Rooking Out

I'd always hoped to age out at my first corps. There is nothing like that sense of family that you get. I can honestly say, I've not felt the same camaraderie I felt at Southwind. Now looking towards my age out, and my first corps not being back :tongue: , I wonder what are the pros and cons of being a rook out?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although i'm in a different scenario i'm wondering the exact same.

I only marched one year, a looooooooooooong time ago (not a big DCI corps but a small class A corps).

I say one year is better than none.

You DON'T want to regret NOT marching 20 or 30 years from now.

Edited by shawn craig

I only marched one year, a looooooooooooong time ago (not a big DCI corps but a small class A corps).

I say one year is better than none.

You DON'T want to regret NOT marching 20 or 30 years from now.

well I've got three years under my belt, so its not a matter of ever having the experience of corps, its more an... aprehension of coming into to a different world, a different unit, corps, family, so late [at the very end] of my DCI career.

This might boil down to a political question, esp when I've X number of year at a diff corps but then will have to submit to vets of the corps. How do you deal with that issue? I know at VK I butted heads with a few of the members, which was a HUGE deal in a 23 member hornline.

I've been told anything from stand out by example to be quite and invisible. [i dont do the invisible thing well.]

well I've got three years under my belt, so its not a matter of ever having the experience of corps, its more an... aprehension of coming into to a different world, a different unit, corps, family, so late [at the very end] of my DCI career.

This might boil down to a political question, esp when I've X number of year at a diff corps but then will have to submit to vets of the corps. How do you deal with that issue? I know at VK I butted heads with a few of the members, which was a HUGE deal in a 23 member hornline.

I've been told anything from stand out by example to be quite and invisible. [i dont do the invisible thing well.]

Some corps allow you to just be yourself, whether you are an 8 year vet or a rookie. Those are the corps you should seek out.

Some corps allow you to just be yourself, whether you are an 8 year vet or a rookie. Those are the corps you should seek out.

the corps where people speak a lot about family and tradition are a good place to go. Crossmen come to mind.

Since you have had the experience and seem to know what you want, which is good. I would say it's picking the right coprs for you, your goals, and personality.

Perhaps think of one of the other corps you interacted with and knew members from while you marched Southwind that gave you a good impression.

Perhaps think of one of the other corps you interacted with and knew members from while you marched Southwind that gave you a good impression.

Alternatively, you probably know a lot of SW members who marched elsewhere last year. Which people would you like to spend a year with marching somewhere else? Or, talk to all of them and find out their impressions of their new corps and use that info to make a decision.

I agree with sdstar. I got to know a few age outs in the 2008 Scouts that came over from SW and I'm sure there were other SW people all over the DCI map last year.

Contact your old SW corps mates and see what their experiences were like. Its your last year and you're going to definitely want to have a positive experience.

The only con of being a rookout is that it's your last year in DCI.

If you would like contact info for SW guys that were in the Scouts last year you can PM me.