DUTless drumming

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the amount of clueless horn players in this thread... :thumbs-up:

the implementation of the kevlar snare head and higher tension tuning all around in the battery causes more dirt to be exposed. hornline attacks don't need the same type of precision as do those in the battery. with all the environmental and physical demands that world class batteries face these days, dutting is absolutely an essential tool. it's not lazy, that is an ignorant generalization. it is necessary. i, too, don't like hearing it from the top, but i'd rather hear a few duts every now and then than hear dirty attacks, or have percussion design teams water down the demands so that dutting isn't needed.

look, when you are taking huge steps across the field at ludicrous speed, coming in after a rest is gonna be messy. if everybody duts or grunts or something, it gets cleaned up.

and hornlines DO vocalize. usually it happens when they aren't playing and not everyone can see the drum major. somebody's got to bring them back in, and it isn't usually practical to listen to the drums.

dutting is fine... i think its actually pretty cool to see a line that does it well.

OK. Maybe I'm just ignorant but what the heck does a DM have to do with this discussion? With all the tempo changes and movement, and a person on the field on a stand or podium or whatever. I'm with whomever said that if months of practice doesn't get you in tune and in time with those around you - gee, I don't know. Of course, as someone else has also said I'm from "the only person on the field that could make a sound with his or her mouth was the DM. They also set the tempo of the show as well - by marching.

Really.

Puppet

i love the amount of clueless horn players in this thread... :thumbs-up:

the implementation of the kevlar snare head and higher tension tuning all around in the battery causes more dirt to be exposed. hornline attacks don't need the same type of precision as do those in the battery. with all the environmental and physical demands that world class batteries face these days, dutting is absolutely an essential tool. it's not lazy, that is an ignorant generalization. it is necessary. i, too, don't like hearing it from the top, but i'd rather hear a few duts every now and then than hear dirty attacks, or have percussion design teams water down the demands so that dutting isn't needed.

And I love the amount of clueless drummers who make comments like that.

If you knew anything about brass playing you would know that hornline entrances can be just as muddy and dirty as anythign else out there.

Ever heard a corps play out of tune on a fast passage? Well, a lot of their intonation problems are caused by not changing pitch together.

But thanks for calling a bunch of people clueless because you think that drumlines need a crutch to play in time.

And I love the amount of clueless drummers who make comments like that.

If you knew anything about brass playing you would know that hornline entrances can be just as muddy and dirty as anythign else out there.

72 brass players attack a chord and 5 players are 1/32nd late. No big deal.

9 snare drummers attack a roll and 1 is 1/32nd late. Disaster.

But thanks for calling a bunch of people clueless because you think that drumlines need a crutch to play in time.

I think a lot of people would be surprised by how ####ed up things sound back where the drum line hangs out. When the battery has been tacet for even a few measures and then need to re-enter, neither the hands of the drum major, and certainly not any on field listening point will bring them back in cleanly, and in time wioth the rest of the corps. Period.

72 brass players attack a chord and 5 players are 1/32nd late. No big deal.

9 snare drummers attack a roll and 1 is 1/32nd late. Disaster.

I think a lot of people would be surprised by how ####ed up things sound back where the drum line hangs out. When the battery has been tacet for even a few measures and then need to re-enter, neither the hands of the drum major, and certainly not any on field listening point will bring them back in cleanly, and in time wioth the rest of the corps. Period.

First off, your statement about 72 brass players attacking a chord and 5 are 1/32nd late as being no big deal, I guess...to the ear that does not know how to listen to quality brass playing, for people that do, I must say that I completely disagree, because that is not an accurate statment.

And your second quote, let me understand it...so your saying that the only thing that will bring a drumline back in after resting is dutting to have a clean entrance? Then why have there been thousands of examples where a drumline comes in after "even a few measures" and they are able to play clean without dutting? Just wondering.

I guess what it comes down to is that some of think that the only way a drumline can play clean is to dut, and others do not.

And your second quote, let me understand it...so your saying that the only thing that will bring a drumline back in after resting is dutting to have a clean entrance? Then why have there been thousands of examples where a drumline comes in after "even a few measures" and they are able to play clean without dutting? Just wondering.

probably because they were dutting

So...Dutting is the answer to life's timing issues then?

Ok...I'll make sure and remember that every time I see a great drumline, playing really clean, using rests, and don't see/hear them dutting, that they are all failing because they should have been dutting.

So...Dutting is the answer to life's timing issues then?

Ok...I'll make sure and remember that every time I see a great drumline, playing really clean, using rests, and don't see/hear them dutting, that they are all failing because they should have been dutting.

I'm not sure how you jumped to this conclusion.