College marching band competition

En929

Travel is another issue.......Even a band like Ohio State, with excellent funding, only hits something like 2 away games per year. One of their members or staff could clarify that. I recall hearing that when they traveled to Texas 3 seasons ago that it cost $225,000. For one, they have to fly, unless you plan to allow the members out of classes for 2 or 3 days and make the trip by bus. .......

Our friend's daughter marches with the Applachian State band. You many recall they travelled to Michigan last year. The mother lamented the football team flew, while her baby had to take a coach bus. :thumbup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched for 5 years at Eastern Michigan University. Scott Boerma and Mark Waymire were my college band directors. If there ever was an environment to do something "competitive" with college marching band, this was it.

I can tell you that college marching band is not intended, nor should it ever be, for competition. And I am very glad it never was. I marched and taught SW while marching in college. Forgive me, but when I get home from tour and get to college marching band, I want to "relax" a little bit and not get yelled at.

College marching band has a different purpose. It is purely for the entertainment of your average "joe-six-pack" football fan in the stands. Nothing more, nothing less. And I liked it that way. I enjoyed college marching band as much as I enjoyed marching drum corps. Both were a great time. Drum corps for it precison, passion, and being pushed beyond where I thought I could go musically and visually. College marching band because I got to have some fun, play Stix and Led Zepplin, and relish the tradition that comes from your schools band. Also, college marching band kids throw the best parties.

Not to mention the travel costs would be astronomical. My freshman year, we traveled to Temple Univ and Bowling Green. My sophmore year to Central Mich. My junior year to Western Mich. My first senior year, to Navy. My second senior year, to Detroit. We basically had money to take that one, maybe two trips per year. Not to mention a lot of college bands that would be competitvley successful have bowl games to consider. Just off the top of my head, Ohio State, Univ of Mich, Mich State, Notre Dame, Univ of Florida, FSU. All of these are fantastic band that all typically have to spend money out the ### to go to a bowl game.

Sorry for the ramble.

As previously stated, the big BCS schools have games every weekend, at OU where I graduated, they sent a band to every single game; which makes that one week without a game a nice relaxing weekend. And to be honest, while a lot of folks join the big college marching bands because of band, it is at times more about the football games than band in the end; ya know, free games, free trips, money, those sort of things.

I marched for 5 years at Eastern Michigan University. Scott Boerma and Mark Waymire were my college band directors. If there ever was an environment to do something "competitive" with college marching band, this was it.

I can tell you that college marching band is not intended, nor should it ever be, for competition. And I am very glad it never was. I marched and taught SW while marching in college. Forgive me, but when I get home from tour and get to college marching band, I want to "relax" a little bit and not get yelled at.

College marching band has a different purpose. It is purely for the entertainment of your average "joe-six-pack" football fan in the stands. Nothing more, nothing less. And I liked it that way. I enjoyed college marching band as much as I enjoyed marching drum corps. Both were a great time. Drum corps for it precison, passion, and being pushed beyond where I thought I could go musically and visually. College marching band because I got to have some fun, play Stix and Led Zepplin, and relish the tradition that comes from your schools band. Also, college marching band kids throw the best parties.

Not to mention the travel costs would be astronomical. My freshman year, we traveled to Temple Univ and Bowling Green. My sophmore year to Central Mich. My junior year to Western Mich. My first senior year, to Navy. My second senior year, to Detroit. We basically had money to take that one, maybe two trips per year. Not to mention a lot of college bands that would be competitvley successful have bowl games to consider. Just off the top of my head, Ohio State, Univ of Mich, Mich State, Notre Dame, Univ of Florida, FSU. All of these are fantastic band that all typically have to spend money out the ### to go to a bowl game.

Sorry for the ramble.

That’s the reason that I like College Marching band. I like the fact that they can look and sound like a drum corp, but play some popular music and have their concept geared towards entertaining instead of just doing what the judges like (not saying drum corp isn’t entertaining). Afterall, I think the crowd is what pays the bills I think. But I’d like to see some meshing together of the attitudes. And that’s one of the reasons I came up with this original post. Personally, I think a College Marching band competition would be just as entertaining as a drum corp competition. Both can be very very good.

As for travel, when I was in college, we used to travel to places on buses just as the basketball team, etc did. At the college I went to, we didn’t have any trouble going to such places to play in the pep bands, etc. I don’t know about other colleges, but ours certainly traveled a bit, and we didn’t have much problem (I mean, what’s wrong with just ONE day of competition somewhere)?? And how about the Southern bands (Pine Bluff, etc) when they have battle of the band competitions? They travel and they make it work somehow. If there’s a way to get more than many college bands in one spot, one day (maybe regional or so), I think it could work.