THE defining thing that won Regiment a championship!

Ok folks, still, yea I know, revelling in Phantom's DCI win and as a designer, brass instructor and musician, I was thinking "What moment was it, visually, musicaly etc that sealed Regiment's win?" For me, being with the corps the weekend the awesopme ending was added in Allentown, THAT for me, from when "Spartacus" is killed mid-field, & the DM sees this and decides to revolt and does the "Homage' et Spartacus" and then the ending where, much to their credit, the DM (aka: Tribune in Roman epitah) decides he's had enough -- runs almost 30 yards, picks up a spear, changes towards the evil Emporer and slays him for his acts, and then, valiantly leads his charges (horns, guard & drums) through to the end as he victoriously stands atop his fallen dicatator!

THAT my friends was PURE, PURE EPIC! And, it started the moment Regiment changed their on-field entrance. The addition of the herallds in the opener, dead center on the 50, with a Junior Officer watching over the chained captor, then saluting Will upon the podium in the traditional Roman salute! And then the "production" starts and doesn't stop until 'Spartacus's body is covered by a death shroud in the center of the two sides of the corps proper.

If there EVER was a definitive moment when the whole essence of a drum corp show -- that ending, and the effect it had was mesmorizing! I will NEVER forget the FIRST time I saw that ending in rehearsal in Flemington NJ - and later that night in it's finished form in Allentown !!! It was spellbinding and something which raised the hairs on one's neck, escalated you're heartbeat, made you're blood run faster and despite the heat of a summer night --- gave one, i9ncluding me, goosebumps and chills! From the entrance onto the field, the heralds signaling the entrance and the "Emporer" being pushed onto the field by the captive slaves, to the Capes, red & purple that accentuated their uniforms, right down to the bronze/silver/gold sashes worn by horn/perc members set the tone for one of, if not THE most memorable Drum corps ending in DCI's history.

What moment do YOU think set the tone for PR's victory, and was it pure unadulterated love for this show and it's music and history that we as audience members and fans literally as a podcast noted "willed" Phantom regiment to win? The score is what predicts a Champion, and what was it and when in the season, did it become evident that THIS WAS "THE" SHOW!?

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was scoring more points then everyone else but that's just me.

An a Regiment alumnus, I don't know what to make of such effusive praise... I watched BD rehearse in Hutchinson and had a good opportunity to study that show. At the time I thought they would be very difficult to beat by any other group. I thought Regiment's show was good and entertaining, but not at BD's level. But, I also thought Regiment's show had had potential; it was going to grow and get better - and not just from the standpoint of execution. DB was so good at that point, I didn't know how much more room for growth there was. I kind of think they peaked too early. With Regiment, there were several drill changes that increased the difficulty and the viewer interest in the show (particularly the closer).

None of the elements is really unique (with one exception, which I will mention later). The way Regiment essentially took over the field and in effect started their show well before the music started was fun - but it has been done before (e.g., SCV 89). The way the show seemed to flow and use clever drill design elements like the gladiator arena was also very good - but again, there were several other corps that did this. Even the element at the end with the "insurrection" has been done before, like the magic trick that SCV used to do at the end of their performances. It's a little ironic because there were some that thought the magic trick at the end of the '89 SCV show gave them the championship instead of their performance on the field. I don't know, I didn't see that performance that year. :tongue: Wait ---- Rick V. marched in SCV in '89 ... hmmmm ...

I don't think you can point to a single element. IF Regiment had not won drums, IF their horns were a little weaker, if, if, if... all I do know is that they had to have performed extremely well to beat B.D. The only unique element that perhaps brought the whole thing home was a boost to the GE score caused by the crowd responses at the end - - showmanship, and salesmanship :D

Well, I only saw the show once all season. I was in the stands finals night, the one and only night when Phantom came out first in the standings and beat every other corps, so I like to think that what made the difference was... well, me. :tongue:

...when "Spartacus" is killed mid-field, & the DM sees this and decides to revolt and does the "Homage' et Spartacus" and then the ending where, much to their credit, the DM (aka: Tribune in Roman epitah) decides he's had enough -- runs almost 30 yards, picks up a spear, changes towards the evil Emporer and slays him for his acts, and then, valiantly leads his charges (horns, guard & drums) through to the end as he victoriously stands atop his fallen dicatator!

THAT my friends was PURE, PURE EPIC! And, it started the moment Regiment changed their on-field entrance.

I agree with you. Making those changes was what really had everybody-- corps members and fans-- buzzing and believing that BD could be caught. Without those changes, I don't think cleaning alone would have propelled them to the win.

Ok folks, still, yea I know, revelling in Phantom's DCI win and as a designer, brass instructor and musician, I was thinking "What moment was it, visually, musicaly etc that sealed Regiment's win?" For me, being with the corps the weekend the awesopme ending was added in Allentown, THAT for me, from when "Spartacus" is killed mid-field, & the DM sees this and decides to revolt and does the "Homage' et Spartacus" and then the ending where, much to their credit, the DM (aka: Tribune in Roman epitah) decides he's had enough -- runs almost 30 yards, picks up a spear, changes towards the evil Emporer and slays him for his acts, and then, valiantly leads his charges (horns, guard & drums) through to the end as he victoriously stands atop his fallen dicatator!

THAT my friends was PURE, PURE EPIC! And, it started the moment Regiment changed their on-field entrance. The addition of the herallds in the opener, dead center on the 50, with a Junior Officer watching over the chained captor, then saluting Will upon the podium in the traditional Roman salute! And then the "production" starts and doesn't stop until 'Spartacus's body is covered by a death shroud in the center of the two sides of the corps proper.

If there EVER was a definitive moment when the whole essence of a drum corp show -- that ending, and the effect it had was mesmorizing! I will NEVER forget the FIRST time I saw that ending in rehearsal in Flemington NJ - and later that night in it's finished form in Allentown !!! It was spellbinding and something which raised the hairs on one's neck, escalated you're heartbeat, made you're blood run faster and despite the heat of a summer night --- gave one, i9ncluding me, goosebumps and chills! From the entrance onto the field, the heralds signaling the entrance and the "Emporer" being pushed onto the field by the captive slaves, to the Capes, red & purple that accentuated their uniforms, right down to the bronze/silver/gold sashes worn by horn/perc members set the tone for one of, if not THE most memorable Drum corps ending in DCI's history.

What moment do YOU think set the tone for PR's victory, and was it pure unadulterated love for this show and it's music and history that we as audience members and fans literally as a podcast noted "willed" Phantom regiment to win? The score is what predicts a Champion, and what was it and when in the season, did it become evident that THIS WAS "THE" SHOW!?

Thoughts?

I still think it was showing up at the gate on time on finals night. The penalty there would have killed them. Once on the field...the contest was there's. BD had peaked at QFs and Regiment beat Cavies semis night and then set their sites on the Concord bunch.

From the moment they took the field...game over.

I wrote the guy who did PR's journal in 2006 (Josh Scott?) right after San Antonio, having seen the corps in Rockford and San Antonio and told him to push through to the end. I said, "This show has that extra 'oomph,' but you started out behind--it will be something where you can pass BD finals week and passing Cavies will be a Finals night thing." I wasn't too far off.

Faust had that extra 'oomph.' If you don't know 'oomph,' you're not on the right thread/chat/web site. BOA might be for you.

Spartacus obviously had 'oomph.' Maybe it wasn't apparent until Allentown, and I never saw it live, but it was obvious by the reaction at the end of the show on the big screen that 'OOMPH' was in the big house!

General Effect. And Percussion. Phantom's percussion this year was to drum corps what Michael Phelps was in swimming--SMACKDOWN!! I mean, what else do you call a 0.4 win in drums at Allentown??? It's not like this was the first week and nobody "BIG" was to be seen. This was against the BEST.

But GE was definitely the reason for the trophy. Brass was good, guard was good enough, percussion may have been one of the finest ever. But that baby-throwing love the crowd was giving the corps is why they won. You can't buy that reaction, and you can't deny it a championship when the average reaction is a la Cadets last few productions.

Faust had it, and Machine simply beat it that one last time. Spartacus would not be denied in a very similar situation. Phantom doesn't beat #3 until championships week, then challenges for the title finals night. 1 for 2--not bad!

Two great shows. And one of the all-time greatest reactions in DCI history!

Well, I only saw the show once all season. I was in the stands finals night, the one and only night when Phantom came out first in the standings and beat every other corps, so I like to think that what made the difference was... well, me. :smile:

It may have been the two of us. My only show of the year as well. And also from Indiana. Go figure. :tongue:

I think it was scoring more points then everyone else but that's just me.

Wo wo wo, slow down there turbo. Don't just jump to a conclusion like that.....