College Park --Finals 2000

The DC area isn't all that great.... like the city itself, kind of scary. But i've never been to the stadium for drum corps, but i have seen a football game there. I like the venue as a whole, and could see drum corps fitting well there.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DC area isn't all that great.... like the city itself, kind of scary. But i've never been to the stadium for drum corps, but i have seen a football game there. I like the venue as a whole, and could see drum corps fitting well there.

DC is fine. It has its sketchy parts like any city, but the tourist areas are great, mostly free, and easily accessable. Besides, ive never stayed closer than 2 hours to the stadium at a finals housing site, so theres plenty of options in surrounding counties, including a lot of drum corps friendly directors that i know personally. Still - i would be happy with a regional there, but if we keep getting annapolis, i wont really complain :blink:

It was great to have Drum Corps in the Nations Capital that year. I grew up in Northern Virginia, and was living there at the time. Not to be biased, but as many of you know, its always great to have Finals in your backyard. Byrd is a good stadium. A little "steep on the angle" the higher you go up, but overall, pretty good. Maybe the upcoming renovations might help that angle? I agree that not having a logo on the 50, was a welcome view.

I think one of the better things that came out of it was the exposure or awareness. There are so many good music education programs in the area. I think at the time, it was a benefit to those students, that they could now see drum corps live. Also I remember there were some corps who made appearances at the various monuments and sites in and around DC. That was very patriotic to see.

I remember last year there was a show at the Naval Academy. Wish I could have been there. The mix of military history as a backdrop to the corps would have been special to see.

If Finals were to come back, I would hope Fed Ex Field gets to be the host. If remember at the time, RFK Stadium was seen as a possible site to host? I do remember in High School, RFK was a good stadium to perform in at halftime of Redskin's Games. But it was a mess to get to if you drove (unless taking Metro). It is also situated in a pretty bad part of DC.

Hopefully Daniel Snyder, (if he is still the Redskins owner), might have a softer spot for it next time around.

Edited by Dmlkmen

I remember last year there was a show at the Naval Academy. Wish I could have been there. The mix of military history as a backdrop to the corps would have been special to see.

The Naval Academy show is back this year. Im also going there saturday for a band show. It's a great place for a show :blink:

The Naval Academy show is back this year. Im also going there saturday for a band show. It's a great place for a show :tongue:

My band is on Friday. It is a great venue to perform in. I liked it two years ago at USSBA Nats better than last year's M&T show, esp as my band is only class II in size.