The one bad thing about Rochester Stadium

Seriously though...this is Frontier Field in Rochester. Site of 1996 DCA Finals. The front sideline was BEHIND 2ND BASE. AND...the field got cut off at around the 10's or 15's on either side due to there not being enough room left to right!!

frontierfield.jpg

Yeah... that was a pretty bizarre setup. The first 10 to 15 rows of seats on the 50-yard line were among the worst seats in the house. A mile away, or so it seemed.

It was like we were in some sort of alternative universe or something. The 10-yard-line seats were better than a bunch of those on the 50.

Honestly, though..... to date, that Frontier Field PA system is the best one I've ever worked with. Great sound, in "real time".... no delay.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok

couple of things

moving forward probably could be done... might help... might not - multitude of extra lines would be confusing

my concern is that if you move forward even just 5 yards... does that completely kill the seats from the 35 to the 0 yard lines?

field was set exactly the same three years in a row

Now Frontier field... not to make excuses... it sucked... but I was one who walked the stadium when they first allowed us to go into the construction site... I knew right away that we had been done in by Maury Silver's daughter Naomi - then owner of the ball club... the stadium design we had bid to (yes we bid a stadium sight unseen) had been changed by the silver family turning what was supposed to be a multi purpose facility for the community into an old time retro ball park... the change was the pitch of the seats... Had the stadium had the normal pitch in the first drawings - we would have been ok... not perfect but ok...

It was still the largest crowd in "modern" dca history

Honestly, though..... to date, that Frontier Field PA system was the best one I've ever worked with. Great sound, in "real time".... no delay.

Fran

Were you ever tempted to say "Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota... "

See? I knew it was just my imagination!

ok

moving forward probably could be done... might help... might not - multitude of extra lines would be confusing

my concern is that if you move forward even just 5 yards... does that completely kill the seats from the 35 to the 0 yard lines?

It was still the largest crowd in "modern" dca history

I've been coming since 99, it was better than Syrexcuse and Scrampton :thumbup: DCA out did themselves this year and are to be commended for staging an awesome weekend, thank you guys...

Rochester was a perfect drum corps host city, we had a blast and will be back .....

I need to agree with Lee on this one, I can only imagine what it would sound like sitting in the handicap row.

Since they need to paint the whole football field anyway, the line closest to the stands is already there (the soccer boundry)

The 2 things that could be confusing is the lacrosse boundry and the soccer kick-off circle wouldn't be centered.

The video and still cameras don't always need to be part of the show like they are now!!!!

"Seriously though...this is Frontier Field in Rochester. Site of 1996 DCA Finals. The front sideline was BEHIND 2ND BASE. AND...the field got cut off at around the 10's or 15's on either side due to there not being enough room left to right!!"

Reduced: 95% of original size [ 419 x 284 ] - Click to view full image

Fran added:

"Yeah... that was a pretty bizarre setup. The first 10 to 15 rows of seats on the 50-yard line were among the worst seats in the house. A mile away, or so it seemed.

It was like we were in some sort of alternative universe or something. The 10-yard-line seats were better than a bunch of those on the 50."

Please permit a brief off-topic, but related memory:

East-coast/NY metro area corps folks might recall the NY Daily News contest in May of 1964. It was held in Shea Stadium (soon to be demolished!). It was baseball season, and the contest field was in the outfield also. The 50 yard line marker was directly behind second base. I sat in the upper deck that night. Talk about viewing a show from another time zone! The sound delay was incredibly annoying. Blessed Sacrament won the junior show, and Hawthorne the seniors.

A few years later, I was there with the Cabs to play exhibitions between doubleheader games (remember Sunday doubleheaders?), and we also had to perform in the outfield, but with no yard markers!

I too agree the field could be closer without interfering with judges, recording equipment, etc. As for the person who mentioned that perhaps the space that existed in Scranton was too little, need he be reminded that there was room enough for a corps to troop the stands? (this is about the space , not the corps, ok?) :thumbup: In short, the closer, the better, as I like loud, too!

Bill

one final concern with moving the field closer... the architects take all these things into account... would the angle from the third deck also be screwed up if it was 5 yards closer?

If it was closer, I believe we would have to further limit the number of photographers allowed.. just a secondary lose you might not think of... I was still bothered at prelims with too many people in the front area...

and while I certainly subscribe to "loud is good"... I'm not sure the newer fans would agree if it got too much "in your face"

I know, there's no such thing as TOO MUCH "in your face"

The upper deck view would defintely be affected if you moved it in closer. For the worse. I sat midway up in the 3rd deck and although you had to strain to hear soft passages, and occasionally be distracted by the surrounding sounds of corps warming up and police sirens, the impact points did come across upstairs. I feel if you move the field closer, the sound will go right into the lower bowl/VIP area between the 40's and get trapped below the 3rd deck overhang. Also when you are in the upperdeck, you can not see the area closest to the stands or anyone sitting in the lower level. Your view gets cut off just beyond the DM podium. Also there are more seats in the upper level than the lower level, as the lower level has only 11 rows, many are partial rows since the entrance way to get in the lower level cuts a lot of rows in half. I sat in the lower level for the alumni. It was loud enough. If you move the field closer, the worse seats in the house will be the areas where there are more seats..outside the 40's in the upper level. Another thing to consider. There is only one side to enter and leave the field for a corps. If you move the field in, you are compromising space for both entering and exiting pit crews to set up or leave. I say keep it the way it is!