The one bad thing about Rochester Stadium

The turf at Rochester is awesome, but the one thing that, IMO, hurts Rochester stadium for drum corps is the incredibly far distance from the stands to the field. It is as if you are watching drum corps through binoculars at times -- a lot of the impact is lost.

I wonder -- is there any way to line the field differently so that one of from pit markers is the front sideline? Getting the fans closer to the corps would go a long way towards giving our shows that much more impact for the fans.

Note -- this issue affects every corps equally, so this is not a Renegades, or any other corps, comment. Just my .02 on one aspect of the stadium that makes an otherwise fantastic venue not-so-great for drum corps. Other than that, Rochester is cool (especially without the random slippery baseball dirt areas from Scranton)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it beats Frontier Field up the street Lee. you really DID need binoculars there

You should have at Frontier Field in 96, the field was in a different zip code from the stands. Other than that mostly everything else was cool.

Paetec is light-years better than Frontier Field, but Lee has a good point here. A bit closer would help. IMO.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

You should have at Frontier Field in 96, the field was in a different zip code from the stands. Other than that mostly everything else was cool.

Frontier Stadium - oh if I wasn't such a lady!!!!!

it beats Frontier Field up the street Lee. you really DID need binoculars there

I have never been to Frontier Field, but I think DCA would be a better overall experience for the fans if the corps were closer.

I'm not sure it's possible as those field boundaries seem to be permanently there. I really didn't think it was that far back, and the room on the sidelines makes it a little easier for camera people and judges to move around each other without getting in each other's way.

I know the last year ACC's was in Scranton, i felt caged whenever I went up front, always watching around for wires, cables and other people moving in and around.

I have never been to Frontier Field, but I think DCA would be a better overall experience for the fans if the corps were closer.

Be glad you never endured Frontier. I felt for Mr. B that year in '96. Rochester was so proud to host DCA again. The souvie area was fantastic. Fan$ were only close at the 10 yd. line. Built in an old style on purpose by a lady who wanted and got her way, the seats were at a low slant, meaning that row 10 was in LeRoy. The press box was across the state line and judges were supposed to judge from high and afar?

Ernesto was Mother Nature. I can let it go. Frontier is another matter. Congrats to W'shore that year.

Hmm...Good idea. In your face is always good.

The turf at Rochester is awesome, but the one thing that, IMO, hurts Rochester stadium for drum corps is the incredibly far distance from the stands to the field. It is as if you are watching drum corps through binoculars at times -- a lot of the impact is lost.

I wonder -- is there any way to line the field differently so that one of from pit markers is the front sideline? Getting the fans closer to the corps would go a long way towards giving our shows that much more impact for the fans.

Note -- this issue affects every corps equally, so this is not a Renegades, or any other corps, comment. Just my .02 on one aspect of the stadium that makes an otherwise fantastic venue not-so-great for drum corps. Other than that, Rochester is cool (especially without the random slippery baseball dirt areas from Scranton)

I think the answer to your question is Yes, I'm pretty sure we can cheat the whole field in at least 8 steps, maybe 12.

I think the answer to your question is Yes, I'm pretty sure we can cheat the whole field in at least 8 steps, maybe 12.

That would be awesome. Anything would help.

Other than the distance factor, it is a great facility -- as proven in 2006 when we didn't have corps members "ice skating" around the field and falling down when it got wet, as we saw in Scranton.