Can a band director keep you from being in CG?

Margie

Tell him that, if that's the case, you'll just have to sit it out. If he calls your bluff, bring your parents in.

If a kid came to me with that threat, I'd show him/here where the door is, and make sure it doesn't hit them on the way out. There's a right way to do things, and a wrong way...and believe me, that is the wrong way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have something against teachers, due to how you responded to me in your post.

No, nothing against teachers. Hold them in quite high regard, actually ... Unless they don't realize they are in a service occupation and refuse to recognize who their customer is.

No, nothing against teachers. Hold them in quite high regard, actually ... Unless they don't realize they are in a service occupation and refuse to recognize who their customer is.

I fail to see how students are customers. They are in school to learn. They are not buying a product.

You hold them in high regard, yet you don't have respect for their decisions? It's not fair for you to present assumptions that this director is being selfish, when he/she is not here to discuss their reasons for making that decision.

I fail to see how students are customers. They are in school to learn. They are not buying a product.

You hold them in high regard, yet you don't have respect for their decisions? It's not fair for you to present assumptions that this director is being selfish, when he/she is not here to discuss their reasons for making that decision.

:bla:

Wrong ... They are buying an education paid for in their parents (and mine, in the case of Federal subsidies, where applicable) tax dollars. Teachers are providing a service. Plain and simple.

Your commentary, however, does indicate you don't have the proper orientation towards the role, or correct awareness of who the role serves. That's not my fault.

This is not a case of someone suggesting to little Jimmie or Janie that their embouchure isn't really good for the trumpet, and maybe they should try low brass, this is denying a stated interest in a particular direction of expression which, IMO (and, again, it's just IMO), is just not right, and is an inappropriate use of discretionary authority by the teacher.

As for the Director in question, I'm just replying to the facts, as stated, by the OP. It's my opinion and fair has nothing to do with it.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

:bla:

Wrong ... They are buying an education paid for in their parents (and mine, in the case of Federal subsidies, where applicable) tax dollars. Teachers are providing a service. Plain and simple.

Your emoticon proves to me what my gut thinks about your personality.

I"m also going to believe that if you see flashing lights in your rear view mirror, you ignore them too, or at least try to prove them wrong because after all, you are right. (you paid for the road, so you should be able to drive how ever you want to. .. But, there are rules to using that road you paid for) Because the police are servants too. And the product you would receive from those flashing lights is not the product you want.

Your emoticon proves to me what my gut thinks about your personality.

No good can come from trying to discuss this further. Your rhetoric is clearly over the top and tends to support my earlier statements.

Debate over.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

The band director needs to make decisions that are good for the ensemble as a whole. Sometimes those decisions do not make everyone happy.

Even as a guard director we go through this when deciding weapon lines, soloists or small group features. You cannot always please everyone and someone always disagrees with your decision.

Amen! Sometimes you have to limit who can be and how many can be for the betterment of the ensemble. Why have a guard of 30 if you only have 35-40 winds?

In the end, it is the director's decision. IMO, you should be allowed to tryout. Maybe he/she could set the max # allowed on and if you don't make the cut, you march your spot with your instrument.

Have seen this idea raised before regarding someones child in sports. Parents threatened to sue because the kid wasn't playing on the first string enough. The coach was "hurting the childs chances to get into a higher ranked college with a scholoarship". In a perfect world all kids with good arms get to play quarterback and all thespians get the leads in the play. And my sister-in-laws (elementary teach) Reading Recovery program gets all the money it needs to correct problems before the 6 year old badly falls behind. Well the world ain't perfect and only one kid gets the play lead or is first string quarterback. And Reading Recovery only gets to help some kids because the tax base is falling and district admins can't see spending all that money on "dumb kids" (actual quote).

Maybe not your intent but you make it sound like a teacher is like someone behind the fast food counter and is only there to "gimme what I want/paid for".

Back OT: I kinda agree with "Sounds like you need a sit down with the BD, the principal, and you and your parents. Ask specifically why you can't be in CG when the argument seems arbitrarily applied (since the DM plays the same instrument)." But doubt if the principle would want to get involved right away (if at all). Personally I'd ask for more details on the "why not" for your instrument. Pulling a guess outta my butt, perhaps the BD is worried he/she would lose too much experience if both you and the DM are not playing. Know of people who were good enough to play lead but were kept in the lower parts to make up for the people just starting or not that good.

Added edit (thought of it after I logged off :tongue: ): IMO if a person is mature enough to juggle school work and an outside activity like band or sports, they are mature enough to get a full explaination of any question they have. If the BD is not willing to have a full one-on-one to discuss this with you the only option is to go over his/her head.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

It could be that Katie got the DM position, even though she is a very good clarinet player, but Margie is there in that section and plays very well too, so it's ok for Katie to be DM. But, Margie can't do Color Guard because she's the best clarinet and she's needed to play the first part. The color guard will be fine without her, but the clarinet section will be severely disabled if she wasn't there.

My best advice is to discuss this with your band director, have your parents around, and talk about it. Don't get argumentative, don't get an attitude. It will make it worse. Try to understand his rules a bit better, and get an explanation.

Then remember that he is the band director, and you need to have respect for his decision, even if you don't agree with it.

The Katie/Margie story is similar to what happened, but what I'm having trouble understanding is that I went out for guard, placed near the top, was told I was needed on horn. I was disappointed but went along with BD's decision. The next year I was allowed to try out again - same thing - but while I was told I was needed on horn, another girl playing the same instrument (first chair) tried out and was allowed to be DM. I'm only trying to understand why this is OK.

..but what I'm having trouble understanding is that I went out for guard, placed near the top, was told I was needed on horn. I was disappointed but went along with BD's decision. The next year I was allowed to try out again - same thing - but while I was told I was needed on horn, another girl playing the same instrument (first chair) tried out and was allowed to be DM. I'm only trying to understand why this is OK.

What I'm having trouble understanding is that you were allowed to try out for guard if the BD was going to keep you on horn anyway. Nothing like let you get your hopes up and then pull the chair out from under you. Not to mention the BD allowing you to basically waste your time preparing for CG tryout if he/she wasn't going to allow you to join anyway. Wow, old phrase of best way to gain respect is to give respect (IMO) applies here.

As far as allowing to be DM my guess is: DM more important than first chair horn which is more important than CG member in the BDs mind.