Is Florida a Corps Killer?

As far as I know there have been three drum & bugle corps based in the state of Florida (please correct me if I'm wrong): Magic, Suncoast Sound, and Teal Sound. Both Magic and Suncoast ended up folding, both due to financial and administrative difficulties. Teal Sound is now actually based mostly in Georgia, so they're probably safe from any curse or whatnot, but you never know.

The question has been posed: Is Florida bad luck for a corps? If so, maybe that's why Teal moved...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate your concern. A greater arguement could be made that Illinois is a drum corps killer. However...no I dont think Florida is a corps killer.

What is a corps killer is money and or lack of it. And all the other.

I was shocked and saddened when I had heard Suncoast folded.

I can tell you florida almost killed me when we were there last year....

Sand fields, 3465345% humidity, a giant swap behind our field that looked like an alligator was going to come out of any minute, RAIN, and 105 degree heat

worst rehearsal of the year....at least we stayed at a hotel

the OP forgot Florida Vanguard and Florida Wave, both very good corps which also no longer exist.

Besides the corps already mentioned, these Florida junior corps have also been active at one time or another during the DCI era:

North Port Alliance--Venice (still active)

Florida Air Academy---Melbourne (still active)

Brassmen---Fort Myers/Cape Coral

Buccaneers---Cape Coral

Devil Dogs---Clearwater

Florida Guardsmen---Fort Myers/Cape Coral

Floridians---Miami

Gladesmen---Miami

Indian Raiders---Baldwin

Le Sabres---Fort Lauderdale

Leathernecks---Orlando

Royal Lancers---Cape Coral

Silhouettes---Cape Coral

Silver Knights---Cutler Ridge/Perrine

Southern Star---Fort Myers/Cape Coral

Stylistics---Dunedin

Suncoast Sound Cadets---Tampa Bay

Synergy Sound---Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Thunder---Tampa Bay

Teal Sound Cadets---Jacksonville

Edited by Northern Thunder

As far as I know there have been three drum & bugle corps based in the state of Florida (please correct me if I'm wrong): Magic, Suncoast Sound, and Teal Sound. Both Magic and Suncoast ended up folding, both due to financial and administrative difficulties. Teal Sound is now actually based mostly in Georgia, so they're probably safe from any curse or whatnot, but you never know.

The question has been posed: Is Florida bad luck for a corps? If so, maybe that's why Teal moved...

This post it to correct the OP comments about where Teal is actually located.

The winter home rehearsal base for Teal is just outside of the Jacksonville, FL area in Clay County at Middleburg High School. We have had the good fortune of being hosted by the school and the band director, Mr. John Wilkerson, for the past 2 seasons and this will continue as our home base for the 2009 season as well. However, we do cover the Florida and Georgia regions as the corps office is located in Thomasville, GA and our spring training home is located in the same town at Thomasville High School. Approximately 65% of our membership also comes from Florida and Georgia, which is why we are holding an audition day in the Atlanta, GA area on December 7th this season. The Teal Sound, Inc. has just recently introduced an indoor percussion line, Riptide, that will compete in the FFCC and at the Orlando WGI Regional this year too. This program will be located along the I-75, Ocala, FL corridor over to Daytona Beach, FL. Find out more information about this new group at www.tealsound.org/ensembles.

We are not concerned by the Florida jinx, as some would call it, but are proving that the state of Florida can and will have a top ranked Drum Corps and other marching arts activities over the next several years and into the future.