RCA (1969-1978) Corps Standings

Glen gave me the idea and Ron for the scores:

Raw data so feel free to massage the stuffin' out of this. Format is corps name - location, average placement and (number of years at RCA Finals). RCA had max of 15 corps at their one and only Prelims and min of 7 the last year. And yeah, Phoenix threw off the curve :rolleyes: Edit: Well so much for making nice columns out of this. :tongue:

Phoenix - Rochester, NY 1 (1)

Royalaires - Guelph, Ont 2.1 (10)

Rockets - Pittsburgh, PA 2.5 (6)

Thunderbirds - Erie, PA 2.9 (8)

Westshoremen - Harrisburg, PA 3 (3)

Marching Ambassadors - Toronto, Ont 3 (1)

Commanders - Burlington, Ont 4 (2)

Brigadiers - Syracuse, NY 4 (1)

New Horizon - Nunda, NY 4 (1)

Minnesota Brass - Minn/St Paul, MN 5 (2)

CT Yankees - Stratford, CT 5 (1)

Kingsmen - Hamburg, NY 5.3 (3)

Sentinels - Emmaus, PA 5.7 (7)

Grenadiers - Kingston, Ont 5.7 (3)

Matadors - Providence, RI 6 (3)

Blue Eagles - Wind Gap, PA 6 (1)

Lancers - Hanover, PA 6.4 (9)

Diplomats - Johnsonburg, PA 6.6 (5)

Kawartha Kavaliers - Lindsey, Ont 7 (3)

Yardmen - Belleview, Ont 7 (1)

Grenadiers/Yardmen - Bell/Kings, Ont 7 (1)

White Sabers - Dansville, NY 7 (1)

Niagara Regionnaires - St Cath., Ont 7 (1)

Demons - Maumee, Oh 8 (1)

Gardner Guard - Altoona, PA 8 (1)

Patriots - Dunkirk, NY 8.8 (9)

Imperial Knights - Sudbury, Ont 8.8 (5)

Subarban Knights - Getzville, NY 9.3 (6)

Esquires - Westmoreland Co., PA 10 (2)

Freestatesmen - Cumberland, MD 11.2 (6)

Cavaliers - Verona, PA 11.5 (2)

White Roses - York, PA 11.5 (2)

Gardenstatesmen - Dover, NJ 12 (3)

Vigilantes - Versailles, PA 13 (1)

Gypsy Brass - Jamestown, NY 14 (1)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

wow, thanks for the memories Jim. I marched Erie in the early seventies. I was wondering why Guelph Royalairs beat us in RCA but not DCA. I'm not doubting this, just curious. They were our big rivals in those days, along with the Rockets (my fav). Another curiousity is that in RCA we handily beat the Matadors, they weren't clean in those days. At DCA's, a week later, they beat us by 10 points if my memory serves me correctly. You don't forget stuff like that, do you?

wow, thanks for the memories Jim. I marched Erie in the early seventies. I was wondering why Guelph Royalairs beat us in RCA but not DCA. I'm not doubting this, just curious. They were our big rivals in those days, along with the Rockets (my fav). Another curiousity is that in RCA we handily beat the Matadors, they weren't clean in those days. At DCA's, a week later, they beat us by 10 points if my memory serves me correctly. You don't forget stuff like that, do you?

few people likely remember the RCA/DCA discrepencies but some do...

numbers and spreads get so affected...

as commented elsewhere, the performances still echo down through the years

76, 77 Tbirds

very cool Jim

Oh yeah, RCA/DCA "differences"... now THAT's a discussion area :laugh: 1976 (my only RCA Championship) come to mind real easy. Can't remember the RCA show but we got beat but someone (J-burg or Hanover) and one of the newbies was all ticked off. One of the "vets" responded "Don't worry, next week is DCA where they ####### include execution". :smile:

Oh yeah, RCA/DCA "differences"... now THAT's a discussion area :tongue: 1976 (my only RCA Championship) come to mind real easy. Can't remember the RCA show but we got beat but someone (J-burg or Hanover) and one of the newbies was all ticked off. One of the "vets" responded "Don't worry, next week is DCA where they ####### include execution". :ph34r:
ok got me curious

08/28/1976 RCA

1 Erie Thunderbirds 85.890

2 Johnsonburg Diplomats 79.210

3 Westshoremen 77.630

4 Guelph Royalaires 76.960

5 Hanover Lancers 75.980

6 Hamburg Kingsmen 72.780

09/05/1976 DCA Prelims

10 Erie Thunderbirds 75.700

11 Westshoremen 68.250

12 Guelph Royalaires 66.800

13 Hanover Lancers 63.350

14 Dunkirk Patriots 60.150

15 Hamburg Kingsmen 59.500

16 Johnsonburg Diplomats 59.400

so Dips dropped 20 points from RCA to DCA, must've been very excited! Westshore lost by 2pts then won by 9pts over Dips. Tbirds -10, Dips -20, West -9, Guelph -10, Hanover -13, Kings -13 all told DCA liked Westshore more than RCA and Erie went from 10th to 8th in Finals as Phoenix & Matadors dropped.

ok got me curious

08/28/1976 RCA

1 Erie Thunderbirds 85.890

2 Johnsonburg Diplomats 79.210

3 Westshoremen 77.630

4 Guelph Royalaires 76.960

5 Hanover Lancers 75.980

6 Hamburg Kingsmen 72.780

8 Dunkirk Patriots 66.64 (my edit)

09/05/1976 DCA Prelims

10 Erie Thunderbirds 75.700

11 Westshoremen 68.250

12 Guelph Royalaires 66.800

13 Hanover Lancers 63.350

14 Dunkirk Patriots 60.150

15 Hamburg Kingsmen 59.500

16 Johnsonburg Diplomats 59.400

so Dips dropped 20 points from RCA to DCA, must've been very excited! Westshore lost by 2pts then won by 9pts over Dips. Tbirds -10, Dips -20, West -9, Guelph -10, Hanover -13, Kings -13 all told DCA liked Westshore more than RCA and Erie went from 10th to 8th in Finals as Phoenix & Matadors dropped.

Thanks, it was the 5 corps drop by J-burg that I couldn't quite remember the details. Other than Dunkirk and Hamburg swapping spots it's the only difference in order of finish. Have heard stories that Johnsonburg had too much control over RCA judging around this time but no exact details.

Hershmans long term goal for Westshore at the time was to regain full DCA membership so everything we did was geared for DCA judging. We did a bunch of RCA shows 75-77 but that was only when we weren't invited to a DCA show or the DCA show was too far away. IOW, we took whatever show netted more money for the corps after the bus bill was paid.

To answer Jeffs question they did use different sheets but don't think we ever were told the details. Long as the checks cleared and the judges gave us something useful to clean up (didn't always happen) Hershman was happy. Big difference I do remember is DCA was more exact with the execution tic sheet. IOW, you could get a good score at RCA and a crappy score at DCA for doing the same level of show. Random memory of someone yelling "It's a DCA show this weekend.... execute ######.. execute..."

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Glen gave me the idea and Ron for the scores:

Raw data so feel free to massage the stuffin' out of this. Format is corps name - location, average placement and (number of years at RCA Finals). RCA had max of 15 corps at their one and only Prelims and min of 7 the last year. And yeah, Phoenix threw off the curve :laugh: Edit: Well so much for making nice columns out of this. :smile:

Phoenix - Rochester, NY 1 (1)

Royalaires - Guelph, Ont 2.1 (10)

Rockets - Pittsburgh, PA 2.5 (6)

Thunderbirds - Erie, PA 2.9 (8)

Westshoremen - Harrisburg, PA 3 (3)

Marching Ambassadors - Toronto, Ont 3 (1)

Commanders - Burlington, Ont 4 (2)

Brigadiers - Syracuse, NY 4 (1)

New Horizon - Nunda, NY 4 (1)

Minnesota Brass - Minn/St Paul, MN 5 (2)

CT Yankees - Stratford, CT 5 (1)

Kingsmen - Hamburg, NY 5.3 (3)

Sentinels - Emmaus, PA 5.7 (7)

Grenadiers - Kingston, Ont 5.7 (3)

Matadors - Providence, RI 6 (3)

Blue Eagles - Wind Gap, PA 6 (1)

Lancers - Hanover, PA 6.4 (9)

Diplomats - Johnsonburg, PA 6.6 (5)

Kawartha Kavaliers - Lindsey, Ont 7 (3)

Yardmen - Belleview, Ont 7 (1)

Grenadiers/Yardmen - Bell/Kings, Ont 7 (1)

White Sabers - Dansville, NY 7 (1)

Niagara Regionnaires - St Cath., Ont 7 (1)

Demons - Maumee, Oh 8 (1)

Gardner Guard - Altoona, PA 8 (1)

Patriots - Dunkirk, NY 8.8 (9)

Imperial Knights - Sudbury, Ont 8.8 (5)

Subarban Knights - Getzville, NY 9.3 (6)

Esquires - Westmoreland Co., PA 10 (2)

Freestatesmen - Cumberland, MD 11.2 (6)

Cavaliers - Verona, PA 11.5 (2)

White Roses - York, PA 11.5 (2)

Gardenstatesmen - Dover, NJ 12 (3)

Vigilantes - Versailles, PA 13 (1)

Gypsy Brass - Jamestown, NY 14 (1)

So ... Jim ... looks like you have your invitee list all set for the RCA Reunion at GAS 2009 in Gettysburg!!!

:-)

So ... Jim ... looks like you have your invitee list all set for the RCA Reunion at GAS 2009 in Gettysburg!!!

LMOA.. kinda.... I didn't realize that GAS is scheduled for the same weekend as the Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA which is a big job for us. :smile: Will be (bus) riding by Gettysburg early Saturday AM on the way down and early evening on the way back. Will have to check the GAS schedule closer and figure what I can make.

Maybe I should ask a gypsy what the tempeture will be in Winchester that day..... :laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LMOA.. kinda.... I didn't realize that GAS is scheduled for the same weekend as the Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA which is a big job for us. :smile: Will be (bus) riding by Gettysburg early Saturday AM on the way down and early evening on the way back. Will have to check the GAS schedule closer and figure what I can make.

Maybe I should ask a gypsy what the tempeture will be in Winchester that day..... :laugh:

GAS weekend format is usually: Friday Night Beer Blast and impromptu singing ... Sat Afternoon I&E Talent Showcase ... Sat Evening Banquet and formal Chorus performances ... Sat Late Evening "after glow" ... Sun Morning Breakfast ...