Knees

Marching is hard on your body.

Which technique is the least killer on your knees?

This is a major concern for me, having gone through a number of knee surgeries.

I was looking at BD, but that striaght leg jazz running scares me!

and feed back? and what corps practice what style?

Uh...you march Krause Anderson. I'm pretty sure you can handle anything :withstupid::worthy:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid BK if you have bad knees. The style alone is rough on the knees but there is a lot of other demanding body work that grinds on your knees like high mark time, lots of fast squat movements etc. Plus if you don't do the style correctly you would probably hurt yourself within the first week or so.

with that go with a straight leg or "glide" step corps.

I thought BK's 'prance' would be easier on the knee!

There discrepancy between the different Striaght Leg tech is a bit annoying. At Southwind it was more a Striaght on the down beat style, at VK it was described as Lock knee, anything but.

Has Vanguard adopted Bicycle?

[touchè on the KA comment thatonekid]

I'm sorry but I can't stand it when people refer to BK's style as a "prance" Yeah they do lots of body work but the basic step doesn't involve skipping of any kind.

I thought the style was hard due to so much movement in the legs from bent to straight to bent to straight at quick tempos. There were some over extensions sometimes which can tweak the muscles.

I never had a problem with my knees until this summer and I've been marching straight leg in every group I've been in since high school. Straight leg isn't so bad until your drill gets really tough. My knees popped all the time and hurt from about the third week in until I got home, but they still hurt sometimes in the mornings. What has really helped me is glucosamine condroitin supplements.

I have the knee popping problem too. However, I think it's because of inconsistent/changing tecniques. In high school we used "straight leg" which meant it was straight during camp and sort of straight the rest of the season. When I thought I was going to be marching corps, I had to adopt the true straight leg technique then I went to a more relaxed leg here at UT, which also includes a higher mark time than I had ever done. Now my knees pop all the time and I think that it's marching just starting to take its toll.

I have the knee popping problem too. However, I think it's because of inconsistent/changing tecniques. In high school we used "straight leg" which meant it was straight during camp and sort of straight the rest of the season. When I thought I was going to be marching corps, I had to adopt the true straight leg technique then I went to a more relaxed leg here at UT, which also includes a higher mark time than I had ever done. Now my knees pop all the time and I think that it's marching just starting to take its toll.

my college band is straight leg on the downbeat.. and all 200 wind players interpret that different.. it looks so bad.. and like we march somewhat challenging drill (i marched a competitive div 1 corps, on the outside of pretty much every form :thumbup: so i know challenging drill) (actually its kinda fun) but besides the point... it actually hurts more to try and bend my knees after this summer... so i just show everyone up and have scissor legs... however.. i think its going to create more damage in the long run...

basically... the marching arts are not nice to the body... rougher than a lot of sports IMO, having played many sports throughout my life.

• 5 months later...

Empire Statesmen 97 had bicycle like.

Cadets nowaday dont have knees at all, they walk as if they have long peg legs

I have never seen a corps use the "scissor legs" and look/sound good. The Cadets seem to have gone to a straight leg that is not so harsh, and consequently they don't bounce nearly as much. Absolute straight leg is pretty stupid and you will end up hurting yourself more.

However, almost every corps out there uses straight leg. Most of them don't incorporate any type of scissor like motion. These corps are your best bet. We naturally have a slight bend in our knee, one that we don't control. Trying to control that and normally with a larger bend, could prove to be troublesome if you already have knee problems. Also, stay away from corps that use choreography often.