What Do Kids Buy While On Tour?

With kids being on tour from Memorial Day to August 8, I'm curious: What do they buy all summer?

Obviously the corps' feed them. What other food do the kids buy?

Do they buy any additional clothing?

I presume they run through basic shower/bathroom needs. How often do they have to supplement?

How much do they usually end up spending?

I've got a boy and a girl gearing up for World Class this year. I'd love to get some info from those that have done it already.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get each of them a Visa Buxx card... works like a credit card, but is authorized, funded and monitored by the parents. You can see what they've been spending and what the balance is, as well as add additional funds to the card from your computer. Keeps the guesswork out of how much to send them on tour with. Funding can take up to 3 days or so to be available for them to use, so make sure to monitor and add funds before they get too low.

Food: Free days, bus snacks, sometimes other meals and snacks when there's something close by and they don't want to eat what's on the food truck.

Clothing: They may buy an item or two for free days as they lose weight on tour. Don't overpack for free days - there aren't many. Pack plenty of socks and undies.

Bathroom stuff: Will need to replenish at least once, depending on size of products they buy. May need to replace electric razors, iPod headphones, and other small items as well.

Medical: If they get sick or injured, they will need to pay for an office visit to an urgent care center, and possibly a prescription as well.

Plan on at least $200-$300 per child.

I remember losing bathroom supplies but replaced them fairly quickly within a day or two. Usually show sites are located near a convenience store so you can stock up on stuff. Don't be surprised if stuff is stolen. Random people use the schools besides the corps so things tend to disapear so woudln't bring too many valuables. Avoid carrying cash, use plastic like stated before.

Buying clothes happens. I usually bought corps clothing at the souvie trailers.

Meals are paid for by dues. But if you want extra stuff you buy on your own. If kids are allowed off the bus during fuel stops then they can buy stuff at gas stops. Again you can stock up on supplies there as well. Most people keep a "bus box" under their seat. Just a small cardboard or plastic box to keep things in. Mine was stocked full of snacks and an gatorade. (I really needed the calories to keep going.)

I would say $200 is a reasonable amount to expect on "extras". If you child is smart they won't need to spend much more than that.

Regarding the essentials - shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Some corps (including a couple I've driven for over the years) will take the members to a 24-hour Wal-Mart after a show every 10 days or so and give the corps an hour to shop for essentials. You've not lived until you've seen 135 kids (now 150) storm a super store at midnight.

If I did my math right, I spent $472.28 this summer. That's a lot. Most of it was spent on WalMart runs. I think the most spending came from my first WalMart run, because I had lost so much weight during all-days that I had to buy a bunch of new shirts, along with underarmor shirts. Aside from that, I'd say most of it is either spent on free days, or at souvie booths.

hmm what do kids buy ? hmm from my experience it's gatorade, toiletries, gatorade, bus snacks and more gatorade. oh yea and beef jerky

snacks, free day meals, corps souvies, snacks.

I spent around $200 this summer, and around $300 last summer.

I would say expect something in that range.