1999!

dugg

To speak about Scholastic World: I feel there is a lot more competition. It use to be the same top 3 or top 5......that fluctuates now.....but more importantly 5-15 is a big difference, lots of competition happening now a days....I think the detail to staging ideas has changed a lot.....soundtracks have changed a lot....going back to the "Tricks" has been something that happened, thanks to Michael Shapiro, its not about doing the standard flag feature anymore, oh wait, it still is.....lol

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might there be a video somewhere of this "spooktacular" Shenendehoah program from 1999??

I can't think of 1999 and leave out Franklin Central - those girls spun SUPER fast!

Good question. There must be a video because they were finalists in the A class that year but I can't rememebr if it was IA or SA - there was something weird with Shen back then and they were Independent - I think - ?

What did Franklin Central do? I can't remember and don't have the SW video from back then but was in Dayton so remind me!

Jakespin - Franklin Central was in Scholastic A in 1999 and did "Festive Overture" by Shostakovich. VERY energetic show.

Shen must be on the IA video.. I'll have to look.

I'm glad you cleared that up. I was wondering too if that was the year Franklin Central did their Shostakovich show. I remember loving that show. I don't have it on video either, and was trying to backtrack in my mind. They had that stage-like thing set up on the back of the floor. Great show!

I think the biggest change in the last 10 years has been with the level of professionalism displayed by the top World Class members.

Going "all age" in 2000 certainly helped to spearhead this. How many of us were truly at our peak performance levels when we were 21? Being able to continue to grow and perform well into our 20's, 30's and even 40's has helped create detailed performances that keep evolving year after year.

Later,

Mike

great observation mike,i am in awe of what the top world guard's are acheiving.it might be interesting to know the number of performers ove the age of 21 in the current ind world guard arena.

Edited by dugg

From what I have heard and the number of performers over the age of 21 is a lot less than what people think.

While thinking of 1999 - how about Diamond Bar's American Variations program?? A very fun treatment and the ladies did a GREAT job (7th place I believe). It's neat to see that show and then watch their more recent programs. VERY talented students!

From what I have heard and the number of performers over the age of 21 is a lot less than what people think.

after some investigation i learned that wgi has found that less than 1% of of the 11,000 young participants in the world championships are over the age of 22.

Edited by dugg