Is Florida a Corps Killer?

1.) Whoever runs the organizations kills the drum corps.

2.) As a whole, I see Florida with a lot of potential. It just depends on who finds the right way to tap into it.

Right on. Any place with as many potential members as TX and FL is prime. And any incompetent boob can bankrupt an organization...doesn't have to be a corps or in Florida.

I also think that FL has the most members marching at other corps. Every corps has a few members from FL in it.

Try again. Betcha Texas doubles up Florida. Texas leads membership in Phantom, and I think in Cavies as well. Not bashing you or anyone else, but Cavies, BD, Crown and a few others have audition camps in Texas. I honestly don't know how many corps have camps in Florida. Anybody know? Honest question.

Florida is pretty nice in June, btw. My first three DC performances were in Clearwater, Melbourne and Daytona Beach. Coastal areas in June were pretty nice.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...The Teal Sound, Inc. has just recently introduced an indoor percussion line, Riptide, that will compete in the FFCC and at the Orlando WGI Regional this year too.

Riptide was the name of an indoor line from Jersey/Philly a few years ago. I remember seeing them compete in Milwaukee at WGI. Is this a resurrection of the same group?

^ Tell me that in January when I'm still wearing shorts :P

you might be on to something...the drum corps travels to cooler contests in summer...kinda like Ontario and Quebec travel south in winter but reversed, might be a promotional thing? just thinking

and don't forget FutureCorps (Disney World)!

THANK YOU. I was waiting for someone to mention FutureCorps

They were already "gone" when that happened.

Don't forget Kiwanis Kavaliers. They moved there and got their equipment stolen and have yet to come back from that.

The junior corps meltdown hit NY more than any other state. Back in DCI's first season of 1972, NY had 64 junior corps that made it to the field (the most by any state or province for any single year during the DCI era). The last two years NY had ZERO junior corps make it to the field.

I remember those days. It was the same thing in Connecticut. Almost every other town had a corps. You could hardly throw a rock without hitting one. With the benefit of hindsight, I think most of them folded because they were more concentrated on their local circuits and were late getting into DCI. In other words the train left the station without them. I don't see Florida as a bad location for a corps. I know that many folks mention the summer heat and humidity, but it can get that way up north at times too. Besides, most DCI corps are rarely home during the season anyway. Just my 2 cents on the dollar. :inlove:

Well they did elect George Bush so.....

So....... what?