Adding Electronics/New Instruments Questions

DCI should step up and have a committment proviso that unless ALL World Class corps are able to financially incorporate sythesizers into their program, no competing corps should use them. I know this may seem extreme, but I believe no one corps, or small group of corps, should have an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE that so constrains another corps from an equitable opportunity to compete and advance in ranking. No corps, by steering a rules change, should put such a burden on a fellow World Class member.

So basically, do you think that every pit should have to have the same exact instrumentation?

If one corps wants to use 3 concert bass drums to help out on impact moments, should they not be allowed because a different corps only owns 1 concert bass drum??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think adding a synth will make corps work less on advancing the quality of performance and precision.

The complexity of the brass and percussion will not change because the addition of a synth.

I do agree with you about the complexity and precision of the guard work, dance and movement.......synth usage will have a major effect on that.....i mean i cant imagine how drastic of a change a synth is going to have on visual designers and staff members......that really worries me..........sacrasm off :smile:

Wow you are good at sarcasm! Your mom must bre proud of you. As proud as she may be about your inability to read and comprehend what was written. Oop's I'm being sarcastic. OK are we past that now? You misunderstood what my point was. I was only trying to say there are many corps that are finacially strapped struggling to keep with with the absolute necessities of corps requirements to stay reasonably competitive. They are always looking to but new brass and perciussion inteurments, uniforms, guard equipment, etc., etc. Many of the lower World Class corps may not have the benfit of donated equipment from a percussion or brass manufacturer. Adding synths, which are costly, at a time when there is such economic fragility will certainly inhibit these corps. It gives an unfair advantage to the haves versus the have nots who are trying to become on of the haves. That was my point it gives an UNFAIR advantage. I don't think that synths are needed and the move to them shouldn't go forward unless all world open corps have a fair shot at having them.

So no, every pit should have the same exact instrumentation but each pit should be comparable in their instrumentation and no corps should be unable to reasonably match up with another because a corps with money or benefactors like Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty, and so on, can outspend them with.

I didn't say anything about synth impacting guards. I didn't say anything about changing the complexity of the brass and percussion although it very well might because it will be a new voice. I meant I'd like to see the corps performances continue on it's current path of evolvement without continually needing to add new elements that would change drum corps from one unique thing into another thing that already exists (band). Drum corps has grown tremendously through the years staying within it's fundamental character. What seems to have been getting lost more and more, is the precision of it. That element, precision, was what made it most unique, and interesting to me personally.

Hopefully you are past your sarcasm and can look at what I said with an open mind and not look to be a jack### for the sake of being a jack###. That gets done too often on DCP.

Wow you are good at sarcasm! Your mom must bre proud of you. As proud as she may be about your inability to read and comprehend what was written. Oop's I'm being sarcastic. OK are we past that now? You misunderstood what my point was. I was only trying to say there are many corps that are finacially strapped struggling to keep with with the absolute necessities of corps requirements to stay reasonably competitive. They are always looking to but new brass and perciussion inteurments, uniforms, guard equipment, etc., etc. Many of the lower World Class corps may not have the benfit of donated equipment from a percussion or brass manufacturer. Adding synths, which are costly, at a time when there is such economic fragility will certainly inhibit these corps. It gives an unfair advantage to the haves versus the have nots who are trying to become on of the haves. That was my point it gives an UNFAIR advantage. I don't think that synths are needed and the move to them shouldn't go forward unless all world open corps have a fair shot at having them.

So no, every pit should have the same exact instrumentation but each pit should be comparable in their instrumentation and no corps should be unable to reasonably match up with another because a corps with money or benefactors like Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty, and so on, can outspend them with.

I didn't say anything about synth impacting guards. I didn't say anything about changing the complexity of the brass and percussion although it very well might because it will be a new voice. I meant I'd like to see the corps performances continue on it's current path of evolvement without continually needing to add new elements that would change drum corps from one unique thing into another thing that already exists (band). Drum corps has grown tremendously through the years staying within it's fundamental character. What seems to have been getting lost more and more, is the precision of it. That element, precision, was what made it most unique, and interesting to me personally.

Hopefully you are past your sarcasm and can look at what I said with an open mind and not look to be a jack### for the sake of being a jack###. That gets done too often on DCP.

Both of your posts are dead on. I've read on here over and over again from some that the ever expanding implementation of new, very expensive toys is not the cause of the demise of some of the drum corps. That's pure fantasy. I'm not saying it's the cause of all of them but, if you don't believe it was a factor in the demise of some of them and still wont be in the future then you're kidding yourself. It's just the right amount of money needed to knock the fence riders budget wise right off the fence. This activity does not need this equpment to expand it's creativity. If designers would focus their energy and imagination on coming up with news ways to use the existing things (like in the 90's) I would be a million times more impressed. Now I'm just disappointed. I'll keep posting it and posting it. Designers, start MBI is you want! Heck I would even come to some of those shows. There is no reason if you want to have Marching band that you can't start your own Circuit (MBI) then DCI could go back to being DCI for real.

Edited by Perry S

Okay, now to a serious note with regard to a corps that may be struggling financially. The problem with too many newer corps is that they do not take care of their business side of the activity first. Too many newer corps think that they need to go across country to finals within their first few years of existance, or have to have their own semi-trailer and all of that. what they need to do is focus on having some stability first. Does a corps need synths...no........would it give an advantage to another corps if they did....possibly. What is more important as that these corps look at their finacial stability first and not make foolish decissions. Synths and amps should not be a scape goat for bad corps management.

Okay, now to a serious note with regard to a corps that may be struggling financially. The problem with too many newer corps is that they do not take care of their business side of the activity first. Too many newer corps think that they need to go across country to finals within their first few years of existance, or have to have their own semi-trailer and all of that. what they need to do is focus on having some stability first. Does a corps need synths...no........would it give an advantage to another corps if they did....possibly. What is more important as that these corps look at their finacial stability first and not make foolish decissions. Synths and amps should not be a scape goat for bad corps management.

That may well be for newer corps and I even agree. I think what some of us are talking about here are some of the established corps that could afford to exist pre "huge pits and electronics and the whole get on the bus and go era" could not afford to exist after those things came into being. I've never said it was the sole factor but, it was one nail in the coffin of some corps. Mike D in a thread was saying "relatively cheap" proposals. He must have only been with corps that were rolling in it (ok an exageration). But for anyone to say it didn't have an affect needs a reality check.

I still feel these things are just the latest "toys" envisioned by folks running out of creative show ideas to add interest/excitement.

Yeah, it ups the costs for smaller and start-up corps.

Really necessary? Probably not.

Will it be effective? I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Oh, when that first bird chirps through the speakers at Ochamachokee High Schools stadium as a preshow part of the Blue Cavadets of Madison County's show:

EarthSongs: Twoodling Caws

(a tone poem paean to PETA in sixteen parts)

. . .that'll be worth it. You'll see.

"So many ideas and so many opinions, so time to start a new thread.

DCI has added amps and electronics and have had woodwind proposals. Sooooo.....

1) Who are the changes directed to? Are they to get more people able to try out for a corps? Are they to get more young people interested in joining a corps? Are they to get more butts in the stands and/or build up the fan/supporter base.

2) Is this gonna actually work?

3) (Bonus points): Should new proposals be more concerned with members, potential members, fans, corps themselves, other?"

1) the changes are directed organization wide. get in, choose to follow, or leave it be. it was presented to give expressive and artistic design options. you run out of options and things get stale if it is the same old song and dance year after year.

2) yes. all of the proposed rule changes take effect every year after they are voted apon. Amplification was passed= big stink and stil having a big stink about it. but whe you go to a live show and you hear what is accomplished in the show with the amplification and what ever rule has been passed = it makes it that much better for you. THE FAN.

3) New proposals will come and go. some will be groundbreaking, some will irritate the masses. They are all done to intice you to come out to a show and experience it for your self. if you are just little john doe, sits at home and doesnt actually go out and see what effect the proposals are having on the shows and on the lives of the dedicated 14 - 22 year olds that spend $1000's of dollars to be involved. you arent helping DCI Move forward. you are one of the ones that causes many corps to suffer because the lack of your support.

GO DCI and Drum Corps! you rock.

2) yes. all of the proposed rule changes take effect every year after they are voted apon. Amplification was passed= big stink and stil having a big stink about it. but whe you go to a live show and you hear what is accomplished in the show with the amplification and what ever rule has been passed = it makes it that much better for you. THE FAN.

Anyone know of a rulle change that was actually rolled back? Especially after corps have spent $$$ on new equipment. I don't think DCI has much of a rollback option unless something majorly bad occurs.