Knees

Preferences aside, I think it would be very difficult to claim that anyone moves "better" than the Cavaliers. Their style seems to be gaining favor as drill becomes more difficult and demanding because it is the easiest way to keep continuity and prevent level changes during direction changes and such. The starts and stops are what make groups look sloppy, and they way they move minimizes that.

You could say they were at the head of the "drill revolution" in the early 2000's (Niagara Falls anyone?) and I feel like they were able to do what they did (and continue to do) at those tempos because of their technique.

Anyone who says BK's technique is rough on the knees, I would have to disagree. Abe and Co. do a really good job of making sure the movement is not harming you. The high mark times are simply effects used during the show, not something that is a staple throughout rehearsal by any means.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preferences aside, I think it would be very difficult to claim that anyone moves "better" than the Cavaliers. Their style seems to be gaining favor as drill becomes more difficult and demanding because it is the easiest way to keep continuity and prevent level changes during direction changes and such.

I'm sorry, but no. Not trying to be a bugger, but I want to point out to you that the Cavaliers probably show the most changes in 'level', to use your term, of any corps I can think of off the top of my head.

Watch them from the side and on the field, if you ever have the chance.

I'm sorry, but no. Not trying to be a bugger, but I want to point out to you that the Cavaliers probably show the most changes in 'level', to use your term, of any corps I can think of off the top of my head.

Watch them from the side and on the field, if you ever have the chance.

Agreed. If I remember correctly, on the forward to backward technique don't they specifically want to see a lift?

Preferences aside, I think it would be very difficult to claim that anyone moves "better" than the Cavaliers. Their style seems to be gaining favor as drill becomes more difficult and demanding because it is the easiest way to keep continuity and prevent level changes during direction changes and such. The starts and stops are what make groups look sloppy, and they way they move minimizes that.

lol, I guess I'll have to check my dvds again, somehow i remember something different.

As far as the original topic, I think you'll be fine wherever you go if you work on personal fitness and get your body weight in a comfortable range for your joints and muscles to do what they're gonna do all summer. Thats probably the easiest way to prevent any injuries going into the summer, but again thats just from personal experience.

Agreed. If I remember correctly, on the forward to backward technique don't they specifically want to see a lift?

Not the way I understand it. The corps that want to see a lift are the ones who march backwards on relevé (straight leg on tip-toe), Phantom and Colts being two that I'm aware of. The Cavies style is designed to keep everything above the waist level and smooth, "like ducks on water" being the end goal