New Additions to DCA?

Kansan

Additions to DCA  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who will graduate from exhibition?

• Masquerade
    • High Country Brass
    • Prairie Sound
    • En Garde
    • Sounds of Philidelphia
    • Austin Stars
    • Derby City Knights
  2. 2. Who will make it to Rochester?

• Sun Devils
    • Derby City Knights
    • Austin Stars
    • Cincinnati Tradition

Talked to someone who did Cincy this year. She said things might be pointed toward the organization sticking with the parade gigs. The have their niche, and they fit well in it.

File this under "rumor", though. She only mentioned it because she was looking for a corps that's already fielding so she can make sure to be on the field in Rochester next year.

We had like 5 (maybe) people from Cinc. Tradition actually march Cru last year, they were some of our most talented and dedicated members.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... someone cue the "One-Note Samba" music..... :tongue:

Fran

This is just a little samba, Built upon a single note

Other notes are bound to follow, But the root is still that note

Now this new one is the consequence, Of the one we've just been through

As I'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you

There's so many people who can talk and talk and talk and just say nothing, Or nearly nothing

I have used up all the scale I know, And at the end I've come to nothing, Or nearly no- thing

So I came back to my first note, As I must come back to you

I will pour into that one note, All the love I feel for you

Anyone who wants the whole show, Re mi fa sol la si do

He will find himself with no show, Better play the note you know

Not unless something changes. Fortunately it is a rules congress year. But currently more than 21 and you're not allowed in minicorps. Less than 35 and you're not allowed in Class A. Long gone are the times when you could just decide to go to DCA and compete in whatever capacity you qualified for when that time arrived. But not anymore, unless something changes.

I'm sure Austin Stars can make it competitively next season. Unless the minimum gets changed to 80. We already have the uniforms 200+. And guard equipment. And working on drums from what I hear. Still a little lacking in hornline equipment, as everyone either owns or borrows the horns they perform with at this point in time. 2008 was 4x's larger than 2007. If they get 4x's bigger again, they'll fly past Class A and straight into Open Class.

In the meantime I'm going out of my way to ensure that the Audio and Video recordings exist. With or with out DCA.

and if it is ok, here's hoping that those who do make the trek don't mortgage their future on it and then end up dead and never back again.

whoever shows up, do it smart. i remember way too many one hit wonders at DCA prelims, only to be a statistic in the yearbook

Looks like people are expecting Derby City and Austin to DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what they do in '09.

Edited by Kansan

Looks like people are expecting Derby City DO SOMTHING!!!!!!!!

Not sure what Basey has in store this year but whatever it is,,its gonna be fun. :tongue:

Looks like The Sun Devils are expected to do good things again in '09. :tongue:

Edited by Kansan

High Country Brass could be the sleeper that bites everyone in the behind. :tongue:

and if it is ok, here's hoping that those who do make the trek don't mortgage their future on it and then end up dead and never back again.

I keep hearing this, but I'm having trouble citing any examples. Most of the belly up or season or two awayers were OPEN class corps. I doubt that Govenaires, Lakeshoremen, GCS, Shenandoah Sound and probably some others who have been to and competed in Class A with less than 35 members (and even made finals in some cases) in recent history (past decade, but not past two years) did so by mortgaging their future.

Granted that going to DCA one year, or buying a shiney new contra instead has it's merits. But I just don't see this prevailing attitude of IF you go as a small corps, you mortgage your future. By that logic I&E, and even Minicorps shouldn't even exist either. And how does it apply to say a small corps 22-34 members forming in Rochester. DCA has deemed it to costly for them to go to Rochester from Rochester? Before they even had a chance to exist.

Best of luck to any small corps.

it wasn't directed at any corps, but really to all corps....do whats financially smart. so far, those coming now consistently are doing that. But we want more to come and come again, and I hope they are smart about it.

as for 22-34, get a rules proposal in to get it changed or honestly, quit #####ing. we know how you feel. you know the way to go to make change happen....go there.

as for 22-34, get a rules proposal in to get it changed or honestly, quit #####ing. we know how you feel. you know the way to go to make change happen....go there.

Well technically I'm not a corps director. Therefor I'm not allowed to propose rules. I'm not even a member of a DCA corps (35 minimum rule), so there's some doubt that if I got my corps director to submit a rule / my rule, if it'd even be looked at. But I will do what I can. Not that I have access to existing rules and their wording to base my proposal off of. Or even know WHEN / WHERE the rules congress will take place.

As far as #####ing. If DCA 2006 had happened as it SHOULD HAVE happened. And if the 35 rule DIDN"T EXIST. I probably wouldn't have #####ed at all. Or I could just take the majority stance and not care at all. At which point I would have said NOTHING, because I DIDN'T CARE.