a Minor Chord

If it makes you feel any better, I remember looking at the score of the opener in 2007 and asking why the last chord was I chord in the second inversion. I had just learned in theory that it was a no-no because I 6/4's would be used as passing chords or for a cadential 6/4.

[/music major-ness]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was any major chord held for 8 counts, with the last four counts including an alto popping the 5th above the top note!

Not quite exactly what you're talking about, but you reminded me of one of my favorite moments from BD 2000:

Starting at about 6:20, the high brass hold a major chord with the lead trumpets on the third, then the low brass join, and then for the last measure the lead trumpets pop the fifth while the lead mellos jump up to the tonic. Easily one of my favorite examples of this sort of thing.

Not quite exactly what you're talking about, but you reminded me of one of my favorite moments from BD 2000:

Starting at about 6:20, the high brass hold a major chord with the lead trumpets on the third, then the low brass join, and then for the last measure the lead trumpets pop the fifth while the lead mellos jump up to the tonic. Easily one of my favorite examples of this sort of thing.

Go Chantelle!

Check out the chord they play from 8:34-8:39. :thumbup:

Not so much a minor chord, but the 2nd year of the Crossmen "Songs for the Planet Earth" trilogy, the last chord did not resolve...

It was the first year of Songs for Planet Earth (1992).

I want to say that the ninth and eleventh were the notes that make that chord different, but I don't remember for sure.

Well, most of those "jazz chords" you're talking about ARE minor chords, or are set upon scales in the Dorian mode.

well technically yes...(I haven't gotten into anything about Modes yet, so bear with me), but these usually involve some sort of dissonance...at least that's what my ears are inferring.

When I think "Jazz Chord", I think of a lot of 70's & 80's corps endings. (76 Bridgemen, 84 VK before the final resolution chord)

...again, I'm just going by what my ears are inferring, I could be completely wrong.

I always thought Crown's ending this past year was interesting because it ended on the V chord. It just stayed on V so long that it almost ended up feeling like the tonic. Obviously not a minor chord, but interesting nonetheless.

BD 1995. Chord at the end of the opener.

well technically yes...(I haven't gotten into anything about Modes yet, so bear with me), but these usually involve some sort of dissonance...at least that's what my ears are inferring.

When I think "Jazz Chord", I think of a lot of 70's & 80's corps endings. (76 Bridgemen, 84 VK before the final resolution chord)

...again, I'm just going by what my ears are inferring, I could be completely wrong.

Everything is Modes!

I always thought Crown's ending this past year was interesting because it ended on the V chord. It just stayed on V so long that it almost ended up feeling like the tonic. Obviously not a minor chord, but interesting nonetheless.

Actually, there was a modulation to Bb Major, and then it ended on a plagal cadence (IV-I)

Not many groups have the sack to end on a plagal cadence.

Actually, there was a modulation to Bb Major, and then it ended on a plagal cadence (IV-I)

Not many groups have the sack to end on a plagal cadence.

AMEN!

(haha...plagal cadence...get it...???)

Sorry to insert a little more dorkiness into this thread.