DUTless drumming

The notes flowed more back in the day...

Huguda - I agree. IMHO - This approach was artistically visually appealing -- visual musicianship if you will. The presentation to the judge was that you were approaching the drum as a musical instrument and playing it rather than pounding it. However, I believe it was a mylar head specific technique. I don't think it would work with kevlar. There were other aspects of the technique where you would grip tighter, and sometimes play "through to the bottom head". With kevlar, I believe that approach would lead to tendonitis.

I'm with others on the main point though, N.O.D. NO OBNOXIOUS DUTTING

Edited by CM76

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long before drumlines start using earpieces to get timing cues through RF signals (like the drummers did in the Bejing olympics)?

However long it takes for Yamaha to see the avantage of marketing those products via drum corps. Then another year for the DCI board to be convinced that it's a necessary tool for the design and educational teams.

However long it takes for Yamaha to see the avantage of marketing those products via drum corps. Then another year for the DCI board to be convinced that it's a necessary tool for the design and educational teams.

I have also thought about this. This gig we did at disney had 35 drummers a night and we were 2 people to a float and each float was atleast 40 yards (?) apart. There were speakers around the lake ( epcot) and we had a click in one ear and music in the other. the music from the speakers on our float would start getting on top ( the lake speakers and float speakers/our clicks ran from 2 different sources ) by changing over to the lake speakers. Had something to do with distance. They were programmed to change to you don't get that car driving by really fast effect ( eeeeyyyaaaaaooooooon ) everything sounded like it always stayed in time no matter where you were standing.

Our clicks and the speakers received their source via radio ( like lavalier mics ) wave from an on property control room and the room had a small radio antenna/satalite to export it.

Now what if the drum major, bass, snare and tenor had inner ear monitors and the drum majors stayed in the center except for exccels or retards and the back battery's went on top or behind pending where they were on the field.

It would give everyone a chance to have that Star 93 level of ensemble cleanliness (hahaha)

Edited by spirit7698

look, when you are taking huge steps across the field at ludicrous speed, coming in after a rest is gonna be messy. if everybody duts or grunts or something, it gets cleaned up.

and hornlines DO vocalize. usually it happens when they aren't playing and not everyone can see the drum major. somebody's got to bring them back in, and it isn't usually practical to listen to the drums.

dutting is fine... i think its actually pretty cool to see a line that does it well.

This is funny. The dutting is not necessary...it is mental laziness. If you are performing at that level where you are subjecting the audience with a sound that doesn't belong there..I say points off.

I totally get the need for dutting but if I can hear it from the top of the lower deck - the dutting is too loud.

:thumbs-up:

This is funny. The dutting is not necessary...it is mental laziness. If you are performing at that level where you are subjecting the audience with a sound that doesn't belong there..I say points off.

You are right. What were we all thinking?!?! Dutting is just laziness, and clearly not needed. All of those drum instructors that teach it must be out of their minds!!! Why are drum corps drumlines so lazy...i mean if they just stopped slacking off, they would never need to dut. Of all the nerve!!!

:thumbs-up:

Why don't you go tell Scott Johnson? The man has been involved in every era of DCI, marching, arranging, teaching, everything. He's been involved in more DCI high percussion awards than most anyone. Go tell him he doesn't know what he is doing and that his drum lines are lazy, Mello Dude.

I say points off for you, for making a smug statement like that from the comfort of your computer chair, where there are no field placement or timing issues or cold attacks to worry about. Keeping it together on the field is often harder than it looks.

No personal disrespect intended - but I think your comment is ill-informed.

peace,

Fred O.