Can a band director keep you from being in CG?

Margie

At my school only band students can be in CG. There are no rules. Anybody can try out for guard. Even tho he let me try out and I've made the team (twice) the band director won't let me because of the instrument I play. He says he needs me to play during marching season. Without rules, is he allowed to keep me from being in guard?

I'd like to hear from color guard instructors or band directors about how you handle these situations.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most schools I have taught the band director has the final say on any decision regarding the guard. You have to remember that the guard is a section of the band and not its own entity.

In most schools I have taught the band director has the final say on any decision regarding the guard. You have to remember that the guard is a section of the band and not its own entity.

Can he keep me from guard and let another person who plays the same insturment be drum major?

Edited by Margie

At my school only band students can be in CG. There are no rules. Anybody can try out for guard. Even tho he let me try out and I've made the team (twice) the band director won't let me because of the instrument I play. He says he needs me to play during marching season. Without rules, is he allowed to keep me from being in guard?

I'd like to hear from color guard instructors or band directors about how you handle these situations.

Thanks

Tell him that, if that's the case, you'll just have to sit it out. If he calls your bluff, bring your parents in.

No teacher should have the right to discourage you from following an area that's of interest to you, the teacher's are there to serve your educational needs and interests, not the other way around.

Sounds like you need a sit down with the BD, the principal, and you and your parents. Ask specifically why you can't be in CG when the argument seems arbitrarily applied (since the DM plays the same instrument).

While the BD always has the final say, it seems to me someone is a bit lost in their role. The BD is still a TEACHER and supposed to encourage students to follow the pursuit of their dreams. I've never met a BD who prevents a student from being in CG if he/she makes the team based on the process to audition.

I'm guessing that your school doesn't have an indoor colorguard (also called winterguard) program? If it does, you might look into the winterguard. If it doesn't, then you might look into Independent Winterguards in your area. You can find some by looking at WGI.org website.

I had to play in the marching band when I was still in HS, but I did winterguard and enjoyed it a lot. However, I think you should at least discuss the option with your band director and see if he's willing to make some concessions or work something out with you that allows you to do guard (maybe in parades or during a winter concert or something?)...if not, then you'll probably need to ask your parents for some guidance.

Good luck!

I am a Guard Director. My husband is the Band Director. For the same school.

In our band, anyone can try out for guard, not just band members. While I understand that those who play instruments have a better understanding of music, It seems counterproductive to have a rule that states that only band members can try out for guard. Because it is just asking for a situation like yours. (and limiting your pool of applicants from the school) But, I'm not trying to undermine your director's rules.

There are currently 5 band members in the guard right now (of 21). They tried out and made guard even before my husband knew they played an instrument. my husband has commented that he would love to have one of the girls in the marching band, she plays well. The others are so/so and he's not so needy of them to play their instruments. The girl who plays well just may be asked to play her horn next year because we will be graduating quite a few and will be low. I am fine with that. While I would miss her on the field with a flag, playing an instrument is just as important to marching band!

However, we do competitive winter guard, and she will be included in that. I have had students that play their instrument for marching band, and then join us for winter guard. In fact, currently, there are 2 students who are marching their instruments and will join us for winter guard. A flute and a Saxophone.

In the case of Drum Majors, a lot goes into the selection of our drum majors, and since it is an important job, ability to direct and keep time and be musical is vital. It could be that she was the best candidate for that, and therefore got the job. There have been times where my husband has had to tell a DM applicant that they are needed in their instrument section due to the numbers or ability there. It could be that Katie got the DM position, even though she is a very good clarinet player, but Margie is there in that section and plays very well too, so it's ok for Katie to be DM. But, Margie can't do Color Guard because she's the best clarinet and she's needed to play the first part. The color guard will be fine without her, but the clarinet section will be severely disabled if she wasn't there.

My best advice is to discuss this with your band director, have your parents around, and talk about it. Don't get argumentative, don't get an attitude. It will make it worse. Try to understand his rules a bit better, and get an explanation.

Then remember that he is the band director, and you need to have respect for his decision, even if you don't agree with it.

Then remember that he is the band director, and you need to have respect for his decision, even if you don't agree with it.

Bollocks. He's a paid civil servant who is there to provide educational opportunities to encourage and develop a kid's talents, abilities and interests. If the band director is some dictatorial martinet who is strictly interested in his/her own interests, then it is entirely appropriate for parents to question/challenge that decision, up to the school board level if need be. Hopefully it would never have to get that far.

The band director needs to make decisions that are good for the ensemble as a whole. Sometimes those decisions do not make everyone happy.

Even as a guard director we go through this when deciding weapon lines, soloists or small group features. You cannot always please everyone and someone always disagrees with your decision.

Bollocks. He's a paid civil servant who is there to provide educational opportunities to encourage and develop a kid's talents, abilities and interests. If the band director is some dictatorial martinet who is strictly interested in his/her own interests, then it is entirely appropriate for parents to question/challenge that decision, up to the school board level if need be. Hopefully it would never have to get that far.

Well, Band is a team activity. When you play in a band, whether it be marching, jazz, pep, concert, etc, each instrumentalist plays a part in the OVERALL sound of the group. If the Director needs certain instrumentation, or needs certain people to play certain parts due to their ability, he should be able to make that call. Just like if a Football coach needs a kid to play quarterback vs tight end. That kid may have better abilities to do one position over the other, even if they DESIRE to play the opposite spot. If the coach said "hey, I need Johnny to play quarterback because he has a great throwing arm, and there are others who can play the tight end position just as well as he can too" would you fight that?

It's not about the personal interests of the Director, it's what is BEST FOR THE GROUP. There are many factors that we probably don't know here.

I think you have something against teachers, due to how you responded to me in your post. Calm down! Many of us have interests that conflict with each other, and a decision has to be made in what to do. Many times, that decision is made for us. I am not going to question the logistics of requiring the guard members to be band students, because to me, that seems that it will encourage these problems to occur.

Yes, a teacher is supposed to teach, to help each student develop their full potential. maybe it could be suggested that this student do both during the show. . . to dress in the guard wear, and play her instrument for part of the show, and join the guard for the other part? Many schools do this. It could be a solution for a student who wants to do both.