Definitely not Drum Corps...

Him/Her: What are you doing this summer?

Me: I'm touring with the *************.

H/H: *************? What sport do you play?

Me: Drum corps.

H/H: Drum corps? What's that?

Me: It's like..... an extremely competitive marching band.

H/H: Wow! So what do you play?

Me: Baritone.

H/H: What's that?

Me: It's like.......... a small tuba, sounds kinda like a trombone.

H/H: Wow, that's pretty cool. How often does your band practice?

Me: God I hate you. (I actually said that once by accident, but he was a good friend so he took it as a joke :music: )

I have no affiliation with the Blue Devils, and yet I'm always afraid that someone is going to ask me this. Sometimes it keeps me up at night. :tongue::smile:

I've had that conversation before myself. Hahaha. Except I love trying to explain what a mellophone is.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's so much about being ignorant. If people have never heard of drum corps, can you really expect them to know that it's a brass, percussion, and colorguard ensemble? I tell people it's like professional marching band so they have a much better idea in their head of what it is. (Oh no! She used the "marching band" word :P)

ignorant: lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. (dictionary.com)

Hate to break it to you but people are ignorant.

When I was in college up in NY, spring of 2004, I was in my practice room and had my binder on my desk with my tour schedule on there that said "Blue Devils 2004 tentative tour schedule" A friend of was taking a look at it and said, "man you guys are going all over the country thats pretty cool! Is that with Duke?"

At least it makes sense if you are a college sports fan. :tongue:

*sigh*...just like fencing....people still ask me if I've ever actually run someone through.

Surprised they don't ask if you do chain link.

I always use this to define Drum Corps. "It's a cross between Broadway and Olympics on a football field, performed by independent young musician athletes".

I usually tell someone, "it's the best performance you'll ever see on a football field, without having to sit through a football game !"

ummm why not..

the bluejackets are a hockey team.. nhl team to boot

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/index.html

lol

been one for awhile too..

Hockey Jerseys were commonly refered to as "sweaters" as well..... maybe he was old school..... :tongue:

Me-"I'm in the bari line."

random person - "You play bari sax?! sexy."

:tongue: