What is your favorite "under-rated" show?

ajlemm

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom 2003 is one of the most overrated shows IMO.

If the measuring stick is about how much people talk about it, I agree.

However, I LOVE that show. I listen to that show almost every day. It is the most inspiring and emotional shows ever in my opinion. So if that makes it overrated, so be it. LOVE IT!

Personal request, but many other would appreciate this if others obliged.

I have a list on my computer of all the finalist shows and I've got all the program book stuff I've written, so I can easily look these things up. Still, after many years of drum corps, years blend together, but show titles and repertoires instantly bring recognition.

My request is: Please, don't just list a corps and a year. List the corps and the year and include the show title and (if possible) the repertoire. That way, more people will know what shows are being discussed.

I agree, Michael. It really does help.

SCV 1980
1980- Santa Clara Vanguard- Asymetrical drill in 1980 WTF!

Thanks guys for the thumbs up! :laughing:

If the measuring stick is about how much people talk about it, I agree.

However, I LOVE that show. I listen to that show almost every day. It is the most inspiring and emotional shows ever in my opinion. So if that makes it overrated, so be it. LOVE IT!

I remember Harmonic Journey ("Canon in D," "Wild Night"s (from "Harmonium"), "The Lord's Prayer" (from "King of Kings") and "Ostinato" (frmo "Mikrokosmos") being very much discussed on this board in 2003.

I thought it was an incredible show to listen to AND watch. I absolutely lived that season for seeing the drum wedge cleave through and scatter the horns in the opener. This was Phantom's first really intensive use of body sculpturing. The opening "Canon in D" strains, gently wafting across the field, to come back at the very end of the show in a forceful, surging manner, was brilliant in its pacing.

2002 - Phantom Regiment

Heroic Sketches: The Passion of Shostakovich - Tenth Symphony, Second Movement * Piano Concerto No. 2, Second Movement * Piano Concerto No. 2, First Movement * Seventh Symphony, Fourth Movement

2002 - Glassmen (I just like this one every time)

Odyssey - Javelin * Millennium Symphony

1992 - Madison Scouts

City of Angels - Prologue and Theme (from City of Angels) * L.A. Blues (From City of Angels) * You Gotta Look Out for Yourself (from City of Angels) * With Every Breath I Take (from City of Angels) Amazon * Funny (from City of Angels)

1995 - Phantom Regiment

Adventures Under a Darkened Sky - Symphonic Dances * Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (variation 18) * Piano Concerto No. 2 * Capriccio Bohemian

2003 - Spirit

TIME - Time After Time * Time in a Bottle * Auld Lang Syne Amazon * Somewhere in Time * Whirr, Whirr, Whirr * October * Let It Be Me * Nutville * No Jive * Appalachian Morning

2004 - SCV (Often overlooked IMO)

Attraction: The Music of Scheherazade - Sheherazade

1996 and 1998 Madison Scouts. 1999 will always be my favorite, but these two shows are my next two. I listened to 98 Madison's closer before every show from 2004-2007. It's my hype show.

I remember Harmonic Journey ("Canon in D," "Wild Night"s (from "Harmonium"), "The Lord's Prayer" (from "King of Kings") and "Ostinato" (frmo "Mikrokosmos") being very much discussed on this board in 2003.

I thought it was an incredible show to listen to AND watch. I absolutely lived that season for seeing the drum wedge cleave through and scatter the horns in the opener. This was Phantom's first really intensive use of body sculpturing. The opening "Canon in D" strains, gently wafting across the field, to come back at the very end of the show in a forceful, surging manner, was brilliant in its pacing.

actually going against my earlier comments, it wasn't that horrible of a show, i thought the design was well, and performers did a great job with it, however, the finals night recording, which is the only one i've seen, i just remember it not being a good night for the guard, and it distracts me a bit.

It is not an over-rated show, it is an amazing emotional show that will always be a drum corps favorite. One of the most emotional shows in history.

Phantom 2003 is one of the most overrated shows IMO.

I agree... and I loved that show that season. But it's not as good as it's often made out to be on these forums.

For under-rated:

BK 2003 (pity I never got to see them live, we always performed within one or two slots of eachother that season)

Cavaliers 1997

Santa Clara Vanguard 1998

Blue Devils 2000

Cadets 2004