public spectacle on the Bloomington downtown square, with a multitude of businesses sponsoring teams. These folks were really into it, with uniformed pit crews. One carpet dealer even had their pit carpeted.

Bill gave the corps a start. After that, it was up to them to make it viable and functional. That is typical of how he's given people chances to do things. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't and the people move on as Bill has when certain business ventures didn't work out.

I started a thread about his new book. In it is discussed how he's started certain projects, product lines, companies, whatever, and realized it wasn't going as he expected. He would cut his losses and start something new that did work. He was never afraid to admit something wasn't working out. But he wasn't afraid to try something new, and right away.

And that is part of what made Star successful. A circus show? Hey, why not. Another such show? Nope...move on to something different.

And if you go to teh Cook website and bring up the bus company page, the logo looks VERY familiar!!

Heh...I'd consider approaching him about investing in my fencing business -- especially considering the across-the-board improvements I'm working on -- but the financial return probably wouldn't be doable.

Chain link or picket?

The sport, you goofball!

*sigh.....what do I expect from someone who played a G garden hose??* :tongue:

BTW...I DO get a call at my office about once a month from someone WANTING chain link....even though my outgoing phone message CLEARLY states we;re for teh SPORT of fencing.....every fencing club and supplier gets that call...

Edited by 84BDsop

The Mini Grand Prix was a ton of fun. I will have to dig through my pictures. Mr. Cook was often driving the Star Bus Lines car which of course had a sharp mini Star Bus body on it in place of the normal aero package. Several divisions of Cook had their own cars. My favorite was from Cook Urological, which was (of course) christened The Wizzer. Good times.

The Mini Grand Prix was a ton of fun. I will have to dig through my pictures. Mr. Cook was often driving the Star Bus Lines car which of course had a sharp mini Star Bus body on it in place of the normal aero package. Several divisions of Cook had their own cars. My favorite was from Cook Urological, which was (of course) christened The Wizzer. Good times.

I was working on the coronary angioplasty book in Bloomington when the event was run. The day before, I got a call from Bill's secretary to go down to the parking lot. I'm standing there wondering what I'm supposed to be waiting for when Bill came around the corner in the mini Star bus. He waved as he went past and I just about fell on the ground laughing so hard because I wasn't aware of the contraption. The next time around, he stopped and told me to get in and take it around the factory. I was terrified. Not only did I have to steer with my legs because I barely fit in it, I was fearful of running it into the ditch and putting it out of commission for the next day's event. Bill had it souped up to play the role of a pace vehicle. He' lead every heat once around the town square and then stomp on the pedal, disappearing instantly.

I think I got the bus up to about 5 mph, and that is not an exaggeration.

Mason owns the name "Star of Indiana." He won't release the name. This is why our alumni mini-corps goes by "Star United."

Actually, Bill Cook owns the name "Star of Indiana. When Bill decided to end his involvement with Blast, Jim Mason assumed the IP rights and assets of Blast and Bill assumed the IP rights and assets of Star of Indiana Drum and Bugle Corps. I believe Bill also owns the rights to Brass Theater, but am not 100% sure.

Rob

The final number, the Great Gate at Kiev, was an initiation for that novice crowd. We know what that wall of brass sounds like. This audience felt that bliss for the first time and responded on its feet. Among the decades of New York City performances I’ve witnessed, among the many Broadway shows and symphony orchestras, jazz bands, ballets and operas, it was the one and only standing ovation I’ve seen given at intermission. At the break, all the talk was about how they’d never heard anything like that. We have.

Thanks for posting this - it was definitely surreal seeing the audience rise to its feet before intermission!! We were prepped before the concert by the Canadian Brass telling us that New York audiences are generally quite fickle and to not expect overwhelming reaction.... I'm glad they were wrong.... :)

Rob

I was working on the coronary angioplasty book in Bloomington when the event was run. The day before, I got a call from Bill's secretary to go down to the parking lot. I'm standing there wondering what I'm supposed to be waiting for when Bill came around the corner in the mini Star bus. He waved as he went past and I just about fell on the ground laughing so hard because I wasn't aware of the contraption. The next time around, he stopped and told me to get in and take it around the factory. I was terrified. Not only did I have to steer with my legs because I barely fit in it, I was fearful of running it into the ditch and putting it out of commission for the next day's event. Bill had it souped up to play the role of a pace vehicle. He' lead every heat once around the town square and then stomp on the pedal, disappearing instantly.

I think I got the bus up to about 5 mph, and that is not an exaggeration.

That wasn't the day the brakes failed and he jetted out across Curry Pike at rushhour, was it?