Copycats

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

1979. A federal law was passed requiring every third corps to play Children of Sanchez that year. :wub:

Fran

Ha.....too funny. We got away from that by playing Bellavia. Another Chuck Mangione hit. Although...I do still have my Children of Sanchez cassette. :tongue:

Hmmmm.....Didnt a lot of corps do Sabre Dance back in the day?

Now, did the ground breaking Blue Devils 76 have an inspired choice of music with the'Channel One Suite' or did the De LaSalle Oaklands copy them in 74? :laughing:

Didn't Madison and Garfiled both play "Ice Castles" one year?

That's after Garfield played "Pieces of Dreams" and Madison copycatted it. :laughing:

Now, did the ground breaking Blue Devils 76 have an inspired choice of music with the'Channel One Suite' or did the De LaSalle Oaklands copy them in 74? :laughing:

The 1974 De LaSalle Oaklands copied it from the 1972 De LaSalle Oaklands, who copied it from the 1971 De LaSalle Oaklands.

As far as the guard toss or exchange, guards like Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers and 27th Lancers made it look effortlessly. It was often imitated by other groups over the years and made several appearances in the indoor guard world.

Like History, I do see it being implemented in future shows but of course with a new twist.

I recall one year ('78 or '79) when the Defenders and Crossmen were playing the same closer (New York, New York). Defenders had the flag line on their backs and the horn line stepped over them in a company front. We called it the "walk over". The second time we saw Crossmen that year, they had added something similar. Their flags were on their backs on the field, but perpendicular to the horn line's company front and did more of a "walk between". That was as close to "copycat" as I had seen to that point.

Crossmen finished in the top 12 that year (I think), so we were probably seen as the corp that did the copying. It bothered me a little at the time. Then I realized that was very much a compliment.

The 1974 De LaSalle Oaklands copied it from the 1972 De LaSalle Oaklands, who copied it from the 1971 De LaSalle Oaklands.

Can a corps copy themselves? :worthy: