When would DM's be counted as a performing member?

Another Thread on here got me to thinking about Phantoms drum Major this year and his role in the performance towards the end of the show.

In DCA,,can a DM be counted as a performing member if he/she gives a performance separately from their DM responsibility?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary pretty much has it... play a horn, drum or spin and you count... now would the acting part or pretending to die count? probably not as it would be the DM doing his on theatrics to entertain... kind of macabre but still... about the same as Dave Bruni entertaining the audience...

I did it this year. In fact, every DM at Shenandoah Sound did. I played contra for a song and Cecily & Tyler played in the pit for portions of the show.

I think the kind of entertainment typically seen from DMs like Dave Bruni and John Mayer should not be counted as it is more their "personality" than what is typically considered a "performance." However, in the event a drum major did character portrayal such as what Phantom did last year, I would think that should count, because there is little difference between that and what color guard performers do during parts of their show.

Our DM is probably going to do something performance wise. If we get two Drum Majors they might just alternate conducting and performing.

Our DM is probably going to do something performance wise. If we get two Drum Majors they might just alternate conducting and performing.

That adds two more members to the line. :whistle:

If they are killed during the show do they still count?

If they are killed during the show do they still count?

Are you nominating any particular drum majors to get killed or all of them? :whistle:

I think the DM should ALWAYS count...the honor guard stands off in the corner and is a seperate entity, contributing nothing to the actual performance....but the DM IS a major contributor...you're telling me Mayer from Govies isn't part of the entertainment package...or Russo??

If they're part of the performance unit, they should count in the numbers.