The one bad thing about Rochester Stadium

There were as many attending the Alumni Spectacular as were at Pre-lims. I would think just the opposite

make the Alumni Show bigger and better.

I hear there is some rumblings going on about an SDCA circuit. Make no mistake about it, the nostalgia

crowd is growing.

People love the memories......

:cool:

I'm sure that OldStyle was talking about the fact that, if we move the championship site out of the NE, an idea that does have merit, the Alumni Spectacular is part of the package. However, moving the championships too far from the NE will cause some alumni corps to cancel plans as their budget is even more limited than competitive corps.

We all love our alumni and want the Alumni Spectacular at any championship site. Moving it out of the NE is a noble idea, yet complicated. As someone said, bring on the bids.

SDCA -- I'm watching that one closely, an indoor circuit during the current "off-season." An old idea reinvented at a good time. Chris Ferrara has a healthy start. Charlie Groh in SoCal has his own great ideas. Ferrara and Groh need to connect and chat as well as anyone else interested in small corps. All those who complain about where do 22 - 34 people perform, here ya' go.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At any stadium, I like to see the action as close to the fan$ as possible. However, I'd never like to see the skilled, dedicated photographers limited more than currently. Francesca DeMello, Harry Heidelmark, Dan Scafidi and Richard Wersinger for DCWorld, and Charlie Groh for DCPlanet all contributed superbly in their roles as photojournalists.

All of us, whether we were in Rochester or sitting back home checking the excellent live coverage here on DCP should go back and check out the fantastic Groh photos of all 3 major field events. The October issue of DCW typically has more photos than normal and that's a lot. Steve Vickers, DCW publisher, has over 2,000 pics from our 4 photographers who worked hard on the field.

Move the action closer, but let's keep our photogs who photograph the history of our activity. Contact these photogs to see if you were preserved as part of this history. Odds are good that you were.

I performed in the Alumni show with the Crusaders Seniors, and watched the remainder of the Alumni Spectacular and the Finals from two different areas of the stadium. I thought the crowd was well served from both areas. As a performer, I felt we were close enough to the audience to communicate and to feel the energy of the crowd. It's a great venue, in my opinion and that of our corps. The only issue in my opinion, is that DCA seems to be getting more popular each year, and good seats will be harder to find. Of course, that's a wonderful problem to have!

I recall the old Dream show that used to be held in Roosevelt Stadium, and considered a classic show of drum corps. The seats were a mile away and at an angle away from the corps. I think there was also a bad echo. Give me Paetek any day.

As for the travel to Rochester, my corps considers it an honor to be in this show, and if we have to do a couple of extra parades to help the cost, we are willing to do it.

Art Kellerman

Interesting that a Renegade started this post...I was in the lower section, row G, close to the 50...if the Renegades had been any closer to the sidelines, my hearing STILL wouldn't be right!!!! LOL Make no mistake, LOUD IS GOOD...but seriously, as a fan I didn't find a problem with it. As a fan, the ONE complaint that everyone in the stands seems to have is that in Paetec, if you need to get in/out of a row, good luck...the rows really need to be a bit wider. And to echo Fran's sentiments, you will not find a better mini-corps venue. Standing in a dark ski area trying to see really sucked, and it couldn't have been much fun performing there either (Crunchy Frogs excepted).

OK......

I'm thinking that perhaps we can add a row or two of seats on the field, in front of the stands, like the row or two of seats (folding chairs, usually) that you see courtside at basketball arenas.

These would be VIP seats.

You could charge, say, $500 per seat, with DCA getting half. And the other half payable to me.

Good idea, right? :cool:

Fran

OK......

I'm thinking that perhaps we can add a row or two of seats on the field, in front of the stands, like the row or two of seats (folding chairs, usually) that you see courtside at basketball arenas.

These would be VIP seats.

You could charge, say, $500 per seat, with DCA getting half. And the other half payable to me.

Good idea, right? :cool:

Fran

Heh. Had to go into reply to see what you typed in yellow.

Nice way to suppliment an income I'd say.

gee... I wonder who could maybe get something like that done? hmmmm who comes to mind???? I just keep thinking the number 7 and more 7 and more 7

gee... I wonder who could maybe get something like that done? hmmmm who comes to mind???? I just keep thinking the number 7 and more 7 and more 7

Go for it Lee.Sounds like you got official permission to move forward with it.

Random thought -- it would be cool to put together a 60-minute program about DCA and the competing corps, and get it onto ESPN.

ESPN has high school football shows for christ sakes. DCA should be able bring more to the table in terms of revenue than po dunk High.

Best of luck to you.Hope it works out.

Edited by camel lips

whoa.... horsey....

not in any way official permission to do anything...

Lee knows who to talk to...