THE defining thing that won Regiment a championship!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without reading the various posts, Phantom won (and they did win) for three reasons: impeccably cleaned drum line, an unmatched and enervating horn line, and total entertainment value. What good drum corps has always been, and Lord willing will be for years to come. Brah-voh.

Luck? No........ Judges have never given Regiment very much, and when they have, it was mid-season.

I started this thread, and have followed the responses closely and have always know that their BRASS has been impeccable --- the writting --- SENSATIONAL, and the pecussion, since 2005 has been awe-inspiring to regiment alum, phans and staff. When I watch various videos of PR's show from early season to QTR's via FN....one think is apparent, and yes -- it's the music! As many times as I've listened to this via APD and other video sources---- the music, remained the same from the start, unlike other seasons. As Regiment predicted and planned for, once a piece was selected/performed (in camps) it was changed/tweaked etc so what was put on the field in June was the accentuated, cleaned, refined version in all it's complete splendor and man, what a sound!

Regiment won on finals because each & every member performed to the max, they (the guard/horns/battery) KNEW the Audience was with them and part of this production 100% , plus, they played a set of great pieces, played impeccably, and masterfully written & aranged by JD Shaw. This was evident -- the design just kept building up until a week before finals and the additional revolt of the Tribune (DM) and the killing of Caesar (Emporer / DM - Will Pitts) just added that little "Something extra" that grabbed you, held you captive until that final note! We were part of it - whether sitting in the stands, a marching member of regiment, a staff member or just a Phan & supporter watching it on a video in or homes via PC. WE WANTED to be a part of "Spartacus". It was familiar, it was powerful, it was tragic, it was poingant and it was epic!

Agreed... perc 1st, BD - 5th, and with a slim a margin as .25, well, Ithink it was the TOTAL pacake as I watch it time & time again. It flowed, it was consistant and each piece (and scene) lent itself to the next almost seemlessly

Oh and BTW ---

The added murder didn't hurt either -- especialy HOW it was done and the music that coincided w/it.

THE END

A couple people have mentioned the crowd and altough it's not specifically on the sheets, here's where I think the connection with the crowd did matter:

Phantom didn't "jump" from 4th to 1st over the weekend, they crawled. Each night they beat the corps that immediately followed them, and only that corps -- Crown on Thurs, Cavies on Friday, and BD on Saturday. One factor that helped this, imo, was the proverbial "hard act to follow" effect. The crowd was drained after Phantom's show each night and the immediately subsequent corps' show seemed flat as the audience caught their breath, so to speak. We all know how corps and the crowd play off each other and sustain/encourage each other, so when the crowd is not there for you (not in a malicious way, but just in a worn out way), it's not unreasonable that a certain flatness or lack of pizazz might set in.

By no means am I implying any sort of purposeful "cheer conspiracy" by the crowd -- Crown was very well recieved on Fri, moreso than on Thurs when they followed PR. Cavies were better received on Thur and Sat than they were on Fri, etc. I just think that the Phantom show connected so well with the crowd and grew in anticipation and intensity from the pre-show to the very last note that the next corps had to deal with a bit of a cheer vacuum as the audience settled back in. How much did that actually affect the corps or their GE? How much actually related to points on the sheets? Hard to say, but when the top 4 corps were all seperated by such small margins, it all counts!!!

Regardless, I enjoyed all four shows immensely and I generally couldn't care less about how the judges assign points to what I view as terrific entertainment. Spartacus was my favorite show, so I guess I'm glad they won just so I got to see the show one more time in encore, but even if they didn't, my "point scale" rarely matches up with the judges' anyway, so it wouldn't change my opinion or enjoyment factor either way.

THE defining moment: the judges realizing the coliseum mob would turn on them and burn them at the stake if they didn't let Regiment win.

by our (the crowd's) response to bd coming in second, think how horrible it would've been if things hadn't gone that way.

LOL. j/k

in all honesty, i think it was a combination of everything working all at once. the music, the marching, the guard all putting on an amazing performance.

Simple answer to original question. The fans wanted it. The judges delivered.