Knees

Marching is hard on your body.

Which technique is the least killer on your knees?

This is a major concern for me, having gone through a number of knee surgeries.

I was looking at BD, but that striaght leg jazz running scares me!

and feed back? and what corps practice what style?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, a proper bicycle (or similar) marching technique would probably be the least damaging to your knees.

Legs are meant to bend, and straight leg doesn't allow for it (not that it doesn't happen)

But it does seem like you've had your share of marching experience, most likely with straight leg. Though, I think you should be fine as long as you take care of yourself. There's always potential to hurt yourself...

If you have fan network, I really suggest taking a look at videos of the last couple years of any corps you might be interested in. The multi-cam really gives you a glimpse into their technique styles which should definitely help you a bit. Maybe even see an orthopod and show him/her clips of the marching styles of the corps you are interested in, and get a professional opinion...

I never had a problem with my knees until this summer and I've been marching straight leg in every group I've been in since high school. Straight leg isn't so bad until your drill gets really tough. My knees popped all the time and hurt from about the third week in until I got home, but they still hurt sometimes in the mornings. What has really helped me is glucosamine condroitin supplements.

Edited by Jofus

I would argue that the most comfortable technique for you would be the technique that most imitates your natural walk. Humans are creatures of comfort- you won't naturally walk in a way that will hurt you.

As far as jazz running... yeah it kinda sucks, but you definitely get used to it. If you are sure to stretch and get your body in shape, you should be able to avoid injury.

If it is any consolation, I didn't have problems when I marched, but I had more issues with my college marching band- granted we didn't stretchc at all, but you get the idea.

straight leg in more painful, but looks the best. I love the straight leg jazz run/prance, its really hard to master, but looks so much better than that popcorn stuff. But the straight leg jazz run is actually a bit more comfortable, the hard part is stopping in minus one though...kills my knees. Marching no matter what is gonna kill you knees.