Marching Band controversy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I loved being in the band my ### would have been out of ther with my families blessing.

Exactly. As much as I loved being in band, I would have refused to participate in something like this. There is no chance that there is NOBODY in the band with family affected by mental health issues. In fact, there is no chance that there is NOBODY in the band affected by mental health issues themselves.

PS- I'm glad there are posters who agree with me on this; I half-expected to get flamed by everyone else for my opinion. :big hug:

----------

Marching Band Routine Offends Mental Health Organization

SAN ANTONIO -- A recent performance by the Churchill High School marching band is being called offensive by some who say the performance was insensitive to those with mental illness.

The band's performance at the University Interscholastic League's state band competition -- entitled "Symphonic Schizophrenia" -- included props resembling padded walls and had some band members dressed in strait jackets running around the field in an erratic manner.

The head of the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness said he was contacted by several people who were upset by Churchill's performance...

----continue the rest at http://www.ksat.com/news/17985375/detail.html -------

Obviously another show made by someone who obviously has a thing for Star of Indiana(and their 93 show).

Anyways, while the party being involved wasn't technically a drum corps, I figured it is worth discussing.

My opinion:

The show itself looks rather terrible from a design standpoint(drill-wise...spelling out words is never a good choice IMO).

Though, the guy representing the mentally ill "being offended" is a ##### who can't appreciate an art form, and is taking their show WAAAAAAAAY out of context.

I wonder what that guy would have thought if he saw Blue Knights(WGI) 2005 show, or if he would have been offended by Phantom Regiment's violence used in their recent 08 show.

Thoughts?

I'll take a Brechtian stance on this one ... If the show causing people to talk, pro or con is immaterial. People are talking about it, and the issues being presented, and that's a good thing.

i'm actually surprised this topic is still here!!

i'm really surprised mike sloan would be behind the design of this, i have met him, and know him... it surprises me, and i know for a fact he knows how to design a show.

But HasBeen has a good point

I'll take a Brechtian stance on this one ... If the show causing people to talk, pro or con is immaterial. People are talking about it, and the issues being presented, and that's a good thing.

Well, I think it's only a good thing if the whole ordeal results in a net gain of awareness rather than a net gain of ignorance.

I have no idea what exact music Churchill is playing, but I'm guessing the title of their show, and a good portion of the music, comes from Danny Elfman's Serenada Schizophrenia. BD played some movements from it this past summer.

Winston Churchill's music included:

Meditation - Samuel Barber

"Gallop" from Fancy Free - Leonard Bernstein

Symphony No. 1 - Samuel Barber

Medea's Dance of Vengeance - Samuel Barber

The show itself looks rather terrible from a design standpoint(drill-wise...spelling out words is never a good choice IMO).

Though, the guy representing the mentally ill "being offended" is a ##### who can't appreciate an art form, and is taking their show WAAAAAAAAY out of context.

I wonder what that guy would have thought if he saw Blue Knights(WGI) 2005 show, or if he would have been offended by Phantom Regiment's violence used in their recent 08 show.

Thoughts?

I would have to disagree with your comment on their design. Churchill is consistently one of the best bands in the state and the nation. This year was no different. Spelling out 4 years at the very end of their show doesn't mean they had terrible visual design..

Everything else you've stated is quite true. This whole controversy is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I sent an email to NAMI san antonio today complaining

Everything else you've stated is quite true. This whole controversy is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I sent an email to NAMI san antonio today complaining

Why do you think it's stupid? And why would you complain to a group that is standing up for a group of people? And how would you respond if you saw a group doing something that was offensive or insulting to you? If we're going to discuss things (as pre supersonic and DCIhasbeen) let's get this part out in the open.

PS - I don't buy the "it's only a MB show" as a reason. IMO, that sounds like either a cop-out or ducking responsibility.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Why do you think it's stupid? And why would you complain to a group that is standing up for a group of people? And how would you respond if you saw a group doing something that was offensive or insulting to you? If we're going to discuss things (as pre supersonic and DCIhasbeen) let's get this part out in the open.

PS - I don't buy the "it's only a MB show" as a reason. IMO, that sounds like either a cop-out or ducking responsibility.

You ARE familiar with the character of Medea right? Its a pretty violent story. I believe that much of the show was depicting the story of medea anyway, especially when they played medea in the closer...

Its not like they were going to design a show on the basis of making fun of mentally ill people. And I really doubt that was their intention. Do you really think that albert lo thinks schizophrenic people run around with straight jackets?

We have seen worse things on a marching field have we not?

As to why I sent him an email- The group demanded an apology from the kids in the group, or the kids were going to apologize to the group, one or the other. How are the kids to blame for this? They took no part in the design process. This teaches the kids nothing except that you should limit yourself when it comes to art because you don't want to offend somebody