Drum Instructors, Which Corps poduces the most

Blackstar

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't counted, but my guess would be BD.

I don't know about the most but the 72 Kingsmen had a couple of guys named Tom and Ralph that certainly influenced quite a few drummers over the years.

Jim Ancona - Cadets

Lee Beddis - Cadets

Tom Aungst- Cadets

Tom Rarick - Cadets

Bret Kuhn - Cavaliers

Scott Johnson - Blue Devils

Tim Jackson - Blue Devils

Roger Carter - Blue Devils

Mike Jackson - Blue Knights

Murray Gusseck - Santa Clara Vanguard

Jim Cassella - Santa Clara Vanguard

Paul Rennick - 27 Lancers

those are just the head guys that I could think of off the top of my head. but tech staff wise I would say cavaliers also have a pretty high number.

Is this a contest? or just an observation?

:thumbup:

... and if you want to talk about the old days, the Dumont Police Cadets turned out a few as well.

i just think it's pretty interesting information.

could be inspiring for the youth.

jim cassella was a bass drummer and actually once a bass tech for BD.

Jim ancona is one of the few caption heads that is actually a pit guy.

well, that's kind of the way it's been throughout drum corps history I think. Not just todays "big name" instructors, but Fred Sandford, Tom Float, Ralph Hardimon, Chris Theo, Jim Campbell, Dennis DeLucia, Dave Vose (sp?), and many countless other great percussion instructors came out of great and even not-so-great drum corps drum lines to go on and be very influential and instrumental in producing some fantastic drummers.

A "big name" instructor may attract a lot of talented kids to a corps, but with no intended disrespect meant to any of the current "big names" we have out there instructing the best drumlines right now... a big name guy doesn't make a drumline great alone, it's the components he or she has to work with as a whole from techs and assistants to the players themselves that make a great line.

No one person alone turns a bunch of rag tag players into a monster line in one year... it takes a huge cooperative effort driven by someone who knows how to take the hopeful end product to it's destination.

Even the top names popular right now started somewhere as a "woodblock tuner and head tensioner" guy... :thumbup:

Edited by GGarrett