Drum Instructors, Which Corps poduces the most

Blackstar

Well we all know about Dennis DeLucia, that's common knowledge. Who else?

Carl Rocco?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are always techs who are never represented in these " best instructor " threads. Techs are the ones who are there all winter and all summer even during marching rehearsal.

There are and have been many many techs who were great leaders, team players and listened to all instruction even from other " sub " section techs and learned a lot when they marched.

Many of them today are great educators in drum corps, high school programs, colleges, private lesson instructors,etc.

When caption heads surround themselves with people like this and write great books, actual needed exercises and uses the input of those techs; That's what makes them " great " caption heads.

Carl Rocco?

Having marched with and been inspired by Carl, he is a very close friend of mine. I look at him more along the lines of a coordinator than instructor.

Having marched with and been inspired by Carl, he is a very close friend of mine. I look at him more along the lines of a coordinator than instructor.

well he sure inspired that 1982 Bridgemen tenor line to play well. If anyone has here never listened to that drum solo or that tenor lick from Bridgemen 1982... have a listen. One of the cleanest tenor drum lines ever. :sleeping:

well he sure inspired that 1982 Bridgemen tenor line to play well. If anyone has here never listened to that drum solo or that tenor lick from Bridgemen 1982... have a listen. One of the cleanest tenor drum lines ever. :sleeping:

But the real question is, did Carl really march in the Dumont Police Cadets? Let's not get off topic, guys!

all in good fun,

Fred O.

• 2 weeks later...

Rudy Gowern -Boston Crusaders former caption head Magic, BAC

Omar Carmenates -Boston Crusaders current caption head BAC

Colin McNutt -Boston Crusaders caption head Magic, Scouts, Cadets

Brian Tinkle -Boston Crusaders former caption head Crown

Nick Angelius -Boston Crusaders former caption head Troopers, BK

Not saying we have the most, just saying there is a good share of the BAC guys out there.

Well we all know about Dennis DeLucia, that's common knowledge. Who else?

"Instructor School":

Going back before Dumont's DeLucia, we have the very old Stratford Connecticut Yankees seniors, who turned out such standouts as Frank Arsenault, (Who revolutionized rudimental drumming for the Mid West turning out National Champions such as the Skokie Indians and Chicago Cavaliers), Earl Sturtze, Bill Redican, Joe Gaudet Sr., Al Merritt, and the one and only Earl Sturtze.

Elphaba

"Instructor School":

Going back before Dumont's DeLucia, we have the very old Stratford Connecticut Yankees seniors, who turned out such standouts as Frank Arsenault, (Who revolutionized rudimental drumming for the Mid West turning out National Champions such as the Skokie Indians and Chicago Cavaliers), Earl Sturtze, Bill Redican, Joe Gaudet Sr., Al Merritt, and the one and only Earl Sturtze.

Elphaba

Yeah, respect to those guys, for sure. They're definitely among the grand old men of the art form.

Fred O.

I had the pleasure of working with Carl during the 82 season as a member of the Defenders snare line. I haven't seen him in several years and would love get in touch with him. Is there a chance you would be willing share his contact information?

I think if you look at the 73 and 74 Kingsmen and all the evil step-child instructors they spawned, you could trace back a very healthy chunk of all the top instructors today to those two lines.

Also, a lot of the drummers from Canada were taught by guys who marched in the Optimists late 60s - early 70s - who learned from Ron Kaiser.

Regards,

John