92 SCV at the Bottle Dance. Still perhaps the loudest moment in DCI hi

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So forgive me for being stupid, but what exactly is the Bottle Dance?

from a comment: The bottle isn't the point. The dance represents a constant balance of personal ability in mind and soul. It stands for the celebration that has survived centuries, and will thereafter. It is a symbol of how we may form festivity with our spirit and dance for our better health and for the glory of a higher power.

Perhaps someone else could elaborate?

Edited by Huntington Mallets

Suncoast 1985 was extremely loud several times. The brass hit in the thunderstorm and again during the closer right after the bass drum cadenza.

Star 90 - the opening statement.

But my #1 personal experience was Phantom 1989. Listening to their encore at DCI South hurt my ears. (And my ears can take a lot) :thumbs-up: I have never heard a horn line with that volume and sheer intensity and so in tune at the same time.

While Spirit 80 was loud, it was also very out of tune.

from a comment: The bottle isn't the point. The dance represents a constant balance of personal ability in mind and soul. It stands for the celebration that has survived centuries, and will thereafter. It is a symbol of how we may form festivity with our spirit and dance for our better health and for the glory of a higher power.

Perhaps someone else could elaborate?

From Fiddler on the Roof. The Bottle Dance is a tradition at Jewish weddings. Men dance forward on their knees with bottles of wine sunk into their homburg hats. If one of the bottles falls, the man must leave the line. SCV first played the Fiddler music and did the Bottle Dance in the early 70s, then won again with it in 78. They left it out of the 79 show only to bring it back-surprise-at Finals. They did the same thing in 82. It was completely unexpected in 1982. The crowd was so loud in Montreal, the corps phased with itself. And SCV did a whole Fiddler program in 1992. For the uninitiated, it's one of the great sentimental favorites in drum corps history, up there with 27's Danny Boy, Troopers' Battle Hymn, Kilts' Auld Lang Syne, and Muchachos' call of the bull.

Topic? Never heard anything as loud as Madison winning in 1988. After their show, and at retreat when SCV is announced.